World Cup 2018 | 17th June Matches | Next Game: Brazil vs Switzerland, KO 19:00 (BST)

I think Croatia, Mexico and Belgium are the ones outside the obvious favourites that you'd want to avoid until the latter stages if you had the choice.

I didn't realise how good of a starting line up Croatia have until their game on Saturday and Mexico surprised everyone even though Germany weren't at their best they weren't allowed much encouragement either.

Brazil look like a very unbalanced side. They are a group of individuals not a team. Neymar is too selfish to be a world-class player...just another Robinho I think. I really think this is a wide open tournament.

I think that's only the case because the coach has clearly built the whole team around Neymar. And Neymar is no Ronaldo. And unlike Ronaldo, he's got several other world class players around him. Neymar was kicked to shit last night, but he was sort of asking for it too. He's got to learn to release the ball more, to those who are in more space than he is. If he does, they'll be a dangerous team, and I still have them down as favourites, with a couple of others. If he doesn't, they'll go out.
It's an interesting tournament, though. We've seen some pretty good matches, and one cracker (Spain-Portugal). The second round of matches will greatly clarify whether Germany-Mexico, France-Australia, Brazil-Switzlerland, Argentina-Iceland were just glitches.

I've seen Brasil against Suisse many times and I can't recall Neymar ever playing well against us. Lichtsteiner is an aging defender now but Behrami covered brilliantly, not sure Valon lost out on any duels for the night. Thougth Behrami & Akanji were outstanding. Lucky on the goal but the Suisse played their gameplan perfectly while Tite will need to address many issues - Paulinho can't start over Fernandinho and Neymar has to stretch the pitch on that left side. Willian was the bright spot, he was everywhere - can't believe he is going to be 30, would love him at Barcelona

I think that's only the case because the coach has clearly built the whole team around Neymar. And Neymar is no Ronaldo. And unlike Ronaldo, he's got several other world class players around him. Neymar was kicked to shit last night, but he was sort of asking for it too. He's got to learn to release the ball more, to those who are in more space than he is. If he does, they'll be a dangerous team, and I still have them down as favourites, with a couple of others. If he doesn't, they'll go out.
It's an interesting tournament, though. We've seen some pretty good matches, and one cracker (Spain-Portugal). The second round of matches will greatly clarify whether Germany-Mexico, France-Australia, Brazil-Switzlerland, Argentina-Iceland were just glitches.

If you take the Olympics as a guide, they started that in similar fashion, with Neymar running up his own arse, nobody passing to Jesus, & generally disorganised, then realised more teamwork was needed & started to click (with Neymar running up his own arse but also passing occasionally).

Involving Jesus may be the key as to Brazil winning or crashing out of the World Cup imo. He will play 1-2s with anybody, score goals & get the football moving, if they use him. As he did in qualification, when they were struggling.

Agree with your point. I thought Brazil were just too slow. Neymar slowed it down a lot and was slow to release the ball. Paulhino was truly dreadful. Brazil always seem to have one donkey in a team of magicians. Remember Serginho.
Funnily enough I thought Argentina were the same. Everything went through Messi and he was too slow at releasing the ball. He could have played Sergio in for almost certain goals on three occasions. Both teams would benefit from having a KDB style player.

Gabi Jesus ran his socks off for the team last night and got precious little reward for it, as far as I could see. He looked a bit miffed when he was brought off, and I understand him. When Neymar learns to actually play with the talent around him, then they'll be one hell of a team.
Imagine Pep managing that team. Mind you, two or three would probably be benched, if not thrown out, straight away.

Thompson_Twins.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.