Zidane vs Neil McNab

gordondaviesmoustache said:
m7mcfc said:
If this is a moustache competition, then Zidane wins hands down.
If this is a moustache competition, then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.

Anyone else remember that game v Chelsea 1988-9 season at Maine Road when we got beat 3-2? It was pissing it down and united were playing Forest at Old Trafford the same day (quarter Final of the Cup, which Forest went on to win and they went on to play that fateful Semi-Final at Hillsborough) and there were over 100,000 supporters in (Greater) Manchester that day.

The match was on ITV and they installed this track on the sideline in front of the Main Stand, which could follow the play - it was pretty avant garde at the time. I remember getting back from the match and watching it that evening and some time in the second half, when we were losing, a Chelsea player was running down the right wing towards the Platt Lane and in his wake was Neil McNab who just manages to muster enough energy to get to this player and scythe him down. There was absolutely no intent to get the ball and the look on McNab's face as he closed in on his prey was a thing of beauty. The whole manoeuvre was followed with absolute precision by this camera on wheels.

Because of that Neil McNab 'The Crab', for all his sideways passing, and his subsequent fallout with the club, never fails to raise a smile when I think about him.
Just found a clip of the game:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mmRrt1lHU[/youtube]

No evidence of that tackle but I was right about the scoreline, the weather, the ends the teams played to in the second half, McNab's appearance in the game and the fact it was on ITV.

Not that I'm insecure, or anything.

Worksop Blue said:
Worksop Blue said:
For his ability to administer a near perfect 'Barnsley Kiss' In a World Cup Final I'd have to go with ZZ on this one.

..changed my mind... I've just remembered standing behind the goal at St Andrew's in the late 80's when Neil bent one in from around 25 yards, the force 9 gale having had absolutely no impact on the direction of the ball whatsoever!... It's The Crab for me.

oh yes, one of my favourite city goals of all time
also, unlike ZZ, he was here, there and every f****n where so he gets my vote

gordondaviesmoustache said:
m7mcfc said:
If this is a moustache competition, then Zidane wins hands down.
If this is a moustache competition, then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.

Anyone else remember that game v Chelsea 1988-9 season at Maine Road when we got beat 3-2? It was pissing it down and united were playing Forest at Old Trafford the same day (quarter Final of the Cup, which Forest went on to win and they went on to play that fateful Semi-Final at Hillsborough) and there were over 100,000 supporters in (Greater) Manchester that day.

The match was on ITV and they installed this track on the sideline in front of the Main Stand, which could follow the play - it was pretty avant garde at the time. I remember getting back from the match and watching it that evening and some time in the second half, when we were losing, a Chelsea player was running down the right wing towards the Platt Lane and in his wake was Neil McNab who just manages to muster enough energy to get to this player and scythe him down. There was absolutely no intent to get the ball and the look on McNab's face as he closed in on his prey was a thing of beauty. The whole manoeuvre was followed with absolute precision by this camera on wheels.

Because of that Neil McNab 'The Crab', for all his sideways passing, and his subsequent fallout with the club, never fails to raise a smile when I think about him.

Yeah I remember that mate, quite sure the clip we see most of is of Tony Dorigo running down the touchline (I'm guessing they scored from it given it's one I see mostly), but, as much as I like to think it was some 'all singing and dancing' bit of kit, the image I conjure up is this one [bigimg]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGH_mi3UbajgYGU5QDNoUdErU2nnDkK02AH8I9dNpRKU032u5CqQ[/bigimg]

Btw, I always though McNab was a very under rated player for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.