Yoga/Pilates.

Yeah I do yoga mate, all be it using the Nintendo wii fit rather than through attending a class.

From my personal experience it has been hugely beneficial. I've been a long term sufferer with M.E. and I wanted to do something that could get me back active somewhat, and build up my physical strength again, so decided I'd give yoga a go. I've done it for around 18 months now and have really felt the benefits, seeing a marked improvement in my energy levels. It's significantly more physically demanding than I anticipated, but I always feel mentally more positive after doing it.

I've never tried Pilates, though I would like too as my cousin who is a physio feels it can be even more beneficial than Yoga.

Shands said:
Yeah I do yoga mate, all be it using the Nintendo wii fit rather than through attending a class.

From my personal experience it has been hugely beneficial. I've been a long term sufferer with M.E. and I wanted to do something that could get me back active somewhat, and build up my physical strength again, so decided I'd give yoga a go. I've done it for around 18 months now and have really felt the benefits, seeing a marked improvement in my energy levels. It's significantly more physically demanding than I anticipated, but I always feel mentally more positive after doing it.

I've never tried Pilates, though I would like too as my cousin who is a physio feels it can be even more beneficial than Yoga.

That's very interesting as i have also had M.E and fibromalgia for 20 years now.I have thought about trying it but pain is my biggest problem so i find it difficult to do anything much
Glad it helps you

Shands said:

Cheers shands, i am deffo gonna have a bash as i feel like im 60yrs old(am 42 btw),my joints ache, my back is niggling from an old disc injury and my Achiles Tendons are so sore...Oh and am just getting over an injured shoulder/nek/arm, i didn't strain or pull it and it seemed to just come on me, i was fit as a fiddle this time last year but now as i said i feel way older and it is worrying me tbh.

Did a week of Bikram yoga in the summer, then have been practising it regularly since I moved back here at the beginning of October. No more back problems! Can't recommend it high enough. I'm currently on day 87 of a 100-day challenge, I'm that mad for it. If you can manage at least two sessions a week, preferably 3-4, then you will really feel the benefits.

karen7 said:
Shands said:

That's very interesting as i have also had M.E and fibromalgia for 20 years now.I have thought about trying it but pain is my biggest problem so i find it difficult to do anything much
Glad it helps you

Yeah I understand where you're coming from completely there Karen. I just happened, whether through luck or judgement, to be at a point where I felt capable enough to try and push myself to be more active.

My M.E. was triggered by a severe winter flu type virus which caused me to lose weight and muscle which I then did not put back on. I figured that as I was under my ideal weight and lacking muscle strength, tasks were bound to be taking more out of me than they necessarily should be thus exacerbating the condition, so the best way for me to combat that was to try and build myself back up.

I chose to do yoga at home through the wii as a) I have no income so can't afford £8 a week for a class and, more importantly, b) I could pick and choose which exercises I did, when and how long I did them, and also integrate breaks if required depending on how I was feeling. It's definitely really helped me, and I would recommend you or anyone else in the same situation trying it if and when you feel the time is right.<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm --<br /><br />
buzzer1 said:
Shands said:

Cheers shands, i am deffo gonna have a bash as i feel like im 60yrs old(am 42 btw),my joints ache, my back is niggling from an old disc injury and my Achiles Tendons are so sore...Oh and am just getting over an injured shoulder/nek/arm, i didn't strain or pull it and it seemed to just come on me, i was fit as a fiddle this time last year but now as i said i feel way older and it is worrying me tbh.

I find now If I get an ache in my back or something like that, it will generally be because perhaps I've lapsed and not done my yoga for a week or so, but as soon as I get back in to the routine of doing it for 20-30 minutes 4 or so times a week, those niggles disappear. Well worth trying bud, I think you'll take a lot from it.

Started doing pilates twice a week a couple of months ago. I'm 58 and reasonably fit for my age but started getting backache after longish drives and occasionally felt like I had the suppleness of a much older man when I got out of bed in the morning.

Its working well for me so far. Feel much looser, can drive for longer periods.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.