Worst decision by Peter Swales?

piffy on a rock bun said:
Strange as it sounds the minutes silence at maine road after he died was one of the most respectfull things I have ever witnesed, but there is no getting away from the fact he did a lot of serious damage to the club he loved.

Agreed! It was very much a case of "you hurt those closest to you". There is no doubt he loved City, however his quest to make City better than United clouded his judgement, and consequently destroyed the club he loved dearly. In the late 60's and 70's we were a top top side. After we went down in 1983 against Luton we started down the long dark tunnel of the footballing wilderness which we are only just coming out of!

big phil said:
Enough. Peter Swales was a blue. And he got loads of things wrong. But he did it for the right reason (overthrowing the evil empire). 99% of us would have have done the same, he would have sold his soul to see City as top dogs. And I have a little difficulty hearing bad things about genuine blues, no matter how misguided. Have some respect, the blokes dead ..........
hear,hear the man only ever had citys interest at heart leave be

Worst decision by Swales

To try and get his name in the Guinness book of World records for the longest time anyone has balanced a shredded wheat on their head.

musters said:
big phil said:
Enough. Peter Swales was a blue. And he got loads of things wrong. But he did it for the right reason (overthrowing the evil empire). 99% of us would have have done the same, he would have sold his soul to see City as top dogs. And I have a little difficulty hearing bad things about genuine blues, no matter how misguided. Have some respect, the blokes dead ..........
hear,hear the man only ever had citys interest at heart leave be
So his postion on the FA international committee ment nothing to him and at no point in your view did he put that post and maintaining it ahead of Manchester City?

This is a good thread actually.

There's no doubt that Swales's chairmanship was disasterous for City.

When he took over we were one of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the land in terms of attendances and trophy wins.

We've never recovered from that.

The fact that today's kids go round saying City have "no history" is directly down to Swales.

The fact that he loved City and he's dead doesn't change any of the above. I believe he was a quiet and loyal man behind closed doors, but he was a terrible chaiman.

There's a very interesting interview with his wife in the book "Blue Moon Rising". She talks of the time he was ousted and the fact that they had police protection. She talks of the time when leaflets went round the pubs with his address on there.

I remember that.

His biggest mistake of all? Holding on for dear life to try not to sell to Franny.

Cost him his life.

Didsbury Dave said:

When he took over we were one of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the land in terms of attendances and trophy wins.

The fact that today's kids go round saying City have "no history" is directly down to Swales.

The fact that he loved City and he's dead doesn't change any of the above. I believe he was a quiet and loyal man behind closed doors, but he was a terrible chaiman.

There's a very interesting interview with his wife in the book "Blue Moon Rising". She talks of the time he was ousted and the fact that they had police protection. She talks of the time when leaflets went round the pubs with his address on there.

I remember that.

His biggest mistake of all? Holding on for dear life to try not to sell to Franny.

Cost him his life.
Top post mate, although in terms of the club I don't think it was his biggest mistake, personally though thats very true.......

Didsbury Dave said:

I remember that.

Cost him his life.
Brilliant post mate

Here's a few little memories I have from the "Swales Out" campaign.

Who remembers a night match, I'm sure it was on Sky, where fans were going to light candles. Swales got them classified as a fire hazard and banned them.

Also, I remember a sit down protest on the Kippax after another game. Thousands of us were sat down for half an hour chanting.

Can anyone confirm the above?

We all remember storming the main entrance of course. It used to be every bloody week.

The candle protest was planned for a televised Monday night game against Oldham, I think (I have memories of it being a 1-1 draw and them wearing green but that may be the mind playing tricks). As you say, it was banned for fire safety reasons. I don't remember the sit down protest but I was working away at the time and didn't get to all the games.

As I recall, the protests lost momentum after the initial surge because the team started doing quite well in Horton's early weeks. It all picked up again through November and December when a run of bad results put us in or near the relegation zone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.