Working on Server For A Little While

This is the deal (I think):
They can improve the servers so it runs like Usain Bolt on steroids, but they have to wipe the database to that. That means all the classic threads are gone, years of posts are gone and post counts go to zero. I would rather just keep it as it is and put up with slowdown once every week.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
can you fix it this time? like properly?

That's helpful, cheers JMW. I'm sorry if I cannot sit and properly explain to you the complexities of developing an enterprise level architecture on my own that constantly grows, but I find it a bit of a waste of my time. It was fixed last time. Now we have more hits. It needs fixing again. In the future, we will get even more hits, and it will need fixing again. The 8th biggest site in the world, funded by Conde Nast, has spent the last 2 weeks going up and down. A network of computers funded by Sony has just spent the last several weeks going down. This shit happens, and there's very little that we can do about it unless Google happens to buy the site. It's the nature of the beast.

Damocles said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

That's helpful, cheers JMW. I'm sorry if I cannot sit and properly explain to you the complexities of developing an enterprise level architecture on my own that constantly grows, but I find it a bit of a waste of my time. It was fixed last time. Now we have more hits. It needs fixing again. In the future, we will get even more hits, and it will need fixing again. The 8th biggest site in the world, funded by Conde Nast, has spent the last 2 weeks going up and down. A network of computers funded by Sony has just spent the last several weeks going down. This shit happens, and there's very little that we can do about it unless Google happens to buy the site. It's the nature of the beast.
Can see it now....'Bluemoon sell their soul and are now the richest football forum on the planet'

Damocles said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

No offence but we did all the big shut the site down for a day thing and it's still laggy, slow at exactly the same times as before. Add to my failed View your posts button.

I wouldn't have an issue but when it's Ric going "no we won't take donations" and you two saying you can fix the site yourselves, well then rightly or wrongly I expect the site to run quickly the vast, vast majority of the time with maybe a very minor hiccup. But it doesn't, after most games it's the same as before any downtime in the last 12/18 months and recently it does it when it feels like it. It's frustrating when you end up just opening 10 odd tabs at a time and going off to a different site to wait for those tabs to load, then doing the same when you want to view a new page of the thread, because otherwise you'd be waiting all day to look at the various sections of the forum.

If you need help getting it fixed, why not call in help and just take the site above the level it needs to be to cope with our current levels, and potentially higher levels of traffic?

Knowing me you'll say I sound incredibly thick but I don't see why you can't get the site to be able to handle 2 or 3x the level of traffic we have now so it can cope, maybe it's just wishful thinking that we can have a site that works like the others I visit...

He's obvoiusly trying his best to get it running the best he can, so can we just leave him/them to it. We can't do anything about the site only they can. Fact.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
No offence but we did all the big shut the site down for a day thing and it's still laggy, slow at exactly the same times as before. Add to my failed View your posts button.

I wouldn't have an issue but when it's Ric going "no we won't take donations" and you two saying you can fix the site yourselves, well then rightly or wrongly I expect the site to run quickly the vast, vast majority of the time with maybe a very minor hiccup. But it doesn't, after most games it's the same as before any downtime in the last 12/18 months and recently it does it when it feels like it. It's frustrating when you end up just opening 10 odd tabs at a time and going off to a different site to wait for those tabs to load, then doing the same when you want to view a new page of the thread, because otherwise you'd be waiting all day to look at the various sections of the forum.

If you need help getting it fixed, why not call in help and just take the site above the level it needs to be to cope with our current levels, and potentially higher levels of traffic?

Knowing me you'll say I sound incredibly thick but I don't see why you can't get the site to be able to handle 2 or 3x the level of traffic we have now so it can cope, maybe it's just wishful thinking that we can have a site that works like the others I visit...

Maybe you'd be happier somewhere less frustrating if this is getting to you so much? By the way, stop opening ten tabs at a time, this is the exact thing that turns 900 users hammering a DB into 9000 users hammering a DB. Where do you think the info in each of those ten tabs comes from? The exact place that is slowed down.

I expect the site to run quickly the vast, vast majority of the time with maybe a very minor hiccup. But it doesn't,

That's incredible bullshit. The server runs absolutely fine 24 hours a day, 7 days a week apart from the 30 minutes after a game. So what you mean really, is we have 1 hour of messiness in a 168 hour cycle. Our own logs show a 99.999% uptime across the board.

Lastly, what, in your technical opinion, makes you think that we "should be able to handle 2 or 3 times the traffic that we currently have"? Or is that just unqualified nonsense based on total guesswork?

Lastly (again), we don't need the kind of help that forum donations or more technical expertise can supply. Maybe quitting bitching at something that you literally have absolutely no knowledge about and letting me get on with it is a better idea?

c4lv3rt said:
You're doing a great job Damo, keep up the good work mate!

Sorry, although I appreciate the gesture, I'm not looking for backslapping compliments. I'm looking for people who understand that every single site in the world does this, but we made a conscious decision to do it openly instead of behind closed doors. Sure, it attracts stupidity like JMWs, but we thought that the users would appreciate the honesty and transparency. Most would just take the whole thing down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.