Working on Server For A Little While

Quite frankly damo your stats don't back up mine or many others user experience so you can dish out as many condescending terms as you like but in reality you evidently haven't got that.

Other sites with a lot higher traffic manage just fine when meant to be working properly, that's what I'm getting at, when they have a problem they fix it rather than having the same inconvenience to its users for over a year.

But then again call me a fuckwit or whatever else you want to seeing as you're above the code of conduct.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Quite frankly damo your stats don't back up mine or many others user experience so you can dish out as many condescending terms as you like but in reality you evidently haven't got that.

When you come on here for 24 hours a day, like the server logs do, then you have a point.

Other sites with a lot higher traffic manage just fine when meant to be working properly, that's what I'm getting at, when they have a problem they fix it rather than having the same inconvenience to its users for over a year.

A lot of higher traffic sites DO NOT manage with traffic spikes. Ask Reddit. As I say, your knowledge of the problem area is non-existent. You don't know what the problem is, how it could be fixed, what has been done and what hasn't been done that could have been done. Basically, you are arguing from a point of total ignorance. This isn't an opinion based matter, this is a factual one. I can prove my side. You seem to think that a site is a site, and everything should work as well as others with far better equipment. You also have no idea what the problem is to determine whether we have fixed it. You are twenty steps down from the problem and your trying to tell someone who is working on step 1 exactly how it "should be fixed".

Do you want to REALLY know why people don't usually talk about downtime and why others seem to have "database maintenance downtime" once a week and we don't? It's because there isn't "a problem", there never has been "a problem"; there's 1000 little problems that all need addressing at some point. Seems as so I have to earn myself a living and have a social life, I decide to not dedicate myself full time to bugfixing Bluemoon (I do a little bit every week under the cover of 4am) and we can't solve the problem by throwing cash at it (unless we throw LOTS of cash, more than could be counted on as a monthly donation). This is now necessary because me and Ric went for a pint the other day and decided that it is time to get moving on some more of the problems, as I had been off the server for a few months sorting out my own shit and the userbase had grown high enough so that another several hundred problems needed to be fixed to make the site run faster again. For the record, we're both going to be up until the early hours of this morning because we decided that we didn't want to drop the site down during/after the Spurs game, but this needs doing before we can progress.

I'm sorry if I got annoyed and offended you earlier and I honestly don't mean to snap, but I get really, really frustrated when somebody comes on and demands that all 1000 problems be fixed right now, especially when they fail to understand the magnitude of the task. For that to happen, I'd have to work on this fulltime, and to put it bluntly, we can't afford it. So instead, the compromise is to put in 20 hours a week, tweaking everything possible within my own restrictions. Unlike other sites, I can't just port the whole site to Python or change to a different forum because we'll lose the database (every post and username ever) and, yet again, during our meeting Ric and I agreed that it was too high of a cost. So, we struggle on. Every now and again we come across something that fixes 100 problems in one hit and we tell you about it. The day we spent down was the best day Bluemoon has ever had; we're hoping tonight will push us over the tipping point for performance but we'll see. I'm trying not to promise anything, because the gains are purely log based at present, so I don't want to get people excited. The first time that I took Bluemoon down, I said that I will have this site running 10,000 users one day, and I'm still on target for it. We are getting better, bit by bit, just show some patience and we'll be fine. And stop opening 10 tabs at once when the server is slow!

EDIT: Oh, and I just posted that from the new Load Balancer. How's THAT for a test post!

Any chance the work / downtime can be delayed until the rags win the league, and we've lost the cup final and finished 5th?

stony said:
Suspend the transfer forum. That will free up a bit of space. It's not like there's anything to discuss yet.
I love transfer speculation and debating and learning about new players, but I have to agree with you there.

During a match, I'd like to be able to actually access Bluemoon. :/ Just my 2 cents..

---

On another note though, is there a way I can donate to the site and at least help contribute somehow? Wish I still lived in the UK as these US dollars aren't worth a shit, but Damo would it help?

Damocles said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

When you come on here for 24 hours a day, like the server logs do, then you have a point.

A lot of higher traffic sites DO NOT manage with traffic spikes. Ask Reddit. As I say, your knowledge of the problem area is non-existent. You don't know what the problem is, how it could be fixed, what has been done and what hasn't been done that could have been done. Basically, you are arguing from a point of total ignorance. This isn't an opinion based matter, this is a factual one. I can prove my side. You seem to think that a site is a site, and everything should work as well as others with far better equipment. You also have no idea what the problem is to determine whether we have fixed it. You are twenty steps down from the problem and your trying to tell someone who is working on step 1 exactly how it "should be fixed".

Do you want to REALLY know why people don't usually talk about downtime and why others seem to have "database maintenance downtime" once a week and we don't? It's because there isn't "a problem", there never has been "a problem"; there's 1000 little problems that all need addressing at some point. Seems as so I have to earn myself a living and have a social life, I decide to not dedicate myself full time to bugfixing Bluemoon (I do a little bit every week under the cover of 4am) and we can't solve the problem by throwing cash at it (unless we throw LOTS of cash, more than could be counted on as a monthly donation). This is now necessary because me and Ric went for a pint the other day and decided that it is time to get moving on some more of the problems, as I had been off the server for a few months sorting out my own shit and the userbase had grown high enough so that another several hundred problems needed to be fixed to make the site run faster again. For the record, we're both going to be up until the early hours of this morning because we decided that we didn't want to drop the site down during/after the Spurs game, but this needs doing before we can progress.

I'm sorry if I got annoyed and offended you earlier and I honestly don't mean to snap, but I get really, really frustrated when somebody comes on and demands that all 1000 problems be fixed right now, especially when they fail to understand the magnitude of the task. For that to happen, I'd have to work on this fulltime, and to put it bluntly, we can't afford it. So instead, the compromise is to put in 20 hours a week, tweaking everything possible within my own restrictions. Unlike other sites, I can't just port the whole site to Python or change to a different forum because we'll lose the database (every post and username ever) and, yet again, during our meeting Ric and I agreed that it was too high of a cost. So, we struggle on. Every now and again we come across something that fixes 100 problems in one hit and we tell you about it. The day we spent down was the best day Bluemoon has ever had; we're hoping tonight will push us over the tipping point for performance but we'll see. I'm trying not to promise anything, because the gains are purely log based at present, so I don't want to get people excited. The first time that I took Bluemoon down, I said that I will have this site running 10,000 users one day, and I'm still on target for it. We are getting better, bit by bit, just show some patience and we'll be fine. And stop opening 10 tabs at once when the server is slow!

EDIT: Oh, and I just posted that from the new Load Balancer. How's THAT for a test post!

Thank you damocles, that's what I wanted to hear, much more informative than you shouting at me lol.

You know my level of technical prowess(or lack of it) from the little lessons you were giving me a few months ago, so there we go ;p.

My bad dudes, tried to do something a little early and it has slowed the forum. Apologies, I'll wait until daft AM again. :)

WE ARE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...WE ARE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Damo... "if you have more than one username, get out... you're banned, ban that fucker whose username looks like a fish..." ;o)

ahaha

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=166028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=12&t=166028</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.