What if we struggle next season?

At my age it's laughable reading this, a season as bad as this??? It's hardly a calamity, I never expected us to romp home with all the silverware this season, next season is the true Pep test...
It's been an unremarkable season in the scheme of things so far but potentially top 3 and an FA Cup win is hardly bad, even in this so called modem era..

The key word for me is unremarkable. Bad? Nah. Certainly not calamitous. This thread's a bit like the one about how much we've won in the last five years and how it's not good enough. I can't help but wonder what exactly it is that people think is 'acceptable'. We've been relatively speaking, the most successful club since the 11/12 season. We're in a situation where we're heading into an FA Cup semi at Wembley as favourites to get to the final. It just feels like some people have an unrealistic view of what they want to see from the team. I'm not going to say that they expect to win every game, but certainly I get the feeling some think that we should be winning the title more or less every year. And, when we don't they seem to want to use the money we've spent on players as a stick to beat the team with.

At some point you need to get real. We won't win the title every year. We will have seasons like 13/14 and season like this one or the last one. Even if we continue to spend loads and buy the best players. That's life.

The key word for me is unremarkable. Bad? Nah. Certainly not calamitous. This thread's a bit like the one about how much we've won in the last five years and how it's not good enough. I can't help but wonder what exactly it is that people think is 'acceptable'. We've been relatively speaking, the most successful club since the 11/12 season. We're in a situation where we're heading into an FA Cup semi at Wembley as favourites to get to the final. It just feels like some people have an unrealistic view of what they want to see from the team. I'm not going to say that they expect to win every game, but certainly I get the feeling some think that we should be winning the title more or less every year. And, when we don't they seem to want to use the money we've spent on players as a stick to beat the team with.

At some point you need to get real. We won't win the title every year. We will have seasons like 13/14 and season like this one or the last one. Even if we continue to spend loads and buy the best players. That's life.

I think that is what is boils down to. People's expectations are unrealistic

That isn't to say this season couldn't have gone a little better i.e a couple more home wins but that is it, it isn't the end of the world

I expected us to challenge for the league this season, with those extra few home wins we may have done but we are still in with a good chance of 3rd and the FA Cup. Not bad is,it?

Also, in regards to exceptions, some people need to start thinking about next season. I cannot remember the last team to buy more or less a new defence and a new goalkeeper and win the league

I think what is more prtinent is what the owners plan if Pep fails or leaves or is sacked! Is Pep their last plan? Do they have plans for the club after Pep even if he doesnt make us the global footballing powerhouse the owners want

I largely agree that we should embrace our much better current position compared to the suffering of the previous 30 odd years. However, eaten bread is soon forgotten.
When you spend very large sums of money its only natural to expect returns. Of course we can't win the league every year but the last 3 seasons have witnessed relatively poor attempts to challenge for it. This really must go down as underachievement I believe. Personally I think a Cup win this year will keep me more than happy and then I can dream that next year we do win the league!!

I largely agree that we should embrace our much better current position compared to the suffering of the previous 30 odd years. However, eaten bread is soon forgotten.
When you spend very large sums of money its only natural to expect returns. Of course we can't win the league every year but the last 3 seasons have witnessed relatively poor attempts to challenge for it. This really must go down as underachievement I believe. Personally I think a Cup win this year will keep me more than happy and then I can dream that next year we do win the league!!

I agree with the idea that we have underachieved in moments. But. And this is really really important for me. We, the supporters, aren't spending large sums of money on players and therefore we can't "expect returns" in the way that some clearly do. It's Mansour's money ultimately funding our lavish spending sprees. We should be thankful we have an owner who is prepared to back managers and give them money to buy players every summer. What we shouldn't do is immediately start heaping pressure on the managers going "right, you've spent 150 million, we better play like Barcelona". It's a nonsense.

He won't get sacked because we've been after him for 6 years with a plan in place for when he finally arrived and aren't going to change that because a few blues are unhappy we haven't won the treble.
It's got fuck all to do with there being nobody else to bring in.

Jheesus. Alright mate. lol

Yeah, he's a class manager that you've been after for a while, besides he hasn't done anything to warrant getting the sack. Even if next season were similar to this season it's all about longevity.

BUT.

If he were to get sacked, there isn't anyone that would replace him where you could say "well that makes sense". All the managers are taken. Before Klopp, Mourinho, Pep were all available, but they were quickly snapped up. So sacking him now would be pointless.

Yeah, he's a class manager that you've been after for a while, besides he hasn't done anything to warrant getting the sack. Even if next season were similar to this season it's all about longevity.

BUT.

If he were to get sacked, there isn't anyone that would replace him where you could say "well that makes sense". All the managers are taken. Before Klopp, Mourinho, Pep were all available, but they were quickly snapped up. So sacking him now would be pointless.

There's a plethora of top young coaches doing amazing work across Europe who could replace Pep (one day). Fucking Mourinho ... hahaha. He's about as 'top' as Capello was towards the end of his England reign.

BUT.

We could probably nab Klopp if we were so inclined.

;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.