Willy Caballero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Willy is generally ok in all areas.
Joe has 'room for improvement ' in the areas of aerial ability, shots to his left and distribution.
Hence IMO Willy and Joe are on a par.
It doesn't bother me which one is selected.
I think some are still underestimating how important the distribution and starting play from the back are to pep's methods. For me it is the only reason that Willie is getting picked in front of Joe. Willie has followed Pep's instruction to the letter, even when it puts him at risk of making a mistake. We played out from the back 90% of instances last night and obviously Pep has no faith that Joe would do that. All the evidence from the half that Joe played vs Arsenal confirmed that. Willie's distribution last night was ok. From the graphic that BT sport showed on his passing, it looked like a 60-70% completion rate which is ok for a goalie. Joe's is normally less than 50%.

Well, that doesn't make any sense.

You can still get your better keeper to do a job and still sell him.

If your mind is changed during this period; great.

That's the intellectual move.

This, if true, will be the only/ first time I've disagreed with a Pep decision.

He has a keeping coach to help/ get him to transition.

It just shows Caballero is still not in JH's calibre despite poor form of late.

If Caballero can't convince anyone of "better distribution" at this point, then there is a personality clash involved, where Pep and Joe are concerned or Joe still not in form in training.

Can't see owt else.

His distribution has been absolutely miles better than Hart's. You are looking at the bits he gets wrong, Pep is looking at the bits he's getting right. Have you ever seen Joe Hart pass a straight ball between the centre backs, 20 yards to Fernandinho etc ? The kids do it, Willy does it. Joe has never done it.

Pep is not counting mistakes, he's looking for intelligence & understanding of what he's trying to do.

Pep's opinion of Caballero will largely have been formed by watching him play for Malaga. When Caballero first joined us, all the reviews I read said that the quality of his distribution was his strongest point. He hasn't demonstrated that so far at City but could that be because he's just become rusty due to lack of game time and then not playing in a system that encouraged him to play the ball out from the back?

Perhaps's Pep believes that with time Willy is more than capable of playing the way he wants him to, whereas Joe just doesn't have the necessary skills.

I think some are still underestimating how important the distribution and starting play from the back are to pep's methods. For me it is the only reason that Willie is getting picked in front of Joe. Willie has followed Pep's instruction to the letter, even when it puts him at risk of making a mistake. We played out from the back 90% of instances last night and obviously Pep has no faith that Joe would do that. All the evidence from the half that Joe played vs Arsenal confirmed that. Willie's distribution last night was ok. From the graphic that BT sport showed on his passing, it looked like a 60-70% completion rate which is ok for a goalie. Joe's is normally less than 50%.
If you took out the first 10 minutes where there were understandable nerves and the team was settling - that graphic would have been very impressive. Conversley those 10 minutes DID happen, however I really think it was initial nerves and that he will grow in confidence and be ready from the whistle going forward.
That all said - I really think the Joe situation has little to do with Pep's thoughts on Willy.

his kicking/passing was abysmal last night - Hart has never been that bad

His distribution has been absolutely miles better than Hart's. You are looking at the bits he gets wrong, Pep is looking at the bits he's getting right. Have you ever seen Joe Hart pass a straight ball between the centre backs, 20 yards to Fernandinho etc ? The kids do it, Willy does it. Joe has never done it.

Pep is not counting mistakes, he's looking for intelligence & understanding of what he's trying to do.

*nods vigorously*

If you took out the first 10 minutes where there were understandable nerves and the team was settling - that graphic would have been very impressive. Conversley those 10 minutes DID happen, however I really think it was initial nerves and that he will grow in confidence and be ready from the whistle going forward.
That all said - I really think the Joe situation has little to do with Pep's thoughts on Willy.
I agree with you. Pep is simply picking the goalkeeper he thinks will best execute his plan from the three available, for now. I believe that we will purchase a new one before the window closes that fits what he requires better than Joe or Willie.

Not really.
Well, yes really. Joe is IMO a better keeper in all aspects of his game to Willy. But who am I to argue with Pep? I think he knows what he's doing, it's just tough on a player who is City through and through.

Because Willy is generally ok in all areas.
Joe has 'room for improvement ' in the areas of aerial ability, shots to his left and distribution.
Hence IMO Willy and Joe are on a par.
It doesn't bother me which one is selected.
He's still miles ahead of Willy though. I wouldn't mind if Willy was actually gifted with the ball at his feet but I think he's awful. I'm not even sure where the myth has come from. He's almost cost us fairly clear cut chances practically every time he's played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.