Yaya V Scholes

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
Scholes was a fantastic midfielder, as is Yaya Toure, but I always thought his game was focused entirely on winning the ball back and being the little scamp who attacked your ankles. From there, he had the ability to bomb forward either with or without the ball and try and get on the end of something. Most of the goals that Scholes scored were from knock downs or rebounds just inside the area.

Winning the ball back? He was one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen. You are correct in saying that he used to score a lot of goals by arriving late into the box, and he was an excellent finisher with great anticipation (as is Yaya). Scholes' game changed a huge amount as he got older though, as he played deeper and with less dynamism, but his range of passing and ability to control games was truly exceptional.

He was a dirty little git though and a really bad loser, which just made it funnier when he got sent off in the FA Cup Semi-Final.

Certainly two of the top five or six central midfielders in the Premier League era.

Completely different players to be fair, and probably work better depending on what players they have around them.

If I had to pick one in their prime though, Scholes, sorry.

Scholes was a great player. Everyone who played at United in his time there all said Scholes was the best United a player. And Xavi Hernandez thought he was the best midfielder in the world. Technically the best English player i've seen.

But a very different player to Yaya outside the short and long passing side of the game. Yaya's closest player is Vieira. While Yaya scores more goals, Vieira was a really tough tackler and battler, had a better 90minute box-to-box engine and wouldn't languish up field after a big run forward, which puts him ahead as the best central midfielder ever in the Prem, for me. But very little in it as Yaya's goal scoring this season has been amazing!

Keane and Gerrard are the others in the top 5.

Special mention to Lampard whose goal scoring record is nothing short of phenomenal from midfield.

Technically Yaya is the better player. Better footballing brain, more physically imposing. All round better. From a "greatest" context in the PL it's still Scholes for longevity, honours etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.