Wolves (H) Post-Match Thread

That’s Assuming we go on a winning run which at the moment with this defence doesn’t look that likely. To date we are actually averaging 2 points per game which Is 76 points if carried on all season. Way off our normal performance levels.

It’s not just the defence though. The whole team needs to up the defensive work. The back four is very vulnerable when attacked at pace. In the last two seasons, We negated the threat by defending as a team and pressing the hell out of teams. We aren’t doing it often enough currently and the ball is going from our attack to them having a chance way too quickly. Everton had too many chances for my liking last week and today Wolves could have scored 5 although all were created by our sloppiness.

Hopefully Stones returns capable of playing week in, week out for a decent spell. Ditto for Kev, two big boosts. Allows the removal of Otters or the return of Fern to the midfield roster.

Pep to get his cajones out and consider Bernardo through the centre / give Foden some game time. Gundog is hit or miss, David should be rotated more to keep him fresh.

From reading on here Walker was ill? I thought he looked out of sorts in that he wasn’t driving forward as normal. That was huge as it denied Foden an opportunity today.

Good time for the international break, we need to re-group and find our way again. I’m giving up on nothing at the moment. We are where we are because of two uncharacteristic performances and a failure to take chances against Spurs.

Keep grinding away and be ready to take advantage of any slips by the Dippers.

Not terrible but hardly fantastic either. I think we give them a bit too much credit. If we only had defenders who can actually defend we would put out atleast a few of their counter attacks. Otamendi these days would struggle for a place in Everton, let alone for the Premier League champions. He was fantastic in 17/18 but it’s been all downhill from there.

I honestly don’t know to do with our defense but it’s obvious we have to axe Otamendi and buy Laporte’s long term partner in January. I know Laporte and Stones are injured now but we keep spending crazy amounts of money and still concede almost everytime the opposition attacks us. How many times don’t you listen to Pep’s postmatch comments where the opponents have ”three chances and score three goals”.

With the quality and the experience we have we should be able to fend off a few counter attacks, even when our starting CBs are injured and even for a bad day, we have to be better than this.
That was there 2nd win of the season so prior to playing us they had only won 1 that's pretty terrible, if it was away I could maybe understand it more, but they beat us at home

Just watched their first goal again on MOTD and nobody goes with Traore they all run to the man with the ball, criminal. It was exactly the same for Norwich's second a few weeks ago. They highlighted what I mentioned about Rodri too, what is his position and responsibility? Nobody was doing the break up play and shielding the defence, all the midfield just wanted to attack. I know we were mainly on the offensive but we have to be more disciplined.

MOTD also wanking about Wolves. Sure they worked their socks off but it was mainly ten/eleven men behind the ball and our mistakes contributed heavily to their goals. The joy in their voices makes me pray we somehow turn it around and deny their precious dippers once more.

I can't remember whether City fans had scapegoats back when i first started watching City 65 years ago but there's been a "tradition," if that's the word, of picking out one player to jeer at since at least Richard Edghill's time. Even Shaun Goater, later a cult hero, came in for rough treatment from the crowd in his early days. Gundogan's just the latest in the line.
As for today, if Silva's free kick had been three inches lower City would have won the game and there wouldn't be 90 pages of moaning & mourning. And of course it's not possible to make up 8 points on the league leaders with only 30 games left in the season, is it? When has any team, especially City, ever done that?

Only read 2 pages off flapping
If we can be within 5 points of Liverpool in February, I'm very confident we can go on and win the league
Sane was a major lost for us this season as he opened games like today for us, today Wolves done a job on us and won
Long way to go yet

Not terrible but hardly fantastic either. I think we give them a bit too much credit. If we only had defenders who can actually defend we would put out atleast a few of their counter attacks. Otamendi these days would struggle for a place in Everton, let alone for the Premier League champions. He was fantastic in 17/18 but it’s been all downhill from there.

I honestly don’t know to do with our defense but it’s obvious we have to axe Otamendi and buy Laporte’s long term partner in January. I know Laporte and Stones are injured now but we keep spending crazy amounts of money and still concede almost everytime the opposition attacks us. How many times don’t you listen to Pep’s postmatch comments where the opponents have ”three chances and score three goals”.

With the quality and the experience we have we should be able to fend off a few counter attacks, even when our starting CBs are injured and even for a bad day, we have to be better than this.

Even that's over-stating it. He was pretty good in 2017/18 - certainly compared to now. But still prone to errors and brain farts - look at the CL Quarter 2nd leg vs. Scousers for instance.

I can't remember whether City fans had scapegoats back when i first started watching City 65 years ago but there's been a "tradition," if that's the word, of picking out one player to jeer at since at least Richard Edghill's time. Even Shaun Goater, later a cult hero, came in for rough treatment from the crowd in his early days. Gundogan's just the latest in the line.
As for today, if Silva's free kick had been three inches lower City would have won the game and there wouldn't be 90 pages of moaning & mourning. And of course it's not possible to make up 8 points on the league leaders with only 30 games left in the season, is it? When has any team, especially City, ever done that?
We shouldn't be relying on a free kick to win us a home game against a team in poor form that played away in Turkey about 3 days ago. Wolves had about three 1v1 chances before that free kick and easily could've had a lead much earlier on. The performance and Pep's team selection warrant moaning. All those talented attackers on the pitch and we created nothing.

If we can be within 5 points of Liverpool in February, I'm very confident we can go on and win the league
Sane was a major lost for us this season as he opened games like today for us, today Wolves done a job on us and won
Long way to go yet
It depends on Pep.

I think we have the answers in the squad but we need to bring in Harwood Bellis, Foden and Jesus.

I really do not understand what Pep's problem is with Foden and Jesus. jesus is an absolute livewire and the game was crying out for him. And city's midfield is just too static and slow. You need someone to drive forward and join the forward in possession. That used to be Silva's game, but Foden can do that.

I feel Pep has responded poorly to City's injury problems, and I am not at all sure he is going to change.

Eye off the ball. And MOTD rubbing our nose in it doesn't help.

Sane was not first choice at the tail end of last season. He is always quick to be hooked when he makes a mistake too. Pep is always quick to make negative remarks toward him.

Sane has a better per minute goal contribution ratio than Sterling who the media and Pep salivate over every week but Pep never has a kind word to say about him.

Danilo was never trusted for more than a few games even when Walkers form was dire. So much so Pep shipped him and £30M off to Juve in exchange for a player who, on the face of it, isn't even a significant upgrade.

Pep has some major blind spots when it comes to individual players and as soon as they get on his bad side it seems virtually impossible for them to get back.

On the other hand players like Gundogan & Walker can seemingly do nothing to keep them out of the team for a significant period, despite whatever mistakes they make.

What's done is done now with Danilo, and probably Sane too but unfortunately it feels like Foden is rapidly falling into that same group who just can't win Peps trust no matter what they do. I don't want to see that play out.
You and Pep see football differently. Pep is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the top football coach on the planet - a genius. With Sane, Pep wants him to add other aspects to his game. Look at Sergio - goalscorer supreme - Pep uses his other assets in a way that neither Manuel nor Roberto did. Gundogan does an unheralded job for Pep. Foden's not going to replace David at this stage, but next season he'll fight whoever the competition is for that role.

Last edited:
Long way to go yet
I think kev is the biggest miss to be honest, didn't start vs Norwich and we were piss poor, injured for today we were piss poor, I think when teams sit deep and defend we miss his killer passes that open teams up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.