Will Hughes

FantasyIreland

The 'new Liam Brady'
------------------------------

Derby County’s highly-rated teenager Will Hughes is attracting widespread interest from Premier League clubs with a possible move touted for the January transfer window, according to reports.

Derby boss Nigel Clough is under increasing pressure from the club’s owners to raise money in January and to make a proactive effort to reduce the squad’s wage bill, which have increased the chances of the 17-year-old midfielder being sold in the new year.

And there will be no shortage of takers after the Daily Telegraph claimed Arsenal, Manchester City, and Liverpool are all interested in offering Hughes his chance to step up to the Premier League.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has reportedly sent scouts to watch Hughes in action on a number of occasions and has received glowing reports from chief scout Steve Rowley.

The Telegraph also understands that Arsenal have in fact made contact with Derby over a possible deal for Hughes.

City and Liverpool have also had representatives in attendance this season and have been made fully aware of his exciting potential.

Derby are keen to resist bids for Hughes, but understand that interest from major Premier League clubs, and the possibility of an auction to raise the fee, will force them to listen to potential offers.

Hughes is a product of Derby’s well-respected youth system, and despite his young age, has already made 16 Championship appearances this season.

Clough rates him so highly he has even compared the midfielder to a young Liam Brady and has praised his start to life in the Championship.

"Will's now played something like 16 games at Championship level, which is an awful lot for someone of his age," said Clough.

"But he is getting stronger physically and he's just improving all the time.

"He was getting tired in the early part of the season, because he hadn't played Championship football regularly, but now he's getting his strength as well and he looks to have no problem at all, physically.

"Mentally, he's an intelligent lad, so that will help."

Hughes has just received his first call-up to the England Under-21 setup and is poised to become the third youngest player to represent the side when they take on Northern Ireland this evening.

Hughes said: “Being called up for England Under-21s is a fantastic achievement on my part and it’s something I’m really looking forward to.

“You look at the names in the squad – people like Jordan Henderson, Tom Ince, Josh McEachran – they are the players I’ve been watching on TV over the past two or three years.

“So to be involved in a squad with those kind of players should be a great experience for me. It was a bit of a shock and I didn’t believe him at first, seeing as my last call-up was for the under-17s. But I’m delighted and I’m looking forward to the game.”

Clough added: "Potential-wise, he could be anything. He's had quite a few days but the call up to the under-21s won't faze him at all. He'll cope with it. He's coped with everything else so far in his life."

Keep him there, unless a club guarantee him playing time (impossible) its best that he just continues to progress in the lower leagues.

An English 'talent' to add to our ever increasing foreign EDS contingent might not be a bad idea though.

Some young lads break into first teams because they have power and pace beyond their years. This lad has neither. Although not slow he must be 9stone wet through!
But his weight of pass, vision, balance and skill are the best Ive seen from a 17 year old. I watch him on a regular basis. He is playing for the England U21s tonight and it would not suprise me if he played for the senior team at some stage. If City want to play like Barcelona, then this is the type of player needed.

incred said:
Some young lads break into first teams because they have power and pace beyond their years. This lad has neither. Although not slow he must be 9stone wet through!
But his weight of pass, vision, balance and skill are the best Ive seen from a 17 year old. I watch him on a regular basis. He is playing for the England U21s tonight and it would not suprise me if he played for the senior team at some stage. If City want to play like Barcelona, then this is the type of player needed.

True indeed. Watched derby quite a bit this year, including in the flesh and this lad really is the real deal. His touch and weight of pass is something else. You just get the feeling he's a step above everyone else around him

Wow,very interesting comments by guys that have actually seen him - might actually be worth the punt.

Sounds promising and it would be nice to bring in some English youth as most of our signings lately have been foreign at youth level. But he is getting games at Derby and has been called up for the England U21s so I'm not sure he'd fancy going into our reserve team... then again will Arsenal and Liverpool offer him immediate first team football either? Not so sure, so the buyer could always loan him back.

You make a great point LC,i think the loan back or loan out would be our best bet,however,if he fancies his chances as a first team regular elsewhere we'd probably miss out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.