Put petrol in a diesel engine.....help!

Googled it!

It's 50-50 on draining it or keep running it and top it up.
Trouble is 1/5 of tank is petrol.
Not sure. Think i'll get the RAC out in the morning.
Thanks chaps!

Ive done it twice on the same car. Both times got the AA out, taken to garage and drained down.
Got rid of car asap after the 2nd time, it was an unlucky car.

Petrol in a diesel isn't good. Diesel in a petrol is disastrous.

My father-in-law put diesel in his Lada. Realised before he drove off, and got the AA to take it to his usual Lada dealer - and their guy drove it into the workshop! They paid for the repairs.

Contrary to previous posts, a few years back I half filled a Peugeot 406 diesel with petrol. After I'd realised, I filled the rest of the tank with diesel. It ran rough for about half a mile, but after that ran fine, and never had a problem.

That said, I don't recall if it had a cat fitted or not, which I believe is what can get knackered by an incorrect fill.

Google it.

The Pug XUD Diesel engine was pretty indestructible though

Contrary to previous posts, a few years back I half filled a Peugeot 406 diesel with petrol. After I'd realised, I filled the rest of the tank with diesel. It ran rough for about half a mile, but after that ran fine, and never had a problem.

That said, I don't recall if it had a cat fitted or not, which I believe is what can get knackered by an incorrect fill.

Google it.

Did the same in a Peugeot diesel van, filled it about 3/4 full of petrol, ran it for about 8 miles before i realised. It was only when it wouldn't start that It dawned on me and after checking the fuel reciept. Towed it to garage, drained and filled up, no problem. Keep the bad fuel for pitchforked torch processions.
Used to run a Nissan Terrano on cooking oil from Costco.

I think you'll be alright if you keep topping it up with Diesel. If it was Diesel in a Petrol engine it would be fucked already but a bit of petrol in a diesel does no harm. 4 gallons may be a bit too much but if you've already driven it home you'll probably be ok.

Anyway, what could possibly go wrong following advice from someone you don't know on the internet?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.