Forgotten Clubs

2eb7ds7.jpg
Cyprus Tavern?

Altrincham FC - used to flirt with being allowed into the then old 4th Div but the ground wasn't up to scratch and they wouldn't pay for it. Currently sit top of the Evostick Premier League after successive relegations from some other obscure league. Went to see them away against Torquay Utd a couple of years ago with a mammoth away following of 83!

Bradford Park Avenue now back in the National League North.

Here's one, York City - Currently in the National League North as well!

I was just going to mention York.

Mrs Vienna's daughter and family live there, so we tend to keep an eye on their results.

Altrincham FC - used to flirt with being allowed into the then old 4th Div but the ground wasn't up to scratch and they wouldn't pay for it. Currently sit top of the Evostick Premier League after successive relegations from some other obscure league. Went to see them away against Torquay Utd a couple of years ago with a mammoth away following of 83!
Were cheated out of a place in the league in the late 70's at the old boys network of ''keeping each other in the league''.
They lost by one vote. I think it was Luton who abstained and one club didn't turn up at the AGM.

Way back in the 1960`s I remember Barrow being in the FL.

My home town team (bloody awful place!). I seem to remember being told as a child about Barrow losing out on election to the football league due to Peter Swales and Altrincham. Something about him pulling some strings to get his team promoted instead. Never knew if it was true or not.
City actually played at Holker St a few times, once in the late 70’s I think, Dennis Tuart scored a beautiful lob from way outside the box, and Peter Reid brought the team for a testimonial. I remember a young Gary Flitcroft that night having a shocker!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.