Worst bands or solo artist you have seen live

Seen hundreds of gigs, and worked at many that I'd not have paid to go to but been impressed by artists and performances along the way.

Worst paid for gig, Stevie Nicks 1989 at the NEC - probably not her fault but the sound was terrible, inaudible at times, only stuck it out in the hope it would improve, but as she only played 13 songs for just over an hour.

Worst gig worked at, Metallica 1992 NEC - again sound was an issue, it was so loud and the mix so bad it was terrible, and to cap it off, when photographing a gig you tend to shoot the first three songs, then leave or watch the rest of the show if you wish, Metallica had the idea that you shoot the last three songs, and have to put up with the whole show.

Haha, great story about Metallica that.

Thinking on, your Nicks tale puts me in me of seeing Whitesnake for the first time. It was at the NEC too, and on the 87 album tour, so I’m guessing it was 88.
Having listen to Live In The Heart of the City till it wore out, and even loving Slide it In, I was so disappointed when I eventually saw them.
All posing and stringing it out, Coverdale dressed up like a Xmas tree,
a set that lasted all of 1 hour 15 mins.

I’ve not been underwhelmed at many gigs where I’ve really been looking forward to seeing the act (as opposed to going with a mate or girlfriend who liked the band more), but Whitesnake was one.
The other would’ve been Aerosmith; very slick, and certainly better than Coverdale circa 88, but I got the distinct impression they were going through the motions.

Surely people going to a Dylan gig know it’s gonna be shite ?!
It’s just for the fact you’re seeing a legend and worlds greatest songwriter live.

Haha, great story about Metallica that.
Thinking on, your Nicks tale puts me in me of seeing Whitesnake for the first time. It was at the NEC too, and on the 87 album tour, so I’m guessing it was 88.
Having listen to Live In The Heart of the City till it wore out, and even loving Slide it In, I was so disappointed when I eventually saw them.
All posing and stringing it out, Coverdale dressed up like a Xmas tree, a set that lasted all of 1 hour 15 mins.
I’ve not been underwhelmed at many gigs where I’ve really been looking forward to seeing the act (as opposed to going with a mate or girlfriend who liked the band more), but Whitesnake was one. The other would’ve been Aerosmith; very slick, and certainly better than Coverdale circa 88, but I got the distinct impression they were going through the motions.

That happens to a few bands doesn't it. I was never a fan of Coverdales Deep Purple, much preferred Gillan, but liked Whitesnake with Marsden and Moody until Saints and Sinners. Coverdale seemed to sell out to the American market losing the blues/rock that's so great on 'Live... in the heart of the city', and going for big hair and leather trousers, they even re-mixed a good song in 'Here I go again' five years later to fit into the US market.

Had to laugh about your Aerosmith comment, always struck me as a band on the verge of killing each other, it showed in live performances. But somewhere along there career, someone would hit the reset button, send them away for two years and then bring them back and do it all again.

Furniture at the International 1 fuck knows what year.... 86?
They had the one hit "Brilliant Minds" and on a wet Monday night, the 50 of us there only knew that one song. Every other song just sounded awful and no one knew them. Everyone just stood there.....
They went off for the encore... Did one song and then the singer said "I guess this is the one song you all came to hear..." and everyone danced like mad.... Song ended and off we went....

Did you catch Lee doing Forever Changes about 2003, backed by Baby Lemonade? Really good shows. Lee had been through many ups and downs by then.

Went to that at The Academy and it really was quite brilliant once Arthur had bollocked tbe crowd. He returned again a couple of times and was great but not quite as good as the first one.
Worst one I've seen was Paul Rodgers at The Apollo about 20 years ago when he was just terrible. And yet I saw him at The Academy in 1994 (with Steve Vai IIRC) and it was a fantastic night.
Now, the greatest singer this country has ever produced is a Canadian citizen and wears a syrup!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.