Northern Ireland

See the Daily Mirror headlines has branded them "nutcases" i suggest the editorial team of this rag take a good look around the war cemeteries of Europe from WW1 and WW2 and see how many Northern Irish gave their lives for this country, Paddy Mayne one of the founders of the SAS and one of the British army's most decorated soldiers was an Ulsterman and a true Brit
What's someone dying in a war 100 years ago got to do with the political views of people born entirely after that war and the following war finished?

One thing I'm absolutely convinced about is that the conflict will flare up again in the next few years to one degree or another. The situation is very frail and problems with Brexit, political issues in Stormont and now this deal are not going to help. 12th July is going to be very interesting.

Most folk from NI that I know describe themselves as Irish rather than British, some would rather retain the political union with the UK others would rather unite with the rest of Ireland but most call themselves Irish

I've got family from both north/south ireland ( galway). My grandad and lots of my family are from belfast. i can't see northern ireland uniting with the rest of ireland any time soon tbh. maybe in 30 or 40 years or if circumstances dramatically change.

Great Britain is a geographical term - the largest island of the British Isles.

Great Britain is the Island which houses England, Scotland and Wales and is the largest of the British Isles (which includes Ireland). They mainly use AND NI to exclude Southern Ireland. This was brought in 1922, when Ireland became a free state. It would have made sense at the same time, if they'd given a timetable for a United Ireland, something Churchill was in favour of.
So; technically, I was right then. NI isn't part of "Britain", it's part of the UK.

I've got family from both north/south ireland ( galway). My grandad and lots of my family are from belfast. i can't see northern ireland uniting with the rest of ireland any time soon tbh. maybe in 30 or 40 years or if circumstances dramatically change.
A section of the great unwashed down here (particularly the older generation) have this romantic notion of Ireland being one country again. Most of the younger ones though are not really that bothered. Plus, in cold hard financial terms, the Republic couldn't afford to take on the North now. The words "pot", "piss" and "in" spring to mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.