XMAS food/drink deals

ashytheblue

With more and more people on a tighter budget this year I thought it would be an idea to post any deals that are around or the bestplaces for xmas day food.

I usually buy my 5kg turkey butterfly from the butchers but this year the price is £11.50 per kg, has anyone had supermarket turkeys they can recommend for hopefully half the price?

With more and more people on a tighter budget this year I thought it would be an idea to post any deals that are around or the bestplaces for xmas day food.

I usually buy my 5kg turkey butterfly from the butchers but this year the price is £11.50 per kg, has anyone had supermarket turkeys they can recommend for hopefully half the price?
You can get turkeys of around 5kg from Morrisons for £4.99 per kilo. Aldi have some for under £3 per kilo. Never had one though so can't say whether they are any good. I would imagine most supermarkets would be similar prices.

Think out of the box.

A couple of years ago we did a Greek Meze for Xmas day, we were at the time going to be just the two of us as the family were all doing different things....ended up they all cancelled & came to us along with some of our friends....fucking 16 for dinner, including a lady ex-pat visiting our friends from Cyprus.

I did feel a bit sorry for her eating regular food after flying back for Xmas.

The point is though Turkey is expensive, try something left field. The 16 person Meze all home prepared & cooked cost no more than a traditional Xmas day meal for 5/6 people.

I usually always get a turkey just because it's tradition. But it's often barely touched and ends up in sandwiches, soups and anything else you can use it for - usually a curry. The majority still goes in the bin. I'm not bothering this year. I will get some beef instead, which is still expensive but brings down the cost considerably. I'll spend the change on scotch. I'm normally too drunk to enjoy the meal in any case!

Buy a cheapo Aldi frozen turkey and do Nigella titwanks brined turkey recipe.
Its really good for cheap gobblers imo.
The only downside I found is you can't crisp the skin.

Just buy a big chicken and a gammon. Tenner. Sorted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.