York away (footage)

I was at York. I’ll take that to the grave with me with a big smug smile on my face. :%)

Don't want to sound solemn — and I know that this is supposed to be a thread for banter — but the thing is this.
Only on the main forum of MCFC, a club that has been multiple champions in the last decade, that amassed 100 points in one of those championship years, that did an unprecedented domestic treble (etc., etc.) would the fans want to reminisce, jokingly or not, there or not, about this experience.
I can't imagine another club in Europe, let alone in the country, that wouldn't want to sweep it under the carpet. And yes, there or not, we're proud of it too. It too, is part of the tapestry, painful as it was at the time.
Fans of other clubs who accuse us of being plastics, in totally bad faith of course, just don't get it!
Very true. And it’s not like that’s where we were for all of our history before being taken over; outside the 80s and 90s we’ve been one of the bigger clubs in this country for pretty much all of the rest of our history, so we could very easily sweep York away under the carpet if we wanted to… but we celebrate it!

And, in fact, we do ignore or aren’t even aware of some club achievements and records, and many of our great players from our history.

There’s no way on Earth Liverpool fans would do this. They absolutely do ignore the fact that before Shankly went there, they were just a nothing Second Division club that nobody gave a shit about. They don’t ever talk about that period in their history, they wouldn’t want anyone knowing about it if it was at all possible.

United are slightly different. I think, because we never let them live it down, they have always had to face up to getting relegated in the 70s. And to be fair to them, they even commissioned that BT Sport documentary about their 1974-75 season that was on in the last few years. But in general, their fans would also prefer to sweep that under the carpet. And have you ever heard a Rag ever mention how they’ve nearly gone bust twice and used to get no crowds, back as Newton Heath and then again as United in the 1930s?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I’ve always thought that it should be the match following York away that City fans should celebrate as being the true test.

Since it was the York away result that saw us fall to our lowest position of to 14th in the third tier, it was those that turned up to the following game AT WREXHAM on the Boxing Day that should be the game that is talked about the most.

United are slightly different. I think, because we never let them live it down, they have always had to face up to getting relegated in the 70s. And to be fair to them, they even commissioned that BT Sport documentary about their 1974-75 season that was on in the last few years. But in general, their fans would also prefer to sweep that under the carpet. And have you ever heard a Rag ever mention how they’ve nearly gone bust twice and used to get no crowds, back as Newton Heath and then again as United in the 1930s?

Beyond all mythology, Gary James has documented it with the seriousness of the historian that he is — United weren't anything very much until after the Second World War, and even then it's not really before the early fifties. They do fairly well in the late forties, without winning anything very much. It's really in the fifties that they emerge as a powerhouse. Not coincidentally, that corresponds to the proper beginnings of televised football. I'm always struck by how it's the little screen and its coverage of football, first domestically and then world wide, that creates a false perspective on football history in people's minds.
It's that well-know Manchester City player, Matt Busby, who turns it all round for them. United have several things to thank City for. We've got almost nothing to thank them for, except I suppose Kiddo, and Carlos.

Very true. And it’s not like that’s where we were for all of our history before being taken over; outside the 80s and 90s we’ve been one of the bigger clubs in this country for pretty much all of the rest of our history, so we could very easily sweep York away under the carpet if we wanted to… but we celebrate it!

And, in fact, we do ignore or aren’t even aware of some club achievements and records, and many of our great players from our history.

There’s no way on Earth Liverpool fans would do this. They absolutely do ignore the fact that before Shankly went there, they were just a nothing Second Division club that nobody gave a shit about. They don’t ever talk about that period in their history, they wouldn’t want anyone knowing about it if it was at all possible.

Then we let
Beyond all mythology, Gary James has documented it with the seriousness of the historian that he is — United weren't anything very much until after the Second World War, and even then it's not really before the early fifties. They do fairly well in the late forties, without winning anything very much. It's really in the fifties that they emerge as a powerhouse. Not coincidentally, that corresponds to the proper beginnings of televised football. I'm always struck by how it's the little screen and its coverage of football, first domestically and then world wide, that creates a false perspective on football history in people's minds.
It's that well-know Manchester City player, Matt Busby, who turns it all round for them. United have several things to thank City for. We've got almost nothing to thank them for, except I suppose Kiddo, and Carlos.
Feed the goat...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.