WSL Liverpool (A) 13/10/24 KO 15:00

It's all about how slowly we build it up. Alex on the ball with no-one on and standing for 15 seconds sums up the pace we are playing at - totally different to the Barca approach. By playing so slowly they just get back into two banks of four and we can't get through. Kirsten is a better left back than right...

I've never seen Bunny so easily knocked off the ball and yet she gets one chance and it's one goal ha!

Now play faster and they will not live with us. I'd bring Aoba on to press them as they seem to able to deal with high balls but not with pace.

Just how mard are the Liverpool players - going down and moaning on every challenge - typical of all Scouse teams.

That standard of womens football has improves so much in recent years but the goalkeeping is still lagging behind
I think the keeping for the goal was actually fine.

But to the point about the standard of goalkeeping in the WSL more broadly, that is less about the players, and more about the size of the goals relative to the average size of a women’s goalkeeper.

Many papers—many by women sports researchers—have been written arguing that the goals need to be made smaller for the women’s game simply because the proportion of open space versus the men’s game makes it much, much harder to be a keeper. They have to cover more distance and they can’t reach the same vertical areas, not because of a lack of athleticism, but because of difference in size.

But, that would be extremely difficult to do, given few places would be willing to have different sized goals for men and women (cost being the biggest issue), and it would create a big difference between the top of the women’s game and pretty much every level just below it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.