WSL - Leicester (H) 4th Feb 2024 13:00

A deserved, if rather lacklustre performance. We changed once Jess Park came on, who drove us forward with more energy, something we'd lacked until that point. Great finish from Lauren Hemp.

You rarely see goals straight from a corner, but that's 2 in 2 days, as I saw one yesterday from salford against Wrexham.

Watched the first half and last 15mins new we will find a way to score! Top of the league seems we will after beat Chelsea if going to win it..

Jess Park excellent. Great improvisation from Hemp to open the scoring. Otherwise very indifferent performance, particularly up front. Great result though, but will need to be better in the next 3 games for sure.

Pretty insipid first half, a lot of possession and passes but just three or four shots on goal which in truth were more like training ground back passes.
Park was a breath of fresh air when she came on, very forward thinking and speedy. Casperij also played well.
We were never really threatened defensively but we do make hard work of everything at times.

Thought we dominated but we lacked that bit of creativity, especially first half. To be fair I thought Leicester defended really well for 80 mins but they offered very little going forwards and I don't remember Keating having a save to make? Park made the difference when she came on, although I would have taken off Coombs as Angeldahl had made a better start to the second half.

Two cracking goals, we have to do all we can to keep Hemp, and that corner was planned as Greenwood stopped Kelly from taking the kick, pulled all of our players in tight and then pointed to the top corner!!

We perhaps wouldn't have come through that in times gone by when we have struggled to break teams down so it's a positive for me! 3 points and top for a few hours at least!

Only one team had any intention of incorporating into their game plan a few ideas that would possibly win the game. Those clad in the mustard garb reserved 99.99 recurring percent to ensure they didn't lose. And the 0.01% relied on us making a mistake by farting around at the back or some curious largesse from the Ref. They also adopted a little bit of rough-house to test whether the ref had some inclination to produce a card. She did - on 8 mins but not before Lauren and Yui had been slammed to the ground. The ref today was a marked upgrade on the usual whistlers, although in the second half Bunny was blatantly and violently barged in the back - no foul, sez ref and then pats one of her shouldners to indicate the defender had used her shoulder. She did, ref, but right into the middle of Bunny's back!

Was Bunny offside for that goal? Those of us camped on the edge of that penalty area didn't think so!

Lauren's goal was a sort of thumb on nose and wiggling fingers to the Leicester team and Chloe's was a simple answer to the question "How do you win a football match against a team who only come to defend.

Leicester got exactly what they deserved. Sweet Fanny Adams.

Thought we dominated but we lacked that bit of creativity, especially first half. To be fair I thought Leicester defended really well for 80 mins but they offered very little going forwards and I don't remember Keating having a save to make? Park made the difference when she came on, although I would have taken off Coombs as Angeldahl had made a better start to the second half.

Two cracking goals, we have to do all we can to keep Hemp, and that corner was planned as Greenwood stopped Kelly from taking the kick, pulled all of our players in tight and then pointed to the top corner!!

We perhaps wouldn't have come through that in times gone by when we have struggled to break teams down so it's a positive for me! 3 points and top for a few hours at least!
I thought the dynamic changed when Jess came on. She is quick, direct and can pick a pass through a crowd of desperate defenders. We seem not to put enough pressure on teams like this. We need to take a few more risks from midfield and make defenders defend. Put the onus on them and they'll eventually make a mistake.

A deserved, if rather lacklustre performance. We changed once Jess Park came on, who drove us forward with more energy, something we'd lacked until that point. Great finish from Lauren Hemp.

You rarely see goals straight from a corner, but that's 2 in 2 days, as I saw one yesterday from salford against Wrexham.
43 years of watching live football and thats the first time I've seen someone score direct from a corner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.