Yorkshire is more beautiful than Lancashire...

I worked in Halifax for a while and worked with some of the nicest, warmest people you could wish to meet. The town however is an absolute shit hole that takes hours to drive out of when you want to escape. I know this through doing the Halifax - Manchester airport run on a twice weekly basis.
Years ago, we sent a possee of people from London head office to do a presentation to the Halifax branch. When we went to our hotel rooms, there was a white Yorkshire rose and welcome message on everybody’s pillow.

Lovely touch.

Knaresborough is a fine part of North Yorkshire I'll have you know ;-) It is a lovely county though. Only downside is it's always cold!
I haven't been since I was a sprog. I remember it being an interesting town for a child. Mother Shiptons well. Is that right? With articles turned to stone by witchcraft/calcite. My most vivid memory is of shoals of large chub in the river ure?

Must go back some day.

Years ago, we sent a possee of people from London head office to do a presentation to the Halifax branch. When we went to our hotel rooms, there was a white Yorkshire rose and welcome message on everybody’s pillow.

Lovely touch.
where did you stay? can you remember?
Was it Holdsworth House?

I'll say one thing for Yorkshire. They (generally) do far better fish and chips than we do. More likely to be cooked in dripping (exceeding rare on this side of the Pennines, in fact almost extinct) and to default on haddock rather than cod.

(Actually, I am thinking of setting up a Campaign for Real Fish and Chips as the general standard is increasingly dire. Too many people are willing to eat any old shite.)

I haven't been since I was a sprog. I remember it being an interesting town for a child. Mother Shiptons well. Is that right? With articles turned to stone by witchcraft/calcite. My most vivid memory is of shoals of large chub in the river ure?

Must go back some day.

River Nidd and Mother Shipton's cave but it is a nice part of the country. Harrogate next door is a nice town and if I need something bigger, It's a short drive to York or across the border to Leeds. The dales on our doorstep and not too far to the coast and the Nth Yorkshire moors. I've only lived here for 5 years but I can't think of anywhere else in the UK I'd rather live.

I lived my first 23 years in M/Cr and the next (almost) 50 in Yorkshire. I am a proud Mancunian and Lancastrian, but I have to admit Yorkshire is incredibly beautiful. I spend a lot of time in the dales: the scenery, the pubs, the whole atmosphere are top class. I went up Nidderdale last week. It is not in the National Park but is designated an AONB. The autumn trees were spectacular, as they are in spring also. Lunch in the Crown in Pateley Bridge was a sublime seafood risotto.
I have posted here before about the Craven Arms in Appletreewick, just an amazing 17th century place with blazing fires, gas lighting, and a Crook barn built 20 years ago using the ancient medieval methods and materials, the first such building for 400 years.
So, Lancastrians, swallow your pride and enjoy Yorkshire, but beware; if they find out you are of the Red Rose they will charge you double in the shops.

River Nidd and Mother Shipton's cave but it is a nice part of the country. Harrogate next door is a nice town and if I need something bigger, It's a short drive to York or across the border to Leeds. The dales on our doorstep and not too far to the coast and the Nth Yorkshire moors. I've only lived here for 5 years but I can't think of anywhere else in the UK I'd rather live.
Nice. If I had to move from Scotland to England it would be the Yorkshire Dales or Rutland for me.

I'll say one thing for Yorkshire. They (generally) do far better fish and chips than we do. More likely to be cooked in dripping (exceeding rare on this side of the Pennines, in fact almost extinct) and to default on haddock rather than cod.

(Actually, I am thinking of setting up a Campaign for Real Fish and Chips as the general standard is increasingly dire. Too many people are willing to eat any old shite.)
Most of West Yorks now do their fish and chips in oil, partly in deference to the local Muslim population and partly for health reasons,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.