Worst decision by Peter Swales?

One of his biggest mistakes cost us our top flight status....

In summer 1982, he sold Trevor Francis because his wages were too high.....
..... 5k supporters disappeared......
Those supporters alone would have more than paid his wages...

......and we would not have been relegated...<br /><br />-- Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:22 pm --<br /><br />One of his biggest mistakes cost us our top flight status....

In summer 1982, he sold Trevor Francis because his wages were too high.....
..... 5k supporters disappeared......
Those supporters alone would have more than paid his wages...

......and we would not have been relegated...

One of his worst decisions has to be not taking AJ to the world cup in 2010.

marcus said:
he was a blue obsessed with topling united, arent we all??

This was the problem with Swales. He thought like the dafter elements of our support. Not like a chairman.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
To an extent I agree with you, if it had only been one poor purchase but there were several. Daley £1,4m, Stuart Lee (can't remember the fee exactly, but I think it was approaching £100K, Barry Silkman £750K, Michael Robinson £750K, Steve Mackenzie £250K + a handful of kids already mentioned, replaced established International class players Watson, Barnes, Kidd, Channon etc. These were absolutely huge sums of money back then and we only received £750K for Barnes who was an established full England International. With hindsight Tony Book should never have been sacked, and it was utter madness, to bring back solely in charge Malcolm Allison. Consequently Allison and Swales are equally to blame for the last 30 odd years of pain and suffering, that we as fans have had to endure. Fortunately we are emerging from the nightmare and I'm sure the good times are within touching distance.
Spot on mate, that was really my point, Daley has become a symbol of the whole Allison era and....... while he was a truelly dreadful buy, it was the fact we made a bunch that caused us the issues. You left off Bobby Shinton at 300k btw!(he worked out at 60k a game). Daley on the other hand played 48 times for the club, so that works out at about 30k a game!

OMG I forgot about Bobby Shinton lol. 60K a game deary deary me!!

One of his biggest mistakes was the continual wearing of that sky blue bri-nylon suit.

You could never take a man seriously with his sartorial elegance, coupled with with the combover and cuban heels, it was always going to be an accident waiting to happen.

As an aside does anybody remember the 'city suits' they used to sell in the souvenir shop? If you can imagine a pinstripe suit without the pinstripes but replaced with the words 'man city' that was the cut of it. Maroon as well if i'm not mistaken? Or have i imagined this on one of my chemical induced states?

1_barry_conlon said:
One of his biggest mistakes was the continual wearing of that sky blue bri-nylon suit.

You could never take a man seriously with his sartorial elegance, coupled with with the combover and cuban heels, it was always going to be an accident waiting to happen.

As an aside does anybody remember the 'city suits' they used to sell in the souvenir shop? If you can imagine a pinstripe suit without the pinstripes but replaced with the words 'man city' that was the cut of it. Maroon as well if i'm not mistaken? Or have i imagined this on one of my chemical induced states?

Barry....amusing City merchandise has got to be worth a thread on its own...

I'm sure I've got a pair of "We aim straight at Maine Road" underpants somewhere.

1_barry_conlon said:

I know a lad from Oldham who got married in one... Seriously. Ray Drobny was his name... A huge blue and one to be with at places like Elland Road in the mid 70's.
If you're on here ray... give me a nod...

levets said:
1_barry_conlon said:

I know a lad from Oldham who got married in one... Seriously. Ray Drobny was his name... A huge blue and one to be with at places like Elland Road in the mid 70's.
If you're on here ray... give me a nod...

The only time i'd ever seen one worn was at an away game to Leicester once. I must have been 12ish so mid 70's and was the one and only time i'd ever been with the supporters club,god knows how it happened.

Anyway, Helen was on it so it must have been the main coach i presume and also at the front there was (or it seemed at the time,they were probably younger) an old couple sat at the front and he was wearing one while his missus was also decked out in all things city. It must have been made from nylon or something as it was covered in snags where the nylon had obviously been caught on slightly sharp things.

The other memory from this is going in a chippy in Leicester, asking for a pudding and them looking at me like a complete twot and telling me it was a chippy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.