Help with call barring

Raises an interesting point this.

Why are there no phones - or at least there doesn't seem to be any - that will enable you to set up a directory of contacts (effectively a "whitelist") and only allow incoming calls from those people in your contact list?

Would seem like a very simple and easy to implement feature.

Truecall requires the caller to input a pin number before being connected. Totally cuts out the problem. Not sure of the cost though.

Edit.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm

100 for the device and optional 20 annual charge for online management. Seems reasonable mate. Seems you wont need the yearly subs if you just use it for a certain amount of numbers to be allowed and for it to block everything else. The online management seems to be for features you would not need. Reviews look positive.
Sounds similar to this:

But that's American, so I don't know if it'd work.

Good point, never really thought of that. There is one problem with that however.......she thinks the TV remote is a telephone and has gone through 4 in the last 18 mths because when she picks it up there's never anyone there........
Bless her, she had " yet another faulty telly " and every 20 seconds or so the telly would go off and then 20 seconds later would come back on again. This just happened to coincide with her taking a spoonful of soup and was therefore convinced the telly was controlled by the soup spoon. You see the problem........

I certainly do!
My mother in law used to use the tv remote the wrong way round.She fell a lot so we signed her up to this service where she wore a device that would contact them if she fell. Trouble was she used to phone them to tell them her tv wasn’t working. She also got convinced that standby lights on items were fires starting. She regularly phoned 999 to report a fire. We ended up taping over every stand by light in her house. She phoned the police when she became convinced that the shadow of trees moving against her blinds was a burglar. Every time she got a paper with a scratch card in it she was convinced she won a car or a house and would phone us at 2, 3 or 4 in the morning to say she could hear her long dead husband walking about upstairs - she lived in a bungalow.
To be blunt her last 18 months were a nightmare for her and the family.

One thing we did was daily intercept the mail. She was bombarded by charity begging letters for the reason I previously said. I wrote to every charity we had a letter from asking them to remove her from their database. They did and all the letters would stop until she managed to get to one and reply and the whole pantomime would start again with dozens of letters arriving.
Like you we took her cards and cheque books off her. So she’d fill envelopes with coins and ask us to post them. We never did of course.

I wish you all the best with the trials you are facing.

I certainly do!
My mother in law used to use the tv remote the wrong way round.She fell a lot so we signed her up to this service where she wore a device that would contact them if she fell. Trouble was she used to phone them to tell them her tv wasn’t working. She also got convinced that standby lights on items were fires starting. She regularly phoned 999 to report a fire. We ended up taping over every stand by light in her house. She phoned the police when she became convinced that the shadow of trees moving against her blinds was a burglar. Every time she got a paper with a scratch card in it she was convinced she won a car or a house and would phone us at 2, 3 or 4 in the morning to say she could hear her long dead husband walking about upstairs - she lived in a bungalow.
To be blunt her last 18 months were a nightmare for her and the family.

One thing we did was daily intercept the mail. She was bombarded by charity begging letters for the reason I previously said. I wrote to every charity we had a letter from asking them to remove her from their database. They did and all the letters would stop until she managed to get to one and reply and the whole pantomime would start again with dozens of letters arriving.
Like you we took her cards and cheque books off her. So she’d fill envelopes with coins and ask us to post them. We never did of course.

I wish you all the best with the trials you are facing.
My Dad was somewhat bemused when the police were banging on the door at 3 O'clock in the morning, responding to the call from the lady - my gran - who had called 999 saying she'd been kidnapped and was being held hostage.

Seems rather funny now, but I can imagine it wasn't at the time.

But cold call companies buy CD directories of Numbers in bulk. Popular, unused even ex-directory. They all get hoovered up.

But cold call companies buy CD directories of Numbers in bulk. Popular, unused even ex-directory. They all get hoovered up.

Changed our landline 2 years ago and not had one un solicited call. Mind you, we never use the number, in fact i don't even know it.
Never put it on any forms or given it to insurance companies etc. I did give it to the NHS when we changed and a couple of days later got a cold call off a cheeky bastrds private health company. Coincidence ?

I get these calls with my personal mobile.
For some reason I have not had one of these calls with my works mobile.

Trouble with that is you cannot make 999 calls On voip services

no expert so this might have drawbacks but a quick google did this

When you dial emergency services from your VoIP telephone, your call is sent to national emergency operators who handle your call.

Registering for emergency services simply gives them access to your location details which you can update at anytime.

if you have any questions about registering or updating your numbers, please don't hesitate to contact our customers services team who will be more than happy to help.

To register or update your location information, please log in to your account using the button below.

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/999_Emergency_Services.php

id also have a cheap mobile incoming calls on bar on hand and on charge for emergency

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.