Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

I thought they were fine. That's how I expect a less talented team to play. If you are hoping for them to play straight up, you are being delusional
Maybe I am, but so did Madrid in that semifinal when we lost at the end. The play acting in that was on another level and they won the champions league that year. Wolverhamptons play acting was very obvious. The refs encouraged it. Piss poor all around. Us included. Not a good advertisement for the game.

The ref does need a mention, as does the inconsistency in the extra time from the time keepers.

The crowd were reffing that game at times and they knew it, so started shouting even louder for all the calls they wanted. The ref also set the bar for fouls early, at a place that suited Wolves far more than it did City, leading to a very physical game. He fell for too much of their play acting as well, Cunha was absolutely shameless with it and should have been booked multiple times for simulation IMO. To top it off, the winning goal was scored by a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch for catching Walker on the shin with his studs in the first half, while already on a yellow card. He bottled it because of the crowd.

We've had more stoppage time than 6mins against teams who wasted far less time than Wolves did in that second half and they were allowed to waste most of that 6minutes too.

Having said all that, we should have been able to overcome all that had we been at it, it's standing out more because we weren't. The biggest reason we lost(besides Wolves doing their bit) was at least some of the stink of that second half performance against Newcastle carried on into this game. I can't have been the only one concerned that would happen. As bad as Philips was, it showed it wasn't all his fault, the team balance was off, too many areas of the pitch where it looked more like a collection of individuals doing their own thing, than it normally does. We were lacking in midfield and not creating enough up top. When Akanji, Walker and Ake are making multiple crosses into the box(all unsuccessful), you know the team is getting desperate. Weren't two of our shots in the second half from Akanji and Walker as well?

Last edited:
They weren't shite, they just couldn't break down their two banks of five. That defence was solid, but it was aided and abetted by Pawson who gave them the confidence to go in hard on us because they knew he'd be more lenient.

He 100% effected the outcome of that game when he booked Walker early doors then failed to book the Wolves player for similar. Let them get away with kicking the ball away at the breakdown, yet booked Alvarez for the same thing.

When he failed to give a Wolves player a second clear yellow, who then went and scored the winner, you can't say that defeat was nothing to do with the referee. Scudamore's 'strategic plan' in full swing. That game was NOT a level playing field.
Except for the Scudamore bit I agree with that. Piss Weak refereeing, Wank should have gone, instead he scores the fucking winner. Of course we should be good enough to beat them 11 against 11 though so it's a poor excuse for losing...

Today we really missed KDB and Rodders (obviously). But the whole team had an off day. I didn't realize Ake was so slow. Maybe play Gvardial against someone like Neto.

Wish we'd bought Neto........... he's very good at ripping teams apart.

It seems we've radically changed our DNA. We had Rodri, Gundo, KDB, Grealish, Bernardo as the midfield; technically supreme players who would make the opposition suffer with constant control. That performance against Wolves was the antithesis of what Pep would want in theory; chaotic, no poise or finesse. Really frustrating.

I thought they were fine. That's how I expect a less talented team to play. If you are hoping for them to play straight up, you are being delusional
The amount of our fan base who have short memories is incredible.

Pre takeover we would have been proud of our team if they had produced a performance like Wolves did yesterday.

We are the best team in the world with a team/squad of magnificent players, do some of our fan base just expect the opposition to sit and admire while we are allowed to play football?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.