World Cup 2018 | 18th June | England vs Tunisia Match Thread

England were by far the better side unfortunately Sterling and Lingard were awful had we took our chances could/should have been 5 or 6 one up the referee was crap VAR great except when England need it, no surprise there then.

It must be so strange for Sterling, Walker and Stones that they gets to the world cup finals the supposed pinnacle of world football only to find himself playing in a weaker team and playing a lower standard of football than they do week in week out every week doing their day job.

Just think, Sterling wins the ball and looks to release Sane, Silva, DeBryne, Jesus or Aguero.
He does this with England and is faced with Lingard, Henderson, Young, Alli or Kane.

Actually you are wrong, because most of the time he has no one to pass to.

It must be so strange for Sterling, Walker and Stones that they gets to the world cup finals the supposed pinnacle of world football only to find himself playing in a weaker team and playing a lower standard of football than they do week in week out every week doing their day job.

Just think, Sterling wins the ball and looks to release Sane, Silva, DeBryne, Jesus or Aguero.
He does this with England and is faced with Lingard, Henderson, Young, Alli or Kane.

But its the same for plenty of other players, Messi and Ronaldo included.

The trouble playing Henderson, Lingaard and Dele in midfield is that nearly all the work falls to Henderson and he is too hesitant to play quick passes. Lingard and Alli are not center mids.
Henderson is too slow to realize a pass and because of this he invariably plays it back to where it came from, killing any momentum. He came out of his shell twice and played two superb balls in behind but it was twice all game.

To be honest not far wrong are they.

Alli and Lingard where the worse 2 on the pitch, closely followed by young. Granted Sterling didn’t do much but I don’t think he was worse than any of the others mentioned. Walker should be right back, he’s liable to make a mistake at centre half as he’s not played there enough.

Sterling had a bad game yes but why are people insistent that he either plays in that position or not at all, does it not occur the reason he looks to be struggling is because he's not being used right or in the right position?

On that note has Southgate ever played Sterling on the right even before the formation change? For England I can only remember him playing at left-wing because of some belief Chamberlain had to be play on the right when neither of them looked right in those positions. Now he's playing as a support striker in behind Kane but again he's never looked comfortable there that I can recall.

I'm not a fan of this formation personally but if we have to stick with it then clearly even Sterling at 80% is a damn sight better than Lingard on the right side of midfield. Vardy for me should be the support striker, he can offer the runs and chasing down which Kane doesn't. Loftus-Cheek for Deli, Rose for Young enough said. Delph should at least get some minutes in Henderson's position after his showing in the warm up games. I don't rate Dier at all but if the other two aren't delivering only then should he get a chance.

4-3-3 get people playing to their strengths, Walker is never a centre back and should be bombing on the right with Sterling in front of him. Have Vardy and Sterling either side of Kane.

The trouble playing Henderson, Lingaard and Dele in midfield is that nearly all the work falls to Henderson and he is too hesitant to play quick passes. Lingard and Alli are not center mids.
Henderson is too slow to realize a pass and because of this he invariably plays it back to where it came from, killing any momentum. He came out of his shell twice and played two superb balls in behind but it was twice all game.

He spends too much time recovering his poor first touch.

BBC "Henderson was exceptional"

What the fuck are they seeing, sideways pass or backwards for 80% of the game, barely involved in any of the buildup play for anything meaningful. Get Delph in.

I’ve just had this debate with some mates. He wasn’t bad tonight, but he isn’t right for that pivot role. He’s not comfortable with the ball at his feet. He got praise tonight for what he did, but not get pulled up and criticised for what he should of been doing. But to be fare, because Alli and Lingard were poor he ended up trying to do everything.
He can’t dictate the pace of a game. He isn’t good enough at keeping the ball. The link between Him and the forward line was so shit, it made Kane and Sterling look crap.

I’d have Delph as the pivot, loftus cheek and Sterling in front of him and Kane and Vardy in front of them.

Loftus Cheek has to start the next game. Looked very good when he came on.
Thats cos hes an actual center midfielder. As soon as someone who knows the position comes on it shows up Lingard and Alli for what they are. Alli had one very good season playing off the striker in an adncanced role. Same goes for Lingard who hasnt even had one very good season yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.