Work/Life Balance

Well i left that role (Paramedic) in 2014 and found myself something that still offered something to get my teeth into but was far less stressful,it also,bizarrely,paid more.

Now,coincidentally,given this bump,as of tomorrow i am now about to embark on a new challenge within the same industry.At the age of 45 i'm a tad apprehensive about doing such as i have always worked in highly stressful,responsible and demanding environments and i had genuinely began to wind down in life,however,something just told me to give this opportunity a go,and prove myself once more.

I guess i'll soon discover whether or not i've made the right choice...!

Mate, you will smash it, of that I've no doubt.

Interesting thread this. I retired in July 2013 (aged 48) and can honestly say I don't regret it one bit. Spend most of the time playing golf, walking with two of my brothers, going on holiday and seeing my 18 month old grandson develop. Hopefully health permitting this will continue for sometime yet. Quite enjoy ambling into town around lunch time on a European match day and having a pint in sinclairs watching all these crazy away fans congregate and having a laugh. Work was great and I was lucky to get into a good job early on but life is for living now. Put a bit to one side and come and join Andyhinch and me for a pint!!!
That's the bit I enjoy.
Travelling in to town for a night game whilst everyone is working. Sitting in a relaxing bar and having a few pints then a bite to eat.

Bierkeller during the week is £1.40 a pint for John Smiths and £1.70 for Carlsberg, free pool and Sky Sports News on giant screens. Roll on Wednesday!!!

Thanks qr,much appreciated pal.

Yeah all the very best mate.

I won't go into too much detail but i've had an horrendous few months work wise with me going from feeling on top of the world to basically being at rock bottom.

Only thing i have to look forward to from now on is work as there will be little balance to be had and retirement will happen when i drop dead as it stands.

I’m 3 1/2 years from retiring last year we moved house to probably the first house I’ve ever felt at home in since leaving my parents 30 years ago, I’ve lived in lots of houses/flats but always felt they were just places to kip. The area is a better part of oldham (if there can be one) and we’ve got a local pub round the corner managed to take the little girl sledging this week, something I’ve always wanted to do with her. Missus was made redundant in November now has a job in the NHS and loves it, in fact she says the redundancy was best thing that’s happened, everything is fucking great but it’s also made me realise I will need to do something when I retire otherwise I’ll bored shirtless. Just waiting for something to go wrong (that’s the cynic in me) lol.

Pretty much me. I can pick up my a pension at 55 and that's in 18 months time. I asked for an illustration a few weeks ago and I'm staggered at how much it is even though I paid in it 25 years. I'm in another job now and the work/life balance is the best I have had. It's in social housing and I am home based with local travel as and when but I get to make my own diary and it's very flexible. I see no reason to stop until they find me out as work does not stop me doing anything. To be fair I do get a lot of work done but it's not hard or stressful which I've had in the past. I was made redundant from a job ten years ago and have done this since so I have ten years in this pension too. My previous job was quite stressful especially in this recent weather so I'm glad I am out of that now.

My wife's pension is due in 6 months (early and reduced) and she will probably take hers as her income is low so she won't have tax implications and it will boost our monthly income and I might leave mine till I'm 60 as it's significantly higher. That's the plan anyway, going to get some advice.

Which part of Oldham are you? Intrigued to know the better part! (I live in Oldham-ish).

What do you do mate? I ask as my daughter wants to be a paramedic?

I have been a train guard for the past 3 years.As of tomorrow i start as a train driver.

I was in the Ambulance service 13 years,the railway offered me,and half a dozen of my colleagues from the same station,an escape from that.

Being a paramedic is a very stressful and often thankless occupation,it tests every part of your make up and your emotions and,while there are good times,they are infrequent as almost everyday you leave work in a frustrated,angry or even a depressive state - i was at breaking point both mentally and physically.

So...while i wouldn't say don't become a Paramedic,please make sure your daughter is fully aware of the impact it will have on every aspect of her life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.