yaya to africa

sjk2008 said:
Because he's quite a limited footballer. Certainly on the technical side. People automatically assume that because someone is a brilliant tackler and gives it 100% every game, that there's no reason why they can't slot into CM with no trouble whatsoever. Zaba is a brilliant full back and, IMO, one of the best there is, as of today. He should stay there. You need someone in CM who can pass the ball and link defense with attack. Yes, I know he'd have someone like Barry or Garcia in there with him who are better passers, but neither of them are good enough to compensate for a CM partner who couldn't do such a role as themselves which, IMO, is what Zaba would fall into.

Sense from the Oldham fan. Good post.

sjk2008 said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
Josh Blue said:
I'd play Zab in midfield for the Arsenal game

I've had the same thoughts.......why not play Zab in the role NDJ played, he's probably our best tackler and is versatile enough? Then gives Milner the license to get forward

All this I suppose will depend on the fitness of our fullbacks. When is Richards expected back, anyone know?

Because he's quite a limited footballer. Certainly on the technical side. People automatically assume that because someone is a brilliant tackler and gives it 100% every game, that there's no reason why they can't slot into CM with no trouble whatsoever. Zaba is a brilliant full back and, IMO, one of the best there is, as of today. He should stay there. You need someone in CM who can pass the ball and link defense with attack. Yes, I know he'd have someone like Barry or Garcia in there with him who are better passers, but neither of them are good enough to compensate for a CM partner who couldn't do such a role as themselves which, IMO, is what Zaba would fall into.

I dont think NDJ was a great footballer technically, nor was he ever a true central midfielder, he was more about protecting the back four, breaking down the play and passing the ball on to the more attacking of the midfield players. He had a nosebleed if he got past the half way line (other than v QPR!). I see no reason why Zab couldnt do this to good effect.

Zab has improved hugely as a full back but he's still some way to go until he's the finished article - his crossing for example. When we've got no width in front of him be it on the left or right, we're reliant on full backs whipping in decent crosses - doesn't happen at the minute, as has been highlighted in other threads

we're the champions of england. missing one player shouldnt be able to kill us no matter how good that player is.

Blumers Bloomers said:
sjk2008 said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
I've had the same thoughts.......why not play Zab in the role NDJ played, he's probably our best tackler and is versatile enough? Then gives Milner the license to get forward

All this I suppose will depend on the fitness of our fullbacks. When is Richards expected back, anyone know?

I dont think NDJ was a great footballer technically, nor was he ever a true central midfielder, he was more about protecting the back four, breaking down the play and passing the ball on to the more attacking of the midfield players. He had a nosebleed if he got past the half way line (other than v QPR!). I see no reason why Zab couldnt do this to good effect.

Zab has improved hugely as a full back but he's still some way to go until he's the finished article - his crossing for example. When we've got no width in front of him be it on the left or right, we're reliant on full backs whipping in decent crosses - doesn't happen at the minute, as has been highlighted in other threads

Whilst I agree that NDJ is no Zidane, he is still technically superior than Zaba. Infact, if we recall last season, there was plenty of occasions where NDJ was getting grief from a number of fans for being a bit 'negative' and for doing some of the things you mentioned above like passing it onto the likes of Barry etc to do the forward thinking work. Bringing Zaba into that role would open him up to potentially the same level of grief because he's not even as good as NDJ in that area. This, plus the fact you'd be removing your current player of the season out of his favoured position, says to me it wouldn't be the best of moves to take.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Caveman said:
James Milner.
The best replacement we have for Yaya in my opinion also.
I think, given a good run of games in defensive/central midfield, James would become a real rival for Yaya's place when he comes back from ACON. This would be good for the team as Yaya would have to up his game to keep his place. Then at his best Yaya is the most effective player in the Prem.

if fit!

Hart

Zabs, Richards/Rekik, Nasty, Clichy

Kompany, Barry

Milner, Tevez, Silva

Aguero

based on no new signings by the time we play Arsenal

trevorcitytilidie said:
if fit!

Hart

Zabs, Richards/Rekik, Nasty, Clichy

Kompany, Barry

Milner, Tevez, Silva

Aguero

based on no new signings by the time we play Arsenal

wouldn't actually be a bad shout. miles better than playing garcia there

take out richards/rekik and stick kolo in or lescott, and that wouldn't be a bad shout

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.