Real Madrid want Otamendi

I've never understood the lack of appreciation for Otamendi, he's a superb defender. Let's compare him to Toby Alderweireld in the league last season who, most on here consider one of the best centre backs in the league.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Even more interestingly - if you compare Nico's stats last season to those of Kompany's during the 11/12 season (where Kompany played 31 league games) - Nico still comes out on top across most of the above.

I've never understood the lack of appreciation for Otamendi, he's a superb defender. Let's compare him to Toby Alderweireld in the league last season who, most on here consider one of the best centre backs in the league.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Even more interestingly - if you compare Nico's stats last season to those of Kompany's during the 11/12 season (where Kompany played 31 league games) - Nico still comes out on top across most of the above.
Well said that man. Thread is rapidly turning into a yawnfest.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Problem with those (or any stats) is that they can't tell the full story. So for aerial battles won, how about how many were lost; or interceptions, how do you measure when a defender is in a good position, meaning the pass was never even attempted?

Football is a team game, so it becomes impossible to make sense of any stats without taking into account that one had Wanyama in front and Rose next to him whilst the other had Sagna being asked to play as the defensive midfield and Clichy as the fullback.

As for Ottamendi, personally I wouldn't be upset if he went and we got £30m for him. I'm not going to say he's a bad defender, but I'm not sure he's suited to the premier league and/or our style

We'd be fucked without a player that spends half the time on his arse, crawling around like a toddler? He's shit and he was only made to look good by Kompany. Can't wait until he leaves and we get a centre back that's capable of taking control of a defence. Stones is equally as bad, but he did show at the start of last season that he's got potential to be a quality centre back. Otamendi is 29 year old experienced international, if we can't rely on him now, we never will.
Bollox. He has cut out the diving in as well you know. he is miles ahead of Stones in every way and as the other posted just stated, we would have been fucked without him. Alongside Kompany he was solid, but he was equally as impressive without him.

Bollox. He has cut out the diving in as well you know. he is miles ahead of Stones in every way and as the other posted just stated, we would have been fucked without him. Alongside Kompany he was solid, but he was equally as impressive without him.

Don't agree with you. He doesn't cut it, we will be exposed again next season when Kompanys injured. Cut out the diving in? I'll remember that one!

Definitely keep him, he's been pretty solid for us, once he cuts out the diving in, which he has to some degree, and gets a decent partner, he's very dependable, and I can see why Madrid want him, he's got good feet, can see a pass. Defenders we a re short of, letting him go isn't a wise move

Problem with those (or any stats) is that they can't tell the full story. So for aerial battles won, how about how many were lost; or interceptions, how do you measure when a defender is in a good position, meaning the pass was never even attempted?

Football is a team game, so it becomes impossible to make sense of any stats without taking into account that one had Wanyama in front and Rose next to him whilst the other had Sagna being asked to play as the defensive midfield and Clichy as the fullback.

As for Ottamendi, personally I wouldn't be upset if he went and we got £30m for him. I'm not going to say he's a bad defender, but I'm not sure he's suited to the premier league and/or our style
Of course statistics such as the ones I shared will never tell the full story, but they do go someway to painting a picture of Otamendi not being anywhere near as incompetent as most on here try to make out, especially when compared to a centre back widely accepted as one of the best in the league.

Let's also not forget that Otamendi played in a team playing hugely expansive football, with little to no protection from midfield and aging full backs. When both fit; Kompany and Otamendi have to be first choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.