Forgotten Clubs

City played Barrow in the F A Cup in Jan 1946, when the ties were of two legs. We won 6-2 (h) and drew 2-2 (a). The league was not "official" that season, but the F A Cup was.

I think if we played Barrow now it might be more than 6-2.

Actually it was 8-4 and 2-2 Swifty. In the next round 'typical' City won 3-1 at Bradford PA in the first leg but contrived to lose the second leg at Maine Road 8-2 and the tie 9-5 on aggregate.

That season the running joke was that if the rags were drawn against Carlisle in one of the cups and the rags won would they be classed as giant killers.

And yes, after 4 games Carlisle were top of Division 1 but their early season form soon collapsed and they were relegated. That didn't stop City from doing the seemingly impossible and losing home and away to them.

Typical City!

Drive along the M65 quite a bit and always think back to footballs early days when I pass Nelson. Pretty sure that the game was first reported in medieval times as being a horrid event that uncouth northern villagers were playing in the hills, chasing a pigs bladder around in the mud and rain and kicking the daylights out of each other.

Drive along the M65 quite a bit and always think back to footballs early days when I pass Nelson. Pretty sure that the game was first reported in medieval times as being a horrid event that uncouth northern villagers were playing in the hills, chasing a pigs bladder around in the mud and rain and kicking the daylights out of each other.

Think they won the old Third Division North before the Second World War. Always associate Nelson more with cricket than football for some reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.