Yaya Toure

I find the hostility to Ya Ya of some posters on this thread, and of some to Joe on the Joe Hart thread, offensive. Ya Ya is not lazy and never has been: Joe has not made a conscious decision to sabotage the team by refusing to be excellent with the ball at his feet. Ya Ya is a verybig man and his size makes it difficult to turn quickly and show the "intensity" Pep demands when we lose possession. Pep hasn't chosen either because they find it difficult to meet his demands. But where this rubbish about splits in the dressing room, plots hatched by Ya Ya and Nasri come from I don't know. If such were the case Pep would tell us straight; he stated very clearly very early on at Barcelona that Ronaldinho, Deko and Eto'o had no future at the club, though Eto'o played in the team of 2008-9 before being ushered out. Pep has said nothing of the kind about Ya Ya or Joe but has explained his decisions in football terms. It is his decision and his alone whether they play or not and we all accept that. But we should not forget what Joe and Ya Ya have done for this club in the last six years. It doesn't mean they have a right to a place in the team - anymore than the academy is a job creation scheme with a guarantee of a place - but if go they must, they should go with dignity and with our thanks.
I have been reading on the Hart and Yaya threads for a while event though I haven't contributed much of my opinion until the last week or so really. How is constructive criticism towards Joe offensive, and the hostility towards Yaya? What for many posters saying it as they see it towards Yaya for being lazy? In the last 12 months or so it is evident that Yaya's legs of gone. He's got too old to do what he used to do in bursting runs through midfield, strong enough to barge any challenging player off the ball in doing so like he used to. Like Scholes was nearing the end of his career, Yaya has often been far too static, unable to run to put a tackle in,or track back, whilst Fernandinho was basically running and covering ground for himself and Yaya, whilst Yaya had been languishing somewhere near the centre circle. unable to keep up with the flow and pace of the game.

OB1 is the poster who likes to analyse players statistics, so I'm interested in knowing the average km ran by Yaya in games last season.

As Loyd Grossman used to say on 'Through the key hole' OB1, It's over to you ; )

Thanks for posting that blue. Sky statistics giving an average of 10.4kn to both Yaya and Fernandinho! ? I find that hard to accept never mind believe. 'Dinho never stops whilst Yaya(mostly) casually strolls around in a languid lethargic style for much of most games last season. On occasion though Yaya decides to go on a rare lung busting run putting in a cameo 10 minute shift, often too little too late being the case. Great player for us in his day but pep has decided that his days for us have gone, and we must accept that, instead of harking on, trying to justify a once great player who is sadly now a shadow of his former self.

I have been reading on the Hart and Yaya threads for a while event though I haven't contributed much of my opinion until the last week or so really. How is constructive criticism towards Joe offensive, and the hostility towards Yaya? What for many posters saying it as they see it towards Yaya for being lazy? In the last 12 months or so it is evident that Yaya's legs of gone. He's got too old to do what he used to do in bursting runs through midfield, strong enough to barge any challenging player off the ball in doing so like he used to. Like Scholes was nearing the end of his career, Yaya has often been far too static, unable to run to put a tackle in,or track back, whilst Fernandinho was basically running and covering ground for himself and Yaya, whilst Yaya had been languishing somewhere near the centre circle. unable to keep up with the flow and pace of the game.

OB1 is the poster who likes to analyse players statistics, so I'm interested in knowing the average km ran by Yaya in games last season.

As Loyd Grossman used to say on 'Through the key hole' OB1, It's over to you ; )

Not found a site yet that shows distance stats for the league but UEFA publish them for UCL. Any way, to the best of my knowledge City as a whole ran less than most teams last season. Yaya's distance stats compared to team mates are not bad, IIRC he usually covers more ground than Dinho but Yaya's number of sprints is on the low side both generally and compared to Dinho.

I don't know if Yaya's legs have gone that much or if he has been allowed to let his condition dip. You expect that a guy of his size would suffer physical degredation faster than more lithe individuals but perhaps better diet and a different exercise regime can see Yaya be fitter this season than last?

Although Pep wants more intensity from him when City are out of possession, it does not mean he has to run about like a man possessed.

I don't know what will happen with Yaya but if he is going to end up seeing out his contract, I really would like to see City be able to get some return on the £200k a week they are paying him.

Edit: wrote this before reading the two posts above.

If Seluk made up the issue over the Birthday Cake, Yaya must be so pissed off with him and fed up of the stick and in jokes he gets over it, I shouldn't laugh but the idea of that tickles me.

Yaya: "Dimitri you absolute tosser why did it have to be about birthday cakes for fuck sake?"

Yaya signs his contract for his next club and they bring out a cake afterwards to commemorate it, Yaya glances over at Seluk and shakes his head.

Last edited:
I find the hostility to Ya Ya of some posters on this thread, and of some to Joe on the Joe Hart thread, offensive. Ya Ya is not lazy and never has been: Joe has not made a conscious decision to sabotage the team by refusing to be excellent with the ball at his feet. Ya Ya is a verybig man and his size makes it difficult to turn quickly and show the "intensity" Pep demands when we lose possession. Pep hasn't chosen either because they find it difficult to meet his demands. But where this rubbish about splits in the dressing room, plots hatched by Ya Ya and Nasri come from I don't know. If such were the case Pep would tell us straight; he stated very clearly very early on at Barcelona that Ronaldinho, Deko and Eto'o had no future at the club, though Eto'o played in the team of 2008-9 before being ushered out. Pep has said nothing of the kind about Ya Ya or Joe but has explained his decisions in football terms. It is his decision and his alone whether they play or not and we all accept that. But we should not forget what Joe and Ya Ya have done for this club in the last six years. It doesn't mean they have a right to a place in the team - anymore than the academy is a job creation scheme with a guarantee of a place - but if go they must, they should go with dignity and with our thanks.

+1
well said!
and hopefully someone can find the interview where Pep said that he never wanted Yaya to leave... it was that Yaya wanted to play a different role from what Pep wiched from him... almost similar to what Hart is experiencing now... for Yaya it was Busquet...

Fair dos to you, mate, although I actually think the three sets of circumstances (Yaya, Nasri, Hart) are different. If a player disrespects the club, or has never put much in, they will attract a certain amount of hostility. If they are no longer the right fit, or simply past their best, that is a different matter. Well it is to me.

But I get your overall sentiment. Much of the criticism has been way over the top.

Thanks for posting that blue. Sky statistics giving an average of 10.4kn to both Yaya and Fernandinho! ? I find that hard to accept never mind believe. 'Dinho never stops whilst Yaya(mostly) casually strolls around in a languid lethargic style for much of most games last season. On occasion though Yaya decides to go on a rare lung busting run putting in a cameo 10 minute shift, often too little too late being the case. Great player for us in his day but pep has decided that his days for us have gone, and we must accept that, instead of harking on, trying to justify a once great player who is sadly now a shadow of his former self.
Yaya has been one of our greatest players but these statistics are misleading. You can move the same km both taking part in the game or jogging after it.

Yaya has been one of our greatest players but these statistics are misleading. You can move the same km both taking part in the game or jogging after it.

These debates don't half get repetitive and your comment is just as misleading IMO.

We all know Yaya's contribution visibly dropped last season but, along with Silva, he was the guy who made most passes per game; previously he was out front and making way more passes.

He's always tended to job about but a lot of his movement is actually very intelligent. He is masterful at both making himself available for the pass and at picking up second balls.

Yaya has been on the decline since we last won the title and it was a fairly steep drop last season. The question, if he stays beyond 31 August, is whether that decline can be reversed by him and Pep and the coaches? It would be a temporary reverse but we only need that because he will certainly have gone by next July, at the latest.

I imagine Yaya's number of sprints was what Pep was talking about re 'intensity'. He moves around the pitch pretty much the same as most of the others in that area.

We all discussed it on here last season, most weeks.

He probably hasn't been pushed to do anything at all since Mancini left & I don't get the impression he pushed him that hard either. Just expected him to do it. He would have signed him to plod around overweight in Italy. Yaya has been both getting older & allowed to do his own thing, for years, even though The Clown desperately needed him to do something drastically different, as one of a midfield two.

Now that the Chilean Frank Clark has mercifully fucked off, he is being asked to up that side of his game, which is new to him & requires greater fitness & a different mindset.

He doesn't need to be Colin Bell though, just Silva (who was well down on 'lazy' Nasri's stats in that list).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.