Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season's league average attendance was a little over 800.

In the early weeks of this season the average has surged, more than tripling to over 2800. Since roughly a third of the season has been played this means 2021/22's total aggregate attendances has already been overtaken.
Impressive numbers, though those numbers include quite a few games played at the main stadium. To be fair, I'd be more likely to watch the women's games at a bigger ground with a bigger crowd.

Impressive numbers, though those numbers include quite a few games played at the main stadium. To be fair, I'd be more likely to watch the women's games at a bigger ground with a bigger crowd.
I've been looking out for the attendances at women's games this season and they are higher than these German games (although I admit they are for last season). We got 4002 for the Liverpool game which is very encouraging. No doubt a contributory factor is England winning the euros and the interest that has generated. Still think it's a pity Walsh, Stanway, Weir couldn't stay to be part of it but heyho, we have new heroes/heroines to support now!

For a long time now I have argued that games played in the men's stadiums can only help spread support for the women's team across the fanbase. Your point about games at your club's main stadium being more appealing to you is therefore very interesting. Would you say a little more about why that is please.

I was at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday night to watch United women vs Chelsea along with more than 6,000 others. This was a record attendance for a women's football game at the LSV. Although it had been claimed that 8,000 tickets were sold for this game, the attendance was still encouraging. It wasn't quite enough make the place feel full but it was a nice occasion and a step in the right direction.

For a long time now I have argued that games played in the men's stadiums can only help spread support for the women's team across the fanbase. Your point about games at your club's main stadium being more appealing to you is therefore very interesting. Would you say a little more about why that is please.

I was at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday night to watch United women vs Chelsea along with more than 6,000 others. This was a record attendance for a women's football game at the LSV. Although it had been claimed that 8,000 tickets were sold for this game, the attendance was still encouraging. It wasn't quite enough make the place feel full but it was a nice occasion and a step in the right direction.
A few reasons I'd prefer to watch the women play in the Etihad than the smaller stadium (though I accept that's neither practical or likely except for the biggest games).I

There'd be a better atmosphere, particularly if City get a 20.000+ crowd of enthusiastic young supporters. I'd get a better view of the whole game at the Etihad, and it would feel like a bigger match. And I'm sure the players would be more motivated by playing on the bigger stage.

So purely subjective reasons !

A few reasons I'd prefer to watch the women play in the Etihad than the smaller stadium (though I accept that's neither practical or likely except for the biggest games).I

There'd be a better atmosphere, particularly if City get a 20.000+ crowd of enthusiastic young supporters. I'd get a better view of the whole game at the Etihad, and it would feel like a bigger match. And I'm sure the players would be more motivated by playing on the bigger stage.

So purely subjective reasons !
Nothing worse though than a crowd of 4/5000 in a 55000 stadium. Everyone sits far away from each other and there's no atmosphere.

I'm just hoping the Academy Stadium can regularly have all 4 sides open and be pretty full. That'd make for a good atmosphere.

Worst thing about that stadium though is how cold it is in the winter!

Nothing worse though than a crowd of 4/5000 in a 55000 stadium. Everyone sits far away from each other and there's no atmosphere.

I'm just hoping the Academy Stadium can regularly have all 4 sides open and be pretty full. That'd make for a good atmosphere.

Fair point about small crowds in the Etihad, I guess it would only get large numbers for a few big games. Shame we didn't get a European run.

I remember watching City Women v Villa at the Academy and then City v Arsenal at the Etihad in 2015 and thinking the Etihad was colder !

that stadium can get really, really cold, so much in fact that my wife refused to go again after one game, and so I had to cancel my season ticket there for the following season -summer season was far better. I've managed to persuade her to go to some games while the men's season is suspended-hopefully she'll not have reason to complain too much!

that stadium can get really, really cold, so much in fact that my wife refused to go again after one game, and so I had to cancel my season ticket there for the following season -summer season was far better. I've managed to persuade her to go to some games while the men's season is suspended-hopefully she'll not have reason to complain too much!

Yeah I think it is too - probably due to the corners being totally open. Then it depends on which way the wind is blowing. Doesn't make it very pleasant in winter.

Yeah I think it is too - probably due to the corners being totally open. Then it depends on which way the wind is blowing. Doesn't make it very pleasant in winter.
It's the fact they went for looks over function on the sides, there's a reason old-fashioned stadiums with open corners (generally) didn't have gaps in the back and open sides. It's a fucking wind tunnel! Even putting something transparent between the roof and the side of the stands would make a difference.

It does looks class though, tbf.

tell her to put her big coat on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.