Words you hate?

Had a chat with my son, who is about 9 years old.. he said, the teacher doesn't let us use the word 'nice' or 'good' and if you're handwriting isn't neat, you go back to pencil and maybe you get a reflection (whatever the hell that is)
But anyway, I said, I see what they're trying to do, they want you to grow your vocabulary, use other words etc.. he said, yeah but sometimes things are just nice or good.
Agree 100%. Should never be used; there’s always a better and more meaningful alternative.
I like the words “nice” and “good” because it shows levelheadedness in a world where everyone goes over the bleedin top about everything.

All you see and hear these days is people describing mundane things as “amazing” “incredible” “fantastic”… usually with the adverb “absolutely” before them.

I’d like to see a greater use of the words nice and good in their suitable situations.

Instead of a conversation going;
“What’s the weather like where you are?”
“Oh my god it’s absolutely amazing right now, awesome weather”
(Which is the way people speak these days!)

I’d like to hear more;
“Yeah… nice, mate”

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the words “nice” and “good” because it shows levelheadedness in a world where everyone goes over the bleedin top about everything.

All you see and hear these days is people describing mundane things as “amazing” “incredible” “fantastic”… usually with the adverb “absolutely” before them.

I’d like to see a greater use of the words nice and good in their suitable situations.

“Oh my god it’s absolutely amazing out there, awesome weather”

I’d like to hear more;
“Yeah, it’s nice mate”
Absolutely. For sure.

@MellowJoe is right though - you may like nice, but if you’ve got kids of school age, you’re doing them no favours if you encourage them to use it. It’s a word that betrays a lack of imagination. I have used it on the past as a single slang word, like sweet, sorted but from people who I know who are teachers it’s one they criticise the students for using in written form.

“Oh my god it’s absolutely amazing out there, awesome weather”
(Which is the way people speak these days!)

I’d like to hear more;
“Yeah… nice, mate”
I hate the word amazing and it's overuse, most annoying is when it's elongated, sort of:

aaammmaaaazzzzing

A fat **** I used to do some work for used the word all the time, he's thick as fuck and just jumped on any "in words"

Another one that pissed me off was "it's been emotional" as a way of saying goodbye, I think it was from a film but fuck me it was annoying.

Absolutely. For sure.

@MellowJoe is right though - you may like nice, but if you’ve got kids of school age, you’re doing them no favours if you encourage them to use it. It’s a word that betrays a lack of imagination. I have used it on the past as a single slang word, like sweet, sorted but from people who I know who are teachers it’s one they criticise the students for using in written form.
I think I'd prefer "nice" to "absolutely amazing", kind of understated nail on the head for something that's just a bet better than average.

Paul Heaton wrote and recorded these lyrics in a song about society currently, "What have we become", it's on the money:

"So it's awesome after awesome after awesome after great
We're so busy lovin' it, we've forgotten to hate
When everything's amazing, you'll eat the whole plate
Opinionless, sad and overweight"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.