Is there a case for recalling Fernando

No doubt we could improve our defence if we had younger faster players in there or we could find the old Kompany, but even if we could I still think we'd struggle to handle a Liverpool, or Spurs breaking on us. many teams are comfortable playing without the ball and are set up to play counter-attacking football against us. We can hold sway for 3/4 of a game, play the game on the opponents penalty area, but we always look vulnerable to counter-attacks.

After our vibrant start faded, we struggled to score goals as well and I could see why Guardiola went for the tried and trusted Toure, particularly when Gundogan got injured, but now that Sane, Sterling and Jesus seem able to create opportunities for themselves, fed by Silva and KDB, I think the balance would be better overall by playing a more defence minded player.

I think there's a very good chance fernando will play against Monaco, and I think this is the right time now to make this change in the league games too.

Coincidently our league form dropped off a cliff when Pep went all Pellegrini at Spurs and played the now hopefully defunct 4231. The side picked at Spurs was very last season and looked utter toss. Mainly putting Fernandinho & Fernando holding.

We have looked our strongest offensively and defensively in this now settled system that we also started the season with.
A back 4. YaYa or Fernandinho holding. Silva and De Bruyne central and pace out wide.

Our front 5 are a joy to watch and look a nightmare to play against. The Spurs you mention were played off the park and if not for some blatant cheating, they'd have received a real hiding.

Last edited:
So we sit and wait for next season to wield the cheque book again or look at an Academy player. Big trophies still up for grabs. Key to winning one will be to improve our defending. It's not good enough at the moment, and that's as a team, not a the defence per se
None of what you have said is good enough reason to put Fernando in on a regular basis. His inclusion would have a negative impact on all the things we're doing well at the moment. Not to mention we seem to have started to sort out our defensive issues over the last month or so.

You're ignoring the fact that the attacking players need to be supplied with the ball to enable them to do their thing. Yaya has the capability to play eye of the needle type passes through midfield that break the lines and find our creative players in the pockets, Fernando struggles at this.

Imo the 'eye of the needle' passes are exactly what we don't want to be attempting too much of when we are 2-0 up, & are often part of the problem because they give away the ball more than they open up the oppo. At the other end of the scale, people such as Clichy, Kolarov, Stones, randomly hoofing or heading the ball back into centre midfield or up in the air, rather than clearing it properly, is another huge danger. Simple, ball retention is what we need, then the oppo will provide the gap themselves, by getting tired chasing.

Fernando can do that, if needed.

But imo, the problem isn't whether Fernando plays or doesn't play, it's how the whole team operates together.

If they develop the ability to keep the ball, as a method of closing games out, like v Bournemouth, & Silva/KDB put in the hard work centrally, then there is not so much need for Fernando, other than to cover for injuries. But if it's 1-0 rather than 2-0, & we are playing a top 4 side, can we keep our nerve, & do it ?

Also, whatever formation we play & no matter how well we are playing, there will be situations where we lose the ball.

On many occasions this season, that has resulted in the oppo, with the most basic of moves, completely dumbfounding our back 4, as if Messi had conjured up something magical, when actually they just lumped it, or played it wide, like Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, Leicester etc did. Most of he goals we concede, are stoppable with competent, rather than excellent defending.

Where we need players like Fernando, Delph etc, isn't when everyone is getting it right, it's when they get it wrong & somebody has to win the ball back. We have had many of those situations & arguably needed two or three Fernandos to protect the back 4.

You're ignoring the fact that the attacking players need to be supplied with the ball to enable them to do their thing. Yaya has the capability to play eye of the needle type passes through midfield that break the lines and find our creative players in the pockets, Fernando struggles at this.

This. Pep's whole structure, his entire belief system relies on the ball getting to the man in space as quickly as possible.
He went on record the other day saying he picked Stones & Kolarov playing vs Swansea so they could brake the lines as quickly as possible.

If we have ponderous players like Navas or Fernando the whole system brakes down. I guess their role for the remainder of the their City career with be fill in or help defend a lead.

The inclusion of Fernando means leaving out De Bruyne or Toure. Swapping Toure's composure and willingness on or to have the ball would result in the disaster we saw at Spurs.

I honestly can't believe anyone would advocate a change. I don't even know how anyone would not see how our system works.

Right issue to address, currently with the wrong personnel to deploy.

I shudder to think how good our team would have been this season if we had signed Kante and let him put out the fires, with Fernandinho doing the Yaya job of linking the play.

Not sure how many of those players are out there.

No, not at all. Shouldn't be starting games if Fernandinho and Yaya are available. Cup games the best place for him to pick up minutes.

This. Pep's whole structure, his entire belief system relies on the ball getting to the man in space as quickly as possible.
He went on record the other day saying he picked Stones & Kolarov playing vs Swansea so they could brake the lines as quickly as possible.

If we have ponderous players like Navas or Fernando the whole system brakes down. I guess their role for the remainder of the their City career with be fill in or help defend a lead.

The inclusion of Fernando means leaving out De Bruyne or Toure. Swapping Toure's composure and willingness on or to have the ball would result in the disaster we saw at Spurs.

I honestly can't believe anyone would advocate a change. I don't even know how anyone would not see how our system works.

I don't think Fernando is as bad as people make out, in that regard. he's no Yaya, but if the whole team is passing the ball well, I don't think he has a problem joining in.

It's usually a team thing, when we go to shit imo, rather than one midfielder.

It almost happened to Yaya last night when he was mugged due to Stones' early passing as if he was wearing rubber clown shoes. Later in the game, when Stones calmed down, it all looked easy.

Right issue to address, currently with the wrong personnel to deploy.

I shudder to think how good our team would have been this season if we had signed Kante and let him put out the fires, with Fernandinho doing the Yaya job of linking the play.

Not sure how many of those players are out there.

And who would you have dropped?

Coincidently are league form dropped off a cliff when Pep went all Pellegrini at Spurs and played the now hopefully defunct 4231. The side picked at Spurs was very last season and looked utter toss. Mainly putting Fernandinho & Fernando holding.

We have looked our strongest offensively and defensively in this now settled system that we also started the season with.
A back 4. YaYa or Fernandinho holding. Silva and De Bruyne central and pace out wide.

Our front 5 are a joy to watch and look a nightmare to play against. The Spurs you mention were played off the park and if not for some blatant cheating, they'd have received a real hiding.
We played Spurs and Chelsea off the park, and took a point. We were better than Liverpool, but lost.

We really should not have lost at Leicester or Everton. Kamikaze stuff. This City team is in transition, I know that

I am sur Guardiola does not regard it as the end-product but so many of you seem happy with a team that is 8 points off the top, and for me we have the best forwards in the country - by a long way. Hence we can have Aguero on the bench. And yet we are trailing Chelsea and just a few points above the riff-raff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.