Northern Ireland

I have always wondered why we bother. Genuine question, if given a referendum what would they do?

At the moment they would vote to stay in the UK. But the gap in the religious background is narrowing. At the last census 48% were protestant or brought up protestant, 45% catholic, compared to 53% and 44% 10 years earlier. Perhaps in 10-20 years time the catholics will be in the majority and demands for a referendum will increase?

But even if there eventually becomes a majority in favour of unification there would be huge and probably bloody opposition from many protestants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20673534

There's been a broadly liberal consensus among the British political classes over the last generation, or so.

We now have the unedifying spectacle of a British government signing an agreement, to remain in power, with a group that many would describe as crypto-fascists.

How do people on the 'mainland' now feel about Northern Ireland being at the heart of British political decision making?

Are they happy to continue to bankroll a province that has challenging levels of self-reliance?

Are NI citizens more or less of a burden that those from the rest of the EU?

If, given the choice, would you want the six counties to remain part of the UK?
Don't see your connection between the abhorrent Tory deal with questioning the legitimacy of NI as part of the UK? Its not the first time that payments above and beyond the Barnett formula have been made. Scotland has been a recipient on a number of occasions. The DUP are just making the most of the opportunity that will benefit their constituents. My beef is with the Tories, not the good people of NI.

Don't think so, it's in the name Republic where is your thinking coming from.? The easter rising would have been in vain.

Not necessarily. The point has been made that they can make a good go of it on their own. So if they ask nicely I'm sure we would let them back in and in doing so create a unified Ireland within the U.K. but outside of the EU.

Because they are our countymen.
An intrinsic part of who we all are.

I have no objection to the dup or any payments to promote this deal.
They are British and that will do for me.
Northern ireland is British and a pleasure to do business.

Had May won a majority like she was supposed too, N.Ireland would be largely forgotten, everyone knows that. It's a shallow deal.

You ask a Taff, he'll say he's Welsh.
You ask a Jock, he's Scottish.
England, English.
Now, Northern Ireland? Oh, he's British! Weird
That's always puzzled me though. Isn't the UK's official name "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland"? If that is correct, that implies that Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, but a separate country. Therefore, someone from Northern Ireland cannot be British per se, can they? Personally, I couldn't give a flying wotsit what flag they choose to live under. It's not going to make any difference to my daily grind. Good luck to them.

That's always puzzled me though. Isn't the UK's official name "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland"? If that is correct, that implies that Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, but a separate country. Therefore, someone from Northern Ireland cannot be British per se, can they? Personally, I couldn't give a flying wotsit what flag they choose to live under. It's not going to make any difference to my daily grind. Good luck to them.
Great Britain is a geographical term - the largest island of the British Isles.

Don't see your connection between the abhorrent Tory deal with questioning the legitimacy of NI as part of the UK? Its not the first time that payments above and beyond the Barnett formula have been made. Scotland has been a recipient on a number of occasions. The DUP are just making the most of the opportunity that will benefit their constituents. My beef is with the Tories, not the good people of NI.
I think it's a legitimate question to raise at this point. I believe the way I've couched the questions suggests I'm still undecided on the point, but if I'm being entirely honest I don't feel the same political connection with Northern Ireland as I do with Wales and Scotland. This is principally because their politics are so alien to my outlook on life. It's certainly not, as you suggest, anything to do with a billion quid here or there, but rather that the politicians who now represent the people of the province, whose social views are profoundly out of sync with mine and anyone I associate with (Tory or Labour), are holding the whip hand over our political decision making. For me, that has accentuated how unconnected people in Northern Ireland are politically with the rest of the UK. It's not just the Unionists btw, Sinn Fein's engagement is even less pronounced. I also think the direction of travel their politics has moved in the last decade or so, with the more moderate SDLP and Ulster Unionists becoming largely irrelevant, has fortified that view in me.

I should add that I like the people of Northern Ireland very much. Whenever I have visited, I have always found them to be unfailingly friendly and hospitable.

I believe that given the amount of financial support England in particular provides to the province, the recent turn of events, and the power those ten MPs (with social views the vast majority on the 'mainland' would find abhorrent) now hold over those on the 'mainland', people are entitled to question the nature of the relationship moving forward.

Are you suggesting they are not?

Great Britain is the Island which houses England, Scotland and Wales and is the largest of the British Isles (which includes Ireland). They mainly use AND NI to exclude Southern Ireland. This was brought in 1922, when Ireland became a free state. It would have made sense at the same time, if they'd given a timetable for a United Ireland, something Churchill was in favour of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.