Zonal marking. Your views?

I think it works for us, however I still think that one of our "smaller" players should be upfield to gather the clearance.
Too often we defend the set piece well only to concede possesion and have the ball come straight back at us

Seems to be working better for us than when Hughes was here!

One thing different I would do though is leave Tevez on the halfway line to give us an outlet and also this would keep at least two maybe three of their defenders back!

Wrighty Wrexham said:
Seems to be working better for us than when Hughes was here!

One thing different I would do though is leave Tevez on the halfway line to give us an outlet and also this would keep at least two maybe three of their defenders back!
TBH I think over pre-season he will work on things like that, but he came in and just wanted a quick fix for now, so I'm fine with things as they are for the rest of this season.

The problem with Zonal marking over man for man is when it goes wrong it looks dreadful and that in turn gives the impression that it's less effective. However, as others have pointed out it seems to work better for us than the old man for man system using pretty much the same players.

If zonal marking had been used by Bayern the other night Rooney wouldnt have scored.

As it was his marker slipped and gave him a free header!!

Having said that it didntwork for us against United did it! :(

Numptyed said:
We use it well and are yet to conceed from a corner since Mancini took over. I like it.

We did against Everton, although it was a short corner, which is probably our current set-ups biggest weakness. Other teams seem to have spotted it and are taking a lot of short corners. However, zonal has worked really well for just the standard ball into the box which used to create absolute havoc, now they seem pretty comfortable to deal with.

Wrighty Wrexham said:
If zonal marking had been used by Bayern the other night Rooney wouldnt have scored.

As it was his marker slipped and gave him a free header!!

Having said that it didntwork for us against United did it! :(

We invited pressure in that last 10 minutes against United and also against Stoke when we frankly had a nightmare with Delap and his throw ins. By the fourth time we played them I would have thought we would have adapted to their tactics. Similarly against the Rags, we allowed them to put crosses into the box with Rooney in the form of his life and it bit us in the arse in the end. Bastards, one day we'll do them in the last minute like they have done to us on a few occasions now.

Generally though it seems to be working, but I will be a lot more comfortable when Lescott returns to partner Kompany.

bluesmith said:
If you mean at home, we didnt concede from a corner, it was a short fee kick.

Well whatever, it was a free-kick from near the corner flag, i think we set up the same way?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.