Would you miss MOTD?

In fairness, the Antiques Roadshow has experts who know what they're talking about.

To answer the OP's question, yeah, I'd hate to see it go but, my God, it sorely needs some new faces. Maybe some thought-provoking journalists instead of steady stream of consistently bland ex-pro's?

They can save money by just having one person (doesnt have to be an ex player on a shed load of money) introducing each game - doesnt have to be on screen, just a voice. I dont watch MOTD to hear what Hansen, ''Lawro'' et al have to say, just want to see the goals.
Give us the games, lose the ex pros. Money saved and more times on the games given too.

DavidM said:
The BBC just cannot afford top level sport.
Top level sport costs more and more money and a terrestrial TV station without advertising is going to seriously struggle to fund the money it takes to buy the TV rights.

Taken from the BARB website for BBC1 viewing figures, a typical Saturday night:

Strictly 11.78m viewers
Merlin 7.32m viewers
Casualty 5.18m viewers
MOTD 4.22m viewers

Some weeks it does not even figure in the top 30 programmes on BBC1!

Even Countryfile with 7.75m and Antiques Roadshow with 6.57m get more viewers.

You cannot compare MOTD's ratings with ''Strictly'' (fucking hate that term)
One is on early evening for a ''family audience'', the other on at 10.30pm aimed at blokes sat watching with a few beers and teen kids too young to get in a pub.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
DavidM said:
The BBC just cannot afford top level sport.
Top level sport costs more and more money and a terrestrial TV station without advertising is going to seriously struggle to fund the money it takes to buy the TV rights.

Taken from the BARB website for BBC1 viewing figures, a typical Saturday night:

Strictly 11.78m viewers
Merlin 7.32m viewers
Casualty 5.18m viewers
MOTD 4.22m viewers

Some weeks it does not even figure in the top 30 programmes on BBC1!

Even Countryfile with 7.75m and Antiques Roadshow with 6.57m get more viewers.

You cannot compare MOTD's ratings with ''Strictly'' (fucking hate that term)
One is on early evening for a ''family audience'', the other on at 10.30pm aimed at blokes sat watching with a few beers and teen kids too young to get in a pub.

Do these figures take into account repeats and recordings, as I'm sure the majority of people watch motd at another time

I love/hate MOTD.

Would be very disappointed to see it go.

The pundits and commentators are very biased but knowledgeable. I always listen to what Hansen and Lawro have to say. Their opinion is 100 x more valuable than "football writers"

Don't agree, Marvin.
True some of the ex-pro's can be insightful but their (completely understandable) bias detracts from much of what they say (e.g. check out Phil Thompson's comments on Suarez racism charge).
You don't have to have been a suckling calf to know the difference between cream & sour milk. Journo's have their place. Not saying they're perfect (far from it in one or two cases). It's just that I could do without two ex-red Scousers "analysing" Liverpool games without any attempt at editorial balance.

Nothing will happen till next year when the rights are resold. That said, having highlight on a terrestrial channel is important to the Premier League - and to a satellite broadcaster (as it whets the appetite for more).
It looks like Sky will have competition for the main package:
ESPN has done a good job for it's limited set of games and as part of the Disney Corporation will have the cash to bid for more.
Al Jazerra is rumoured to be bidding for live games.

As to the highlights, well Channel 5 are interested. But Adverts crushed ITVs attempts at packaging highlights so how much will they bid? The BBC will bid but probably won't offer any more cash.

And of course the whole thing is complicated by the fact that the Live rights will have to be repackaged to cover the whole of Europe due to the Portsmouth land-ladies victory in the courts in October.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.