West Brom (League Cup) Post match thread

A scissor tackle from behind with studs down the Achilles for good measure straight red every day of the week if the fifa directive is followed. Not to mention Macauly on Jesus several times. Was it not Yacob who studded Ya-Ya as well?

Bang on.

It's a pointless, unnecessary competition, at a time when the decent teams are playing European group stage games. Wouldn't bother me one bit if we decided not to bother.

Me too or just give the academy players a run out like Arsenal used to do. It was different when realistically it was probably the only trophy we had a chance of winning and Europe for is was a pre season friendly but times have changed.

Sane was for kicking the ball away stupidly and Sterlings was for mouthing off. Two very avoidable cards but fully deserving. I think Delphs booking was a poor decision as i believe it was a good tackle and wasn't even a foul but it did look a bit nasty in real time, The ref obviously didn't have the hindsight of a replay so i can see why he'd book him thinking it was a foul, and i honestly can't remember why Danilo was booked. As for them, Yacob was rightly booked for the Gundogan foul, certainly wasn't a red. And aside from that there wasn't anything from them that you can say absolutely warranted a card, a few cynical tactical fouls that if you were to book somebody for you'd have 5v5 every match.

The ref was adequate. For those calling it a terrible performance, what exactly was so terrible about it? I can think of literally 1/2 mildly contentious decisions from both sides at most and nothing else. He spotted the foul on Gundogan in the first half in our own box that could have let them equalise, i thought he actually made the right call several times when Bernardo lost the ball or went over very easily looking for a foul when it wasn't one. (something that Bernardo needs to adjust to) It's just people over reacting because Gundogan might have been injured from a poor challenge that the player was punished for. Is the ref supposed to say to West Brom players you're not allowed to go near him because he's just coming back from an injury?
Absolutely this. West Brom ruffled our feathers. What did we expect? "Ooh City, do please knock it around for fun whilst we clap and praise you to the heavens." There wasn't one nailed on shocking decision. Boot on the other foot we'd have all been saying, "well done City for getting stuck in". West Brom, especially in the 2nd half, harried and hustled, we lost the ball under pressure. Were we kicked off the park? No. Did we get the wrong end of one/two shocking decisions? Not one. So all the fanny merchants claiming the ref did nothing to protect us...make your way to the ball-bag department at St. Mary's. Someone's got your bollocks. You need them back.

54 passes according to C5 for the first goal. That's what we should be talking about!
Also, with all those posters on here in the build up to the match saying we should play Diaz, foden or both, what are their views now? If they don't start next round, when will they?

Last edited:
Are you for fucking real? I'm still fuming about that refereeing performance and you're going to get the sharp end of my tongue for your whitewashing of that horrendous performance from that **** Jones. How many fucking fouls did McAuley get away with without a yellow, despite numerous fouls when Danilo got booked for one challenge? Very selective memory you've fucking got. And the same for Dawson?

And how the fuck did they get a free-kick when Nyom twice hauled Sterling down and he didn't even get a free kick, let alone the yellow he should have got. Delph got booked for a far less bad challenge than Yacob's. And having watched that performance have to come on here and see posts from fucking muppets like you.

Hang on, I'm apparently the one with selective memory, but you're the one that can recall every single little foul by West Brom yet fail to mention a single one from us that equally went unpunished.

As i said, if you seriously think the likes of Mcauley or any of their other defenders deserved a booking for persistent fouling then so did Mangala for us who committed just as many if not more little niggling fouls and got away with it. He consistently let little fouls slide for both sides,and as long as he's consistent in it, that's fine. Not sure what Yacob's challenge has to do with any other tackle or booking, everything should be dealt with independently, Yacob was rightly booked for his challenge, I do actually think he got the Delph booking wrong, i don't even think it was a foul but in real time it's fairly understandable for him to see it as a foul, it looked like one until the replays and in that situation where he saw it as a foul a card would be warranted. To not book him would be getting it wrong twice.

So this "horrendous performance" as you put it, currently consists of a handful of niggling fouls from them that didn't mount up to a possible card, a missed pull on Sterling, a debatable card for Delph and what else? There was nothing standout bad, nothing as incompetent as the decision to send Walker off against Everton. You can fume all you want but remove the emotion of Gundogan getting injured (something the ref had zero influence on) and nobody even mentions the ref tonight.

As for the personal insults, completely unnecessary and very rag-like.

Hang on, I'm apparently the one with selective memory, but you're the one that can recall every single little foul by West Brom yet fail to mention a single one from us that equally went unpunished.

As i said, if you seriously think the likes of Mcauley or any of their other defenders deserved a booking for persistent fouling then so did Mangala for us who committed just as many if not more little niggling fouls and got away with it. He consistently let little fouls slide for both sides,and as long as he's consistent in it, that's fine. Not sure what Yacob's challenge has to do with any other tackle or booking, everything should be dealt with independently, Yacob was rightly booked for his challenge, I do actually think he got the Delph booking wrong, i don't even think it was a foul but in real time it's fairly understandable for him to see it as a foul, it looked like one until the replays and in that situation where he saw it as a foul a card would be warranted. To not book him would be getting it wrong twice.

So this "horrendous performance" as you put it, currently consists of a handful of niggling fouls from them that didn't mount up to a possible card, a missed pull on Sterling, a debatable card for Delph and what else? There was nothing standout bad, nothing as incompetent as the decision to send Walker off against Everton. You can fume all you want but remove the emotion of Gundogan getting injured (something the ref had zero influence on) and nobody even mentions the ref tonight.

The ref was shit. He protected Jacob with the yellow card not Gundogam. Hopefully the authorities will still have the bottle to review the cowardly challenge.

I disagree, we'd still be saying the ref allowed that game to become too physical and we were lucky not to sustain injuries. If the ref handed out yellows in the first half to West Brom who obviously wanted a physical game our players wouldn't have received the cards they did later in the game. I'm confident that our players wouldn't deserve any bookings at all(we'd have the ball and they'd be chasing shadows), Mangala's fouls are normally due to the fact that he's a much bigger unit than most he's not booting players clumsily unless I missed some challenges in that game(possibly as I was trying to locate a stream that wasn't freezing for a while).

Delph's card was wrong not even a foul as you conceded, I'll point to Sterling's and Sané's though(the way Jesus got clattered and booted at times I'm surprised he didn't react at some point as he used to be known for it) and ask you do you really think those were born out of anything but frustration at them(WBA) being allowed to get away with so much which eventually led to injuring one of their team mates and disrupting the teams rhythm?

They say a ref should take each game in isolation but the problem there is Yacob has a history of clumsy or reckless challenges that have affected players' seasons through injury. As I said in another thread a yellow obviously isn't enough of a deterrent(not saying he meant it but I'd say to any player if you can't win the ball without making a hash of it and injuring someone think twice it's not just about you) in some cases and if laws of the game apply a red would be better(in this case they do it was a scissor challenge from behind and someone had to be taken off).

Last edited:
54 passes according to C5 for the first goal. That's what we should be talking about!
Also, with all those posters on here in the build up to the match saying we should play Diaz, foden or both, what are their views now? If they don't start next round, when will they?
Think it was cowardly from Pep not to play them and it would be almost under perfect circumstances for them to get a proper chance. We are one goal up and West Brom are still giving their everything to get something from the game. Foden for example wouldnt have much time on the ball and if he was too slow he'd get tackled. Worst case scenario we lose our lead and go out. Maybe even because of a mistake by Foden or Diaz. Then Pep could see that the game were a bit to quick for them and that their lack of senior football got the better of them. I guess there still wouldnt be much criticism of Pep (you never know these days though do you?) as he gave two fans favourites from the academy a proper chance and it's a tournament you dont cry yourself to sleep over after a loss in the third round.
I'm afraid that if we'll ever seen Foden or Diaz this season it will be when we are three or four goals up (maybe last 10 against Wolves if we're two goals up) and then they will face opponents that just wants the whistle to be blown, maybe won't bother get into duels or even worse - losing their heads and kicking our players of the pitch in frustation. In such scenarios Pep still won't know if Foden or Diaz can handle senior football as the game will be dead already when they get on. Today was maybe the best opportunity for them all season to get minutes in a game where their team mates still gives 100% and the opposition chasing and fights for their lives.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.