Women's Team - 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem seems to be a mixture of things with the womens team.

They too often just don't see the pass forward and think safety.
If they do see a pass, most of the time they are not capable of making the pass. (I would exclude Keira from this)
The movement is too often not good enough.
The first touch is mostly average at best.
And there is an amazing lack of composure shown almost throughout. Keira again the exception.

You will have gathered I was totally frustrated tonight when all the above were glaringly demonstrated. Bristol didn't have a chance of note tonight, we had tons of the ball and did have a few good moments but you never really thought we would score again.

Is this a more general issue in women's football?
Of the few games I've watched (including at the World Cup) most have featured teams who were quite well drilled defensively and set up in two banks of four. However the team with the ball then tended to pass it in front of the defending team with very few chances created from open play.

The problem seems to be a mixture of things with the womens team.

They too often just don't see the pass forward and think safety.
If they do see a pass, most of the time they are not capable of making the pass. (I would exclude Keira from this)
The movement is too often not good enough.
The first touch is mostly average at best.
And there is an amazing lack of composure shown almost throughout. Keira again the exception.

You will have gathered I was totally frustrated tonight when all the above were glaringly demonstrated. Bristol didn't have a chance of note tonight, we had tons of the ball and did have a few good moments but you never really thought we would score again.

Every entry on the Twitter feed was basically informing us of another chance gone begging! The CFC game will be the decider, but I wouldn't put it past this City team to beat CFC and then go and drop points against easier opposition. I was half waiting for the missed City chances being followed by a Bristol equaliser!

Is this a more general issue in women's football?
Of the few games I've watched (including at the World Cup) most have featured teams who were quite well drilled defensively and set up in two banks of four. However the team with the ball then tended to pass it in front of the defending team with very few chances created from open play.

I don't see enough of other women's teams to be sure, but I suspect that City are probably more extreme in this regard than a lot of their WPL rivals because the execs at City want to push the single club aspect with regard to the men's and women's teams. One aspect of this is a single style of play, with the women trying to emulate the men in terms of playing a possession-based game. I'm not altogether convinced it's the best approach for the women, because they don't have the incisiveness of players such as El Mago, KDB and Bernardo to break down packed defences. IMO, that's why they keep knocking it around and not getting anywhere. Better IMO to encourage the women to play attractive football without being quite so wedded to the idea of emulating the approach of the men's team.

By the way, City have brought in Brian Eastick, a former coach with various of the England men's age-group teams and ex-Tehnical Director at Mansour's UAE team Al-Jazira, to assist Alan Mahon. The prospect is mentioned here in an article about Cushing's impending departure: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-city-women-to-join-new-york-city-fc. Meanwhile, Getty Images has some photos of Eastick assisting Mahon in taking training after Cushing had left, but I can't link to them here for some reason. Easy to find via Google if anyone really wants to.

Interesting if, as someone says above, Mahon doesn't want the job. I kind of assumed that this would in effect be his audition for it and he might have a claim if he could win the league. Maybe a new coach in the summer might oversee welcome tweaks in the approach to the game?

I don't see enough of other women's teams to be sure, but I suspect that City are probably more extreme in this regard than a lot of their WPL rivals because the execs at City want to push the single club aspect with regard to the men's and women's teams. One aspect of this is a single style of play, with the women trying to emulate the men in terms of playing a possession-based game. I'm not altogether convinced it's the best approach for the women, because they don't have the incisiveness of players such as El Mago, KDB and Bernardo to break down packed defences. IMO, that's why they keep knocking it around and not getting anywhere. Better IMO to encourage the women to play attractive football without being quite so wedded to the idea of emulating the approach of the men's team.

By the way, City have brought in Brian Eastick, a former coach with various of the England men's age-group teams and ex-Tehnical Director at Mansour's UAE team Al-Jazira, to assist Alan Mahon. The prospect is mentioned here in an article about Cushing's impending departure: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-city-women-to-join-new-york-city-fc. Meanwhile, Getty Images has some photos of Eastick assisting Mahon in taking training after Cushing had left, but I can't link to them here for some reason. Easy to find via Google if anyone really wants to.

Interesting if, as someone says above, Mahon doesn't want the job. I kind of assumed that this would in effect be his audition for it and he might have a claim if he could win the league. Maybe a new coach in the summer might oversee welcome tweaks in the approach to the game?

Agree on pretty well all that. Nothing wrong with a possession based game if you have the right players for it. City were exposed a bit by Utd recently when they pressed and our back 4 or 5 struggled under that pressure. Similarly in the attacking midfield , as you say, passing and keeping the ball is fine but it needs that real quality to create things. That's both with the player passing the but also very much about the movement in front and the touch they have when recieving a pass.

It's all a bit odd, when they click they can look very good, and be high scoring, but sometimes it seems all very laboured. The goals seem to have dried up a bit in the last month or so.

The other night the final ball was really poor but Bristol to be fair got a foot in a vital times on the few occasions we created chances.

The Women back in action today, verse Ipswich in the Women's FA Cup , ko 2pm . Seems a lot of Ipswich fans here ?

On the face of it, not a great result.

Oh and Barclays FAWSL don't even know what is going on in their own league, as we lost 7 games ago to Chelsea, so its 1 defeat in 12.

Need to find a way to beat Chelsea at home though.
Think they must be talking about consecutive WSL home wins because Yeovil are included in the list despite having been relegated last season. The list must therefore include games from 2018/2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.