Your growing up years

Haha!
I can picture the scenario.
"What you knitting Mother ? "
"Im knitting you some swimming trunks luv" She replies with a smile.

You immediately realise that shes serious and not buying you any and your going to look an absolute dipshit with these knitted ones on.
A queasy vomit enhanced feeling ensues...your brain races, with thoughts of how much piss will be ripped out of you by the evil bastards in your class. Hahaha

I can remember the colour, a deep maroon, and the fact that when you tried to climb out of the baths they were so heavy and wet they slid down your leg, or if you used the steps they’d hang down below your knees.

Not even a butter slathered half baguette from the sarny shop opposite could make for the shame.

Down Dingle Dell in Stamford Park belting around on my pushbike, Ashton Moss playing football/cricket until it was too dark to see, first kiss on what is now the Ikea site which was a disused railway goods yard.

Being a kid was great.
Used to live on Knowle Avenue and went to the Grammar School in the 60s, so you sound just like I was in all respects. Went to my first match on a Dickie Wood's coach from Wellington Road, round the corner from Gatefield school. I went in Aldi in Ashton recently, and said to an old lady - sorry, a lady older than me - "the last time I came in here, it was Gatefield school". She said "you're going back a bit", and I said "yes, I left in1961!"
No social media, black & white TV with 2 channels only, Bill & Ben, a clip round the ear'ole by the local copper if you got caught loggin for firewood, and City were shit.
I miss being a young naïve lad, instead of the old cynic I am now.

Used to live on Knowle Avenue and went to the Grammar School in the 60s, so you sound just like I was in all respects. Went to my first match on a Dickie Wood's coach from Wellington Road, round the corner from Gatefield school. I went in Aldi in Ashton recently, and said to an old lady - sorry, a lady older than me - and said "the last time I came in here, it was Gatefield school". She said "you're going back a bit", and I said "yes, I left in1961!"
No social media, black & white TV with 2 channels only, Bill & Ben, a clip round the ear'ole by the local copper if you got caught loggin for firewood, and City were shit.
I miss being a young naïve lad, instead of the old cynic I am now.
Gatefield School ended up being a car showroom for a bit.

I was out in Ashton last summer for an afternoon on the pop, didn't recognise the pubs from what they were like in my 18/25 period before I moved to Oldham. Some names the same but all plastic as fuck.

I have very few memories of my childhood now,i know my dad was abusive to my mum and the middle brother and mum had told me he forced her to have me and the midle boy,she wanted only the first born,i can't remember what i remembered before my brain injury but hardly anything now,my brothers tell me it was vile,no love or cuddles,dad died when i was 21 and i don't remember him,my mum died last year not having hugged me or telling me she loved me,we had a fractous relationship
I feel i really missed out although i probably wouldn't remember it anyway

That's a very moving post. Parents/people that treat their kids badly are beneath contempt.

We were very poor and dysfunctional but I loved my childhood. Not sure how I ended up doing ok as an adult so I can only assume my parents did something right!

Big love to @karen7 x

That's a very moving post. Parents/people that treat their kids badly are beneath contempt.

We were very poor and dysfunctional but I loved my childhood. Not sure how I ended up doing ok as an adult so I can only assume my parents did something right!

Big love to @karen7 x
Thanks lovely,it's all a real shame but it doesn't define me,luckily i got the empathy gene for someone along the way

I was frightened of ghosts as a child. (Not that I ever saw one)

As I grew older I realised the real world was far more terrifying than spooks.

I was frightened of ghosts as a child. (Not that I ever saw one)

As I grew older I realised the real world was far more terrifying than spooks.

The Dr Who Saturday evening TV theme music when it was coming on absolutely shit me up back in the early 70"s, I was rigid with fear, fingers in ears, eyes wide shut, humming loudly to try and drown it out ..!

My brother, sister and mother used to point and laugh at me curled in a ball behind the settee, shouting "make it stop..!"

I was 27 at the time..!

F'kin Daleks and Cybermen and I remember one episode when shop dummies came to life and moved slowly, looking both menacing and stiff with blank looks on their faces..!

I'm sure 3 or 4 of them signed for the Rags back in the day..!

Ha..!

I can remember the colour, a deep maroon, and the fact that when you tried to climb out of the baths they were so heavy and wet they slid down your leg, or if you used the steps they’d hang down below your knees.

Not even a butter slathered half baguette from the sarny shop opposite could make for the shame.
Did she sow your swimming badges on them as well?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.