West Brom (League Cup) Post match thread

The referee was pretty casual in not controlling the cynical and over physical challenges early on. That sets the tone and opens the door for poor/clumsy/rash challenges later on. I'm not sure who dragged the studs down Yaya's achilles but how the referee from 5-10 yards away didn't caution them is a mystery.

Having only seen one full speed replay I'm not entirely convinced Delph got the ball when he was given his yellow. But I could be wrong there. Leroy and Raheem yellows were correct, regardless of what had occurred earlier with Ilkay it amazes me how nearly every player in the prem gets stupid yellows venting frustration. I suppose that level of competitive aggression is a good thing though so can be forgiven. It's tough to swallow though when the refereeing standards are so poor and I think the players feel that.

Leroy saves us this game single handedly and we were more than lucky not to concede after Ferny replaced him. We dodged a bullet today. It's a shame we didn't score more early when we were all over them so we could get Diaz and Foden on. Maybe in the wolves game.

Also the way we panicked in that final 20 minutes after Leroy scored was very 2016. As many have mentioned Bravo just doesn't give us that confidence in defence. But even walker, Dani, Ferny all hoofing it up to nobody just so it comes back was also a product of Yaya being absent and us not having an outlet. The baggies were pressing right up too so they can take a little credit but with our front line eleven I really think we'd have been comfortable.

Sane was for kicking the ball away stupidly and Sterlings was for mouthing off. Two very avoidable cards but fully deserving. I think Delphs booking was a poor decision as i believe it was a good tackle and wasn't even a foul but it did look a bit nasty in real time, The ref obviously didn't have the hindsight of a replay so i can see why he'd book him thinking it was a foul, and i honestly can't remember why Danilo was booked. As for them, Yacob was rightly booked for the Gundogan foul, certainly wasn't a red. And aside from that there wasn't anything from them that you can say absolutely warranted a card, a few cynical tactical fouls that if you were to book somebody for you'd have 5v5 every match.

The ref was adequate. For those calling it a terrible performance, what exactly was so terrible about it? I can think of literally 1/2 mildly contentious decisions from both sides at most and nothing else. He spotted the foul on Gundogan in the first half in our own box that could have let them equalise, i thought he actually made the right call several times when Bernardo lost the ball or went over very easily looking for a foul when it wasn't one. (something that Bernardo needs to adjust to) It's just people over reacting because Gundogan might have been injured from a poor challenge that the player was punished for. Is the ref supposed to say to West Brom players you're not allowed to go near him because he's just coming back from an injury?

Wasn't a Red ? - Sounds like you are a WUM!.

Last edited:
There will be many games where things don't go as they want, they need to learn and get on with it however frustrating, those bookings were needless and could result in them being missing at key times further down the road.

Disagree on it being a red, yellow card and nothing more imo, think the ref got it right. As for the other fouls, i don't recall any on Jesus remotely warranting a yellow, the one on Yaya was just accidental, again, a foul and nothing more, not every foul is a booking. He also let Yaya off with a very cynical typical Yaya can't be arsed tackle in the first half that he could easily have been booked for and Mangala committed enough niggling fouls, more than Macauly anyway that could have justified a booking too. As i said earlier, if Gundogan had got up and carried on after that tackle nobody would be mentioning the refs performance.

You probably thought Mane wasn't a red - 'Pool against City. Studs -?. in the face 5 feet off the ground. ?.

The referee's have to start doing their job end off! If they don't they should be taken to task and dealt with.Our players regularly get kicked to fuck, the ref does nothing so we get frustrated and react, then WE get booked! It has to stop.

You better get used to it my friend, won't get any better. In every single fucking match you'll pray for the safety of City's players. To me it's a miracle Gaby and Raheem walked on their feet out of the pitch after ref's final whistle. 4 fucking yellows for City, McAuley wasn't even booked ffs. It's sick...

Like others, I saw it coming with Ilkay. Terrible, fucking terrible feeling. Hopefully he will be OK. Otherwise it will be a nightmare for the boy as well as his teammates...

A win is a win, but as I said earlier today & have repeated all season, we're a work in progress & still have a long way to go. All it will take is a few injuries, fatigue & loss of form & our season will come down to what we have as strength in depth.

I've been saying our season will rely on Danilo, Mangala, Delph & the 2-3 kids we have, & we may have to start squeezing square pegs into round holes to see us through matches like tonight.

Tonight our weaknesses were exposed in the 2nd half, but we have no choice other than to roll with what we have until we can address them next summer.

Without pissing on several fans' expectations, I've always said that it will take until season 2019 - 2020 until all our changes & our transformation will take full effect. This is just my personal opinion, & personally I'm happy with linear progression from now until then. I'd easily sacrifice short term gains for long term success.

Again, personally I'm happy to wait until EVERYTHING is in place & all our gaps are plugged before I start to judge Pep & our team. We're heading in the right direction, but even the great Guardiola will need time to set us straight after 4 years of regression.

Just keep the faith.

PS: Fingers & toes cross fir Ilkay.

We received more yellows than the hacks .
It takes the piss doesn't it? Not only do they kick fuck out of our footballers but we get punished for getting in their way while they do it. Other teams will take note of that and will tactically target the Silvas, De Bruyne, Gundogan whoever it is that pulls the strings controls the game and makes us tick. Will they get away with doing that to media darlings? Will they fuck, that shit can't be tolerated.

Managers of opposing teams will be taking note, kick them up and down the park because the refs don't give a fuck about protecting real football players from dangerous tackles by inferior opposition. It's almost as if they are allowed to express their frustration at chasing shadows but we are held to the highest standards they can possibly justify. Already this season our fair play record, like last season is atrocious. We get players booked and sent off for kicking the ball away, looking aggressively over their shoulders at other players and having the audacity to think celebrate 97th minute winning goals in front of our own fans is ok.

Fuck them. Like 2012 we have to do it the hard way and they make sure we won't have a lead to relax with at the end of the season (or a healthy squad of players for that matter)

It's bullshit and we are up against it nearly every game. We need to blast teams out of sight with a relentless pursuit of goals. Knock that corrupt strategising out of them when the result can be influenced by fine margins. Tonight the ref sent the message to the rest of the league, target your man when you play City and mash him up when you get the chance, it's ok, you get to keep your thug to kick again (yacob who went on to score tonight) and City have to use a sub for a injured player.

Bravo - There ain't God and his save set the winner. Bravo!.
Stones - Excellent.
Mangala - Very good
Danilo - Good 1st half, panicky 2nd.
Delph = Good game.
Gündogan - Superb Motm until clogged, hope he is OK.
Toure - Glad for his 300 show.
B. Silva - Not disappointing, set the winner and was roughed down
Sterling -He shot the foster, keep it lad, excellent.
Jesus - Looked good until his hand injury then mainly anonymous.
Sane - What a player we have here, must learn to calm down when the ref is a twat and a bent cünt.
Walker - Helped stem the tide and was very calm and assured.
Fernandinho - Bloody hell he put the shits up me with a couple of terrible passes.

Last edited:
That second half was pretty dire. Unnecessary cards for dissent and kicking the ball away and we completely lost our heads and midfield when Ilkay got injured.
Yaya didn't seem to do anything to calm us down and regain composure and I'm not too sure I'm liking his attitude, he seems lethargic and pissed off and that can't be helping the team spirit.
The game should've been put to bed in the first half, instead we leave 3 men unmarked in front of goal for the corner and concede way too easily.
We really only have ourselves to blame for letting them back in the game.
Anyway, we weathered the storm but I'd like to see more composure going forward
When you watch the rags concede fouls the first thing you notice is it's very rare they get booked, secondly they nearly always kick the ball away but it is never noticed, especially at the swamp. For us it's another story, they apply the rules stringently

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.