Women's Team Thread 2023/2024

It's all part and parcel of the women's game in England overall. Can't compete with the bigger European clubs because of the lower wages enforced by the salary cap leading to shorter contracts and top players being poached. I do think there is some leeway with how the cap is applied and teams like Chelsea and Arsenal seem to do things a little differently so don't have the same problem of players moving on.

Some players in Europe are well paid as are some players in England, they must be leaving for other reasons.

The problem is similar in mainland Europe: whilst some players at powerhouse French side Lyon are believed to be on £420,000 (roughly $534,000) a year, coach for the German national team Martina Voss-Tecklenburg called for a minimum salary in her country's domestic league, claiming many players had to take second jobs in order to have enough money to live.

Does any of Chelsea's or Arsenal lose there best players every year or other year? Seem we get targeted by Barcelona kunts

I think it's more a woman thing mate, Barcelona for weather and maybe shopping/lifestyle. We can't compete with that.

*Edit : I have never shopped in Barcelona so I wouldn't know if it was better than Salford Precinct or not ;)

I think it's more a woman thing mate, Barcelona for weather and maybe shopping/lifestyle. We can't compete with that.

*Edit : I have never shopped in Barcelona so I wouldn't know if it was better than Salford Precinct or not ;)

Get that point was do chelsea or Arsenal get there best player taken of them often like we do?

Get that point was do chelsea or Arsenal get there best player taken of them often like we do?

Maybe because it's London? We lose quite a few English/British players don't we? I have heard it said many times on here that people wonder why the best players would come to Manchester.

They could go to London because the streets are paved with gold. It's like players wont move to Newcastle because they wont feel welcome there or that it's a backwater, it's one of the best cities for a night out in the country.

Shopping
Top up the tan
Beaches
The cafe life

Of those we've lost, we've ended up with a better balance.

Weir - as good as she was (and she was), I don't think we've missed her that much, perhaps her spectacular finishes.
Stanway - again not sure she's been missed as much as we thought, she was all about herself for me.
Bronze - went at her best, came back a shadow of her first time here, not missed her.
Walsh - I'd sooner have kept, but Hasegawa has more than made up for her.
Roebuck (when she goes) - can't get a game now, Keating is much better.

If Hemp goes, it'll be disappointing, but Park is good enough, I'd sooner lose Kelly personally.

We'll keep renewing, and nobody gets much money for players in WSL, so not worried about that aspect.
I don't think clubs can continually lose their best players and still progress, people said that Southampton had a great model selling their best players to (usually) Liverpool, but eventually it catches up with you. Players see you as a stepping stone and also, the ability to spot top promising talent falls off.

If we lose Hemp and Kelly, the following year it will be Shaw, Park and Keating. MCWFC=stepping stone FC. Not good.

I think part of the issue is that Chelsea have paid massive wages to keep the best players and have been able to guarantee success.

Arsenal is an appealing place to play your football given players are playing to sell out crowds week in week out. Meadow Park is always sold out, they've played half of their games at the Emirates this season and the plan is to move there permanently. They will need to start winning trophies again though if they want to keep that momentum up. They nearly lost Miedema a couple of seasons back to Barcelona but just about held onto her.

With us, we had a spate of players leaving for various reasons but it was clear one or two of them didn't enjoy playing for Taylor. Whatever the reason was for that it feels like that isn't the case now and players want to be here. Yui, Bunny and Greenwood all extended and we managed to sign someone of Roord's quality and Keating is also here to stay. I really hope our attendances pick up a bit though as we're falling behind on that front.

For Hemp, she is just so good, I think it's inevitable that Barcelona will come in for her and she's going to be tempted. She'll get to play with the best in the world and probs win a champions league. It's great we're having a real tilt at the title this season but we are some way off the very best at the moment. If we want to hold onto someone of Hemp's quality ahead of Barcelona then until we're competing in Europe regularly, we will need to stump up the money. Not even sure what Barcelona's plan for would be tbh given Paraluello is there.

Last edited:
We look certain to lose Hemp and Kelly (contract runs out in 2025).
Can't afford to lose her and Hemp for nothing.

Jess Park did well at blue scouse and has looked good filling in for Roord.
Don't know anything about Laura Blindkilde Brown who we signed from Villa for big money but I presumed that was definitely done with the future departures in mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.