Rainbow laces campaign

Hey, you are all talking about gender and sexuality issues......the campaign is working.
When you consider the background of our owners, it's to the club's credit that it gets involved positively, no doubt Mansour and Khaldoon approve.

Hey, you are all talking about gender and sexuality issues......the campaign is working.
When you consider the background of our owners, it's to the club's credit that it gets involved positively, no doubt Mansour and Khaldoon approve.
Absolutely it’s working in that it highlights an issue. Sadly, go and look at the comments under the club’s various social media accounts. It’s betind depressing that such wankers follow a club in Manchester. They have no idea of the city’s history of tolerance and inclusivity.

Absolutely it’s working in that it highlights an issue. Sadly, go and look at the comments under the club’s various social media accounts. It’s betind depressing that such wankers follow a club in Manchester. They have no idea of the city’s history of tolerance and inclusivity.
Phase 2...change some minds. I'm an optimist, it will only take a generation or three.

Are people really surprised that people from countries where homosexuality carries the death penalty might be a little bit homophobic?

Are people really surprised that people from countries where homosexuality carries the death penalty might be a little bit homophobic?
Then can fuck off and support Al Ain or some other tin pot shite side. Or shut the fuck up. Or better yet, top themselves.

As a gay fan, it depresses me seeing some of the reactions to this campaign. Those who think there is no issue with homophobia (and racism for that matter) in football have their heads buried in the sand. I wouldn't say this is a regular thing, but I've heard homophobic comments shouted at both home and away players several times a season since I can remember - only on Tuesday did a fella next to me shout at Bernardo Silva to "not be such a poofter" when he went down easily and then looked at the referee for sympathy. Last season, I started challenging the fans in question if I knew where it came from or reporting incidents to the club if not - one shouted at Sterling because of the way he runs, one shouted at the referee for not giving a free kick (which was, at best, a dubious decision anyway), and one at an opponent who stayed down and needed treatment.

It's funny that I've also heard the odd racist comment from the stands and they've been challenged by four or five others almost immediately. Nothing is said to those making homophobic comments.

For me, for rainbow laces to work, I think they need to be compulsory - with the players given the option to opt out. That way, if they don't want to take part, they have to actively make the choice to, rather than being able to hide behind not knowing about the campaign or forgetting or whatever. If they want to give a reason, they can. If they don't, they don't have to.

Football is exactly the place to challenge attitudes because football continues to prove itself in need of having those attitudes challenged.

Good post mate. And your spot on regarding homophobic comments around our ground. I honestly think these thick fuckers think its normal and nothing wrong saying poofter, bender and words alike at players. This will go on at every club up and down the country.

Good post mate. And your spot on regarding homophobic comments around our ground. I honestly think these thick fuckers think its normal and nothing wrong saying poofter, bender and words alike at players. This will go on at every club up and down the country.
My guess would be that most people saying that sort of thing aren't homophobic, they're just not really thinking about the language they're using. Like how kids used to call everything they didn't like gay (does that still happen?).

bit cringey if i'm honest, is the flag an official thing done by the club ?
Anyone is welcome at a football match regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation etc..
It's not an issue and doing shit like this and the kick racism out of football kind of stuff only antagonises people and i'm sure a homosexual city fan doesn't want the club to create a new flag to highlight their sexuality, it's a game of bloody football where there is no criteria for buying a ticket.
is racism/homophobia really a problem in football, not in my opinion it's far more widespread in pubs, why not target your local boozer where racism/homophobia is far more common than at a game of football
We are all entitled to our opinion and I agree with this one.

My guess would be that most people saying that sort of thing aren't homophobic, they're just not really thinking about the language they're using. Like how kids used to call everything they didn't like gay (does that still happen?).
Wether they are homophbic or not mate it needs stamping out.

As a gay fan, it depresses me seeing some of the reactions to this campaign. Those who think there is no issue with homophobia (and racism for that matter) in football have their heads buried in the sand. I wouldn't say this is a regular thing, but I've heard homophobic comments shouted at both home and away players several times a season since I can remember - only on Tuesday did a fella next to me shout at Bernardo Silva to "not be such a poofter" when he went down easily and then looked at the referee for sympathy. Last season, I started challenging the fans in question if I knew where it came from or reporting incidents to the club if not - one shouted at Sterling because of the way he runs, one shouted at the referee for not giving a free kick (which was, at best, a dubious decision anyway), and one at an opponent who stayed down and needed treatment.

It's funny that I've also heard the odd racist comment from the stands and they've been challenged by four or five others almost immediately. Nothing is said to those making homophobic comments.

For me, for rainbow laces to work, I think they need to be compulsory - with the players given the option to opt out. That way, if they don't want to take part, they have to actively make the choice to, rather than being able to hide behind not knowing about the campaign or forgetting or whatever. If they want to give a reason, they can. If they don't, they don't have to.

Football is exactly the place to challenge attitudes because football continues to prove itself in need of having those attitudes challenged.

Good post mate. A lot of the most sinister comments on social media tend to come from City fans from other cultures, but there is still a casual homophobia at games that is rarely challenged, as you say. Opposition players thought to be feigning injury are regularly referred to as “faggots”, and when I used to stand in 111 you’d get chants of “Who’s the faggot in the pink”, whenever an opposition fan was singled out for wearing that colour (I’ve moved to the Family Stand now, so not sure if that still happens?).

I think the lack of current players willing to come out, presumably because they fear being targeted by rival fans, shows that this is still a very real issue.

Not sure that making rainbow laces mandatory will make a huge difference though. The clubs need to clamp down by treating homophobic insults or chants in the same way that racism is dealt with. I’m sure they profess to already, but in reality it doesn’t seem to happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.