''Will we ever have 5 local lads in the first team again"

i kne albert davy said:
stan horne said:
Cant see it myself. In fact i cant see any of the european super teams ever having 5 local lads in the first team dem days are long gone.
Bayern Munich perhaps don't know how they went on this season like did they do owt.

They've got a few Bavarian lads, but think only Lahm is actually from Munich. Correct me if I'm wrong. Still local enough for me though.

lancs blue said:
stanHayes said:
dxbroy said:
You have me intrigued mate, not having a go or anything but what do you consider to be the 'city region' of Manchester?
longsight,gorton moston,levvy moss side, cheetham hill, Town, beswick, ardwick, cholton on medlock, fallowfield. withington, hulm, ancoats,monton, not sure about didsbury... ahh burnage,rusholmwest gorton, sure to be a few iv missed (not sure about blackley & droylsden) ahh colleyhurst Clayton newton heath...whythenshaw.. dont Think northenden iis though

Didsbury is in the City of Manchester, as is Northenden - Droylsden is Tameside.
and Monton is part of Eccles which is in the City of Salford.

hallstreetblue said:
i kne albert davy said:
stan horne said:
Cant see it myself. In fact i cant see any of the european super teams ever having 5 local lads in the first team dem days are long gone.
Bayern Munich perhaps don't know how they went on this season like did they do owt.

They've got a few Bavarian lads, but think only Lahm is actually from Munich. Correct me if I'm wrong. Still local enough for me though.

Contento is from the city Munich, too. He plays for Bayern since he is five - two of his brothers were playing in the youth teams of Bayern, too.

Müller is out of the area - 40 to 50 kilometres away from Munich. That is still an area from which the people travel to work each day - like e.g. his father did.

Schweinsteiger is from a mountain town about 90 kilometres away from Munich. The first years he travelled with a small bus and a couple of other players daily to Munich before he went into the boarding house with 16. Munich is the nearest big city for him, too - even if the distance is bigger.

Badstuber (and now Götze) are born in Memmingen. Memmingen still is nearer to Munich than to Stuttgart and about 100 kilometres away. Badstuber was promised to Bayern or get coached by Hermann Gerland prior to his birth. His father was his best friend.

All of this guys you can call local lads. Bavarians from the wider Munich area for which Bayern was the nearest Bundesliga club.

All of them come out of the area the fans come to the matches at the weekends... (most of the fans do not come directly from Munich but from the area)

Alaba comes from Austria, Kroos from the North-Eastern part of Germany, Can from Frankfurt. They came to the club with 16. They are no local lads (even if Babbel lately said that about Alaba as Austria and Bavaria have much similar cultural background).

-------------

The local lads from Barcelona are out of similar areas around Barcelona. Guardiola is from a town 70 to 80 kilometres away from Barcelona.

I think one question maybe not posed here is are local kids likely to join City?
The days of White, Lake etc joining City was a time when kids (and their parents) knew there was a chance of progressing through the ranks - Steve Redmond turned down the club he supported, Liverpool and joined City for that exact reason.
So maybe clubs like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn offer a better chance for younger players.
Sure they wont get $5,000 a week at those clubs (or whatever they are currently on as youth team players) but in the long term they may benefit more and stay in the game more.

It depends on how many we end up training there. If the intake is large enough, I'd prefer my (imaginary) son to play for City at a young age, and if he ended up being released and finding more regular football elsewhere, he's had an experience that'll help him at the next club. Also, If we try and bring as many in as possible each season for trials, we'll end up with the best a few years later. For me, with the facilities we are building, there is no reason why the promising lads in the region can't come in to the club en masse at a young age, say U11, and a handful grow up and turn out to be outstanding players, then get into the first team eventually. We may see internal youth tournaments in future, final at the mini stadium that is being built. I don't see any reason why local lads won't make it into the EDS, then it's up to the lad.

Unlikely. Youth coaching in England is set to remain pitifully shyte for the foreseeable future. Nothing is happening to change that. The English preference for big fast lumps means at a high level we are attempting to progress the wrong lads. Our selection processes from a very young age leave us with a pool of players who are simply not good enough. That is because they are the wrong players.

Making the very big assumption that the new City academy will be run on a visionary basis involving U9s onwards, this still wouldn't be enough to produce anything like enough players of the highest quality. You would need every youth team in the North West to be running on the new visionary basis to produce the number of players required.

None of this is ever going to happen. The debate in this country basically follows the line that our big fast lumps don't get a chance at leading clubs because of Johnny Foreigner, and our coaching is only crap because our facilities are dire. It's funny how I keep hearing stories of world class South American players virtually selling a kidney to afford boots and bus fare. God help our prospects if the Brazilians invest in decent changing rooms then.

English players don't make the breakthrough because most of them are not good enough. There not good enough as a group at age 15/16 because long before that the quality has been almost completely filtered out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.