Wilshere: 'England for the English'

BoyBlue_1985 said:
bluemoon27 said:
Always thought with the cricket when the bleat on England win the ashes etc etc,with only maybe 3 English men in the side,thats really England isn't it
I had to check that out. The whole squad that just won the ashes was all English bar 1 player who has no claim in Pieterson

I'd check your sources if I were you, there are at least three who were born outside the Uk in the first XI (Trott, Prior, Pietersen) and then quite a few others in the squad.

I personally do not have a problem with players who were born in other countries playing for England as long as they are eligible through their parents or residency. What I dislike is the clamour for a particular player to do so before they become eligible.

jaigurugoat said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
bluemoon27 said:
Always thought with the cricket when the bleat on England win the ashes etc etc,with only maybe 3 English men in the side,thats really England isn't it
I had to check that out. The whole squad that just won the ashes was all English bar 1 player who has no claim in Pieterson

I'd check your sources if I were you, there are at least three who were born outside the Uk in the first XI (Trott, Prior, Pietersen) and then quite a few others in the squad.

I personally do not have a problem with players who were born in other countries playing for England as long as they are eligible through their parents or residency. What I dislike is the clamour for a particular player to do so before they become eligible.
I did check it out and they are the 3 born outside of England in the whole of the last Ashes squad. I thought it was only Pieterson that didn't have English parents so my sources were correct with the little mistake i missed with Pieterson having an English parent

I'm happy with the current "gentleman's agreement" between the Home Nations regarding the 5 years in education before 18 rule on non-UK born players becoming eligible for selection. I don't believe it should apply to adult players like Januzaj despite FIFA allowing it.

I certainly wouldn't agree with Wilshere's comment as it would deny someone like Berahino a chance to play for a country where he spent his formative years after his family fled a vicious ethnic conflict in Burundi. He's unlikely to want to return and play for Burundi under those circumstances.

Owen Hargreaves
Matthew le Tissier
Cyril Regis
John Barnes
Luther Blissett
Terry Butcher
Graeme Le Saux

All played for England and were all born outside the UK. Mo Farrah is a prime example a refuge, who has made this country his home.

Jack Wilshere isRe: Wilshere: 'England for the English'
by malg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Brilliant. A fucking Rag scores a couple of goals against the worst team in the league and there's headlines about him all fucking week.

AGENDA............

This

Why is it when anybody who dont pander to the left wing are racists for having the need for a true National side be that football, rugby, cricket and atheletics which none can claim to be English as all are multi national due to the "win at all costs mentality"?
Jack Wilshere is not a racist and i for one feel there is an agenda to rubbish his name for daring to be English.
ALL THIS NONSENSE BECAUSE ENGLISH MEDIA HAVE GONE WAY OVER BOARD BECAUSE OF THIS OVER HYPED RAG.

Carver said:
jared said:
its a Barm said:
He is right you should only play for the country you were born in or your parents.

What if the person in question was born in England but moved to another nation after he was just a day old. And neither of his parents are English. Would that still be acceptable? Cuz you know, he was still born in England.

2006 Italian world Cup winner Simone Perrotta was born in Ashton Under Lyne and moved to Italy when he was 4. His parents and grandparents are all Italian (I think).

He would have qualified to play for England.

Chris Birchall, who played for Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 World Cup, qualified to play for them because his mother was born there when her dad was a diplomat working there.

crazyg said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Personally I think that Wilshere is right.
One thing I can't stand is how the shermans will give a passport to any foreign person at the drop of a hat if it means another chance to wave their flags and play the Stars and Shites.
I have dual nationality as my folks were Irish, but I was born in St Mary's and lived in Fallowfield, so why would I become a plastic Paddy?
Not that I would be playing for England anyway, as I am a fat alcoholic with two left feet.But you get the gist.
You play for the country you were born in.
End of.
You seem perfectly suited to this squad. Are you available for the next 2 matches?

Is that you Roy?.........Roy?.....................................................ROY!!!

Carver said:
Tony Cascarino for ROI: His mother was an Irish citizen, adopted by his Irish grandparents. He only found out that she was adopted 11 years after his Irish debut and he was still played for the national side until 1999. (He really was ineligible as he was not a blood relative).

Yeah, cos adoptive parents don't count as they're not really parents, are they?
WTF? Is that really FIFA's rule - or was it an opportunistic stunt to sell his autobiography?

Typical, England are crap so guess what, lets bend the rules to get some talent in. Wilshere is 100% right.

There are definitely circumstances where "foreigners" could represent England, if they, for whatever reason, have a real connection to the country. But we get this every time anyone vaguely good could in theory play for England. I remember when they said the same thing about Arteta and Almunia because they didn't have a cap for Spain. Pretty ridiculous really. I think parentage or citizenship should be the two measures. If a foreigner loves the country so much that they change their citizenship, then they should be able to represent the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.