Worse return journey home from away game after watching City

One that springs to mind for me was Blackburn a few years ago. It was the last day of the season and we lost 2-0 in (I think) Pearce's last game in charge. My mate's car broke down on the way home meaning our final depressing memory of a depressing season was standing by the side of the M65 in the pouring rain waiting for a breakdown truck. Only about 30 miles from our house to Blackburn but it took us about 4 hour to get home.

pedrospiderpig said:
derby away in 1990, my dad had died a few weeks before and we got snotted 6-0, just what the doctor ordered-not.
also remember ipswich away early 80,s all the way there and when we got there the old bill made us take our laces out of our boots the morons, 15 minutes into the match we go 4 nil down happy days being a blue

Yes Derby away, 6-0 loss, then got split up from my mates and couldn't find where we parked the car. Finally found the place but no car and no mates, absolutely sinking feeling, ontop of the result aswell. Spent a while traipsing round some dodgy streets and finally found the main road, which was chockablock with cars. After a few minutes of walking up this with my thumb out my mates drove past and picked me up. Still a shit journey back though.

Citizen52 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Worst journey I did was after the 2-2 with Pompey, the week before we got promoted at Blackburn.

City put a train on. There was no booze. It took about 7 hours to get back. I was sat with some right bores too.

that was one tedious journey.

I remember that well. Left at 8:30am from Picc and got back God knows what time. Train stopped in London for about an hour on the way back. We got to Portsmouth about 1:15pm - it definitely took longer coming back. Think I got in about 1-2am.

We were cruising in that game as well. Bloody Lee Bradbury.

Yep remember this one mate.

Pompey away days seem to be cursed for me, this one and another couple involving them, when the game got called off not long before kick off, and most of the travelling blues, had already arrived/nearly arrived at the ground to find out the game was off!

And a few seasons ago when we played them on a sunday at 4pm on sky, finished 0-0, shite game. And we were on the front row, and it was fucking lamping it down. Soaked all the way home, and only one toilet stop!

DanCity2890 said:
Citizen52 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Worst journey I did was after the 2-2 with Pompey, the week before we got promoted at Blackburn.

City put a train on. There was no booze. It took about 7 hours to get back. I was sat with some right bores too.

that was one tedious journey.

I remember that well. Left at 8:30am from Picc and got back God knows what time. Train stopped in London for about an hour on the way back. We got to Portsmouth about 1:15pm - it definitely took longer coming back. Think I got in about 1-2am.

Pompey away days seem to be cursed for me, this one and another couple involving them, when the game got called off not long before kick off, and most of the travelling blues, had already arrived/nearly arrived at the ground to find out the game was off!

And a few seasons ago when we played them on a sunday at 4pm on sky, finished 0-0, shite game. And we were on the front row, and it was fucking lamping it down. Soaked all the way home, and only one toilet stop!

You don't need that.

I think I remember the one you're on about, Nugent hitting the post with a volley, think we got battered in that game and somehow got a point off memory. Didn't go that time mind.

Yeah the whatever could be said about the game at Easter 2000, at least it was sunny that day! (Milton End had no roof back then).

Citizen52 said:
DanCity2890 said:
Citizen52 said:

You don't need that.

I think I remember the one you're on about, Nugent hitting the post with a volley, think we got battered in that game and somehow got a point off memory. Didn't go that time mind.

Yeah the whatever could be said about the game at Easter 2000, at least it was sunny that day! (Milton End had no roof back then).

Yeah mate haha.
That's one strange away end.
Through the turnstyle and it's like being in someones back yard.

One that sticks in my mind, Boundary park, think it was 0-0. No roof, just a tee shirt, pouring down with rain, no money to buy a replacement t shirt, sat on a train all the way back to London very damp.

citymad said:
One that sticks in my mind, Boundary park, think it was 0-0. No roof, just a tee shirt, pouring down with rain, no money to buy a replacement t shirt, sat on a train all the way back to London very damp.

I remember that one ......

i was stood at the bottom of the open end in about six inches of water ... what a wash-out that was!

black mamba said:
citymad said:

I remember that one ......

i was stood at the bottom of the open end in about six inches of water ... what a wash-out that was!

I remember after the game passing loads of launderettes with blues down to their grunners whilst the tumble driers were full of jeans, socks, shirts, etc. Class!

One (of many) that springs to mind is a midweek defeat at Reading (might have been one of Coppell's few games in charge) - just for the sheer banality of the situation and drive back. Just bleak. For a home game it has to be being relegated against Luton and then finding the car had been towed away. We thought that finding that isolated parking space was a stroke of luck - turns out it was the entrance to a church and there was a wedding on. Return home from the last game at Maine Road was also pretty emotional.

black mamba said:
targo said:
Gotta be Southend, Full Member's Cup, 0-0 score on a Tuesday night, with loads of Chelsea fans hovering outside. Their ground's a real schlep to get to.
But after the game, we walked round the front and the caterers were unloading their vans, so one lad who was with us picked up a tray of sarnies & walked up the steps into the hospitality suite. Vic Jobson (their chairman) realised we were city fans & invited us in for a butty & a pint.

This was Jimmy Frizzell's first match in charge (after Billy Mc), and one of our lads saw him outside & said "We're right behind you, Mr Frizzell" & he turned round and said "Hey.........it's Jimmy" in his dour Scottish voice.

Must've got back about 4 in the morning! Happy days...

I was at that Southend game ... i finally got back home about 5am , had an hours sleep , then got up for work !

Other bad ones .... Oxford away , pouring rain , 0-0 draw .... soakin' wet trousers on coach all the way home !

Watford away ....... train caught fire on way home , had only got about 300 yards out of Watford gap station too!

Was that Watford game late 80's - I think I was on that train? I was only a 12/13 year old so can't remember the exact game?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.