York away (footage)

To paraphrase Paul Morley, it's easy to start supporting a winning team , you're just doing it for reflected glory.

Morley also wrote, amusingly, that when it came to deciding who to support, he didn't want to be associated with a club whose ground was called Old.

We were Maine. They were Old. Enough said.

(Mind you, we were once Hyde, which has an unfortunate association with a certain novel by Robert Louis Stevenson…]

Sad day that…. I met my hero Malcolm Allison in the station bar (@ York). He was pissed and cut a very sad character, it wasn’t good to see Mal in that kind of condition.

Reactions: Vic
whilst I wasn’t at York, some of the games I can say ”I was there”

81 Cup Final Replay
87 Huddersfield 10-1( also the reverse fixture 0-1)
89 away at Derby 0-6
89 5-1 Trafford Town
99 Gillingham Play Off
12 Aguerooooooooooo

Make it 39,999.
I've been found out and am now forced to admit I wasn't there.
The really embarrassed ones are those who had a ticket who didn't go, but there were a lot who had a spare thinking they'd get rid outside as usual but couldn't shift them at any price.

City fans have always been loyal, stubborn, funny......most of all piss heads and despisers of Utd.....

"We never win at home and we never win away."......typical of City humour. Self deprecating but also true that mostly we were ....pissed up and didn't give a fuck.. ...fighting for the cause at any given opportunity.

The lower we went the more I wanted to go...............weird.

Just to be awkward maybe? Or maybe I thought we'd win more games than we lost in lower leagues.....had to be a better time.........then came Gillingham........from despair to elation....the joys of being a blue wrapped up in one game.
In that spirit i fondly remember Blackpool at home on the first day of the season in the Third Division, 31,000 in Maine Rd. with a wonderful atmosphere.
And it was around that time someone wrote a poem (in the old MCIVTA?) about City having soul and U****d having none, can't find it now but I remember thinking at the time that its closing line about "when City are great again" was one that was never really coming true. Happy days then but happier ones now, on to St. Petersburg!

In that spirit i fondly remember Blackpool at home on the first day of the season in the Third Division, 31,000 in Maine Rd. with a wonderful atmosphere.
And it was around that time someone wrote a poem (in the old MCIVTA?) about City having soul and U****d having none, can't find it now but I remember thinking at the time that its closing line about "when City are great again" was one that was never really coming true. Happy days then but happier ones now, on to St. Petersburg!

Still going MCIVTA

'City of lost souls'
"To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic. Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have a soul, United do not. When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To these days these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born."

there was this as well on another issue: A blue to a red:

"Vertigo...ever wondered why, even with all the trophies, glory, showbiz weddings, superstar "glamour" players and planet-sized, graceless ego's that surround the "entity" that is Manchester United, you still can't kill off local support for a skint club that has won nothing for 33 years, shoots itself in the foot at every opportunity, sells it's best players and yet is somehow still one of the best-supported teams in England? I'd say that says more about your club than ours. Supporting City is typically Mancunian, backing the underdog in the face of adversity, knowing that one day soon, "our time will come again..."Supporting United is heroism in a can, the refuge of the characterless, the humourless, the bland, the footballing epitome of "blending in"...though I guess you'll just never
understand that's what separates us from you, and long may it remain so...Thanks for reminding me why I'm a Blue!"

Last edited:
whilst I wasn’t at York, some of the games I can say ”I was there”

81 Cup Final Replay
87 Huddersfield 10-1( also the reverse fixture 0-1)
89 away at Derby 0-6
89 5-1 Trafford Town
99 Gillingham Play Off
12 Aguerooooooooooo
My mum wouldn’t let me wag school for the 81 replay and I think my dad wanted a day on the lash with his mates !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.