WSC article on Tevez

Frank Gallagher

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/7240/38/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/7240/38/</a>

Manchester City must try to keep hold of Carlos Tévez
7 May ~ The general consensus in the football press seems to be that Carlos Tévez will not be a Manchester City player next season. Various high-profile clubs in appropriately sun-kissed locations have been touted as his next suitors, and his departure is being treated as more of an inevitability with each passing week. What's more, many claim, City will be better off without him – he's impossible to manage, is constantly homesick and values the ever more obscene bank balances of both himself and his dubiously-motivated agent above anything even resembling loyalty to his club. In short, he personifies the classically spoilt, egocentric modern footballer that has so alienated the majority of today's fans.

These are certainly understandable criticisms – after all, if most supporters had their way, their sides would be comprised entirely of die-for-the-badge, play-with-a-broken-neck local lads in the Tony Adams and Jamie Carragher mould. As we know, though, this isn't possible. Playing top-level football is a profession, not a passion, and those gifted enough to do so are rewarded with a proportionally sized slice of an outrageously big pie. Resenting a footballer for being rich is like taking issue with a tramp for being poor. What's more, it is Tévez's importance to City, rather than vice versa, which should be the deciding factor when the club's fans make a judgement on the striker's more irksome tendencies.

Tévez has 22 goals this season for a side that is not among the most creative and he is one of a very small number of players in the league to have been consistently excellent over the entire campaign. Despite City's phenomenal wealth, replacing him would be a borderline impossible task, as he not only provides both goals and assists, but also plays the "false nine" role of the deep-dropping central striker – so integral to City's set up – superbly well. It's also worth bearing in mind that Mancini's past record of bringing in strikers is questionable at best, with Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko seemingly trying to out-mediocre each other during Tévez's recent absence. On top of this, regardless of however much supposed “personal baggage” he does indeed bring with him, when he's on the pitch, he never appears to be anything other than ludicrously committed to playing well. This is what should genuinely matter to the fans, more than him throwing a strop if he's substituted or jetting back to Argentina when he gets injured.

Tévez's symbolic importance to the City faithful should not be understated. No matter what his motivations were, as a proven top-class player, he left Manchester United to join Manchester City. Because of this decision, he now acts as a kind of physical embodiment of City's ultimate ambition to overhaul their neighbours .Were he to leave, City would not only be shorn of a phenomenal footballer, but also of the only asset they have whose value transcends money. Tévez, I would argue, is very much worth the trouble. Alex Hess

Tévez's symbolic importance to the City faithful should not be understated. No matter what his motivations were, as a proven top-class player, he left Manchester United to join Manchester City. Because of this decision, he now acts as a kind of physical embodiment of City's ultimate ambition to overhaul their neighbours .Were he to leave, City would not only be shorn of a phenomenal footballer, but also of the only asset they have whose value transcends money. Tévez, I would argue, is very much worth the trouble. Alex Hess

To me that's the lamest possible argument.

We should keep him to prove that we got one over United?

How about a 100 foot statue of Yaya?

Chick Counterfly said:

It reads like it was written by kia.

agree with the whole article

he will be very difficult to replace

he is one of the top strikers in the world and consistantly plays well

the other strikers we have are not reliable enough (to say the least) at the moment.

I just hpe we can keep hold of him as I dont really care what he does off the pitch....as when he is on it there arent many better

It reads typically like it's written by somebody who's never actually watched us play. Tevez is not integral to the way we play, he's infact the complete opposite. He doesn't suit our style in the slightest, the one upfront needs to be in the box a lot more than Tevez is. Dropping deep leaves us with nobody upfront. Not that i want him to go as he's just so good that it doesn't matter half the time because he's capable of just picking the ball up and doing it all on his own.

simon23 said:

the other strikers we have are not reliable enough (to say the least) at the moment.

I just hpe we can keep hold of him as I dont really care what he does off the pitch....as when he is on it there arent many better
...as long as you completely ignore his form for the past 3 or 4 months.

I agree with the article.

I hope he stays and I hope he stays because he loves City! And I hope if he does he says so.

Otherwise if he goes, he goes!

sweep said:
simon23 said:

as good as and better than any other striker at the club.

stop letting the transfer request get in the way. He did it for reasons unknown but he still performs and is a vital member of the squad/team.

every player has a dip in form occasionally but at least when tev isnt scoring he is still busting a gut for the team and making things happen.

22 goals this season says how important he is to us.....have the rest of the attacking players in the squad got that many between them (AJ silva balo and dzeko)....they probably havent got many more

balo = 10?
dzeko = 5/6?
aj = ????
silva = 3/4?

how many assists does tevez have...last time i saw that stat is was about 7 or 8...who has more than that in the team....silva, yaya???

these are all genuine questions by the way

Chick Counterfly said:

very shit article, for god sake he has played 1 up front all season i am sure darren bent could score as many if playing on his own putting chances away, and to prove you got 1 over united is even more of a joke! who gives a shit what they do, i am just pointing out with have relied on carlos so much as the papers make out is because he is up there on his own game in game out, put another striker where tevez is and lets see if they can score 22 goals, I AM SURE THEY CAN

simon23 said:
sweep said:

as good as and better than any other striker at the club.

stop letting the transfer request get in the way. He did it for reasons unknown but he still performs and is a vital member of the squad/team.

every player has a dip in form occasionally but at least when tev isnt scoring he is still busting a gut for the team and making things happen.

22 goals this season says how important he is to us.....have the rest of the attacking players in the squad got that many between them (AJ silva balo and dzeko)....they probably havent got many more

balo = 10?
dzeko = 5/6?
aj = ????
silva = 3/4?

how many assists does tevez have...last time i saw that stat is was about 7 or 8...who has more than that in the team....silva, yaya???

these are all genuine questions by the way

In all competitions:
Tevez has 22 goals and 8 assists out of 38 apps
Dzeko has 3 goals and 3 assists out of 15 apps
Balo has 10 goals out of 24 apps
AJ has 7 goals and 5 assists out of 37 apps
Yaya has 7 goals and 6 assists out of 43 apps
Silva has 6 goals and 11 assists out of 45 apps

just for reference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.