Forgotten Clubs

Leigh RMI, they're now Leigh Genesis or something, playing in a Sunday League division. Started out life as Horwich RMI in the late 1800's but the fans wouldn't stomach the move to Hilton Park and stopped going, mind you, the fact it was 7 quid to get in made me a one time only supporter when I moved across the water.

Carlisle United - can remember being involved in a house clearance some years back and in a chest of drawers was a sheet of old newspaper dating from about 1973.
It showed the old Division 1 league table and i was pleasantly shocked to see them near the top of the table. :)

I think you might be a year or two out.

Carlisle were promoted at the end of the 73/74 season; just after the Lawman's wonderful back-heel at the swamp.

Carlisle and the rags missed each other, as the Cumbrians went straight back down and, unfortunately, the scummy twats were promoted.

Went to St John's university which is a stones throw away and used to go regularly. Got a lot of York supporting mates and watched them against my home team Lincoln a lot. Generally like them and want them to do well but they can fucking rot whilst they have Jon Parkin, Sean Newton and various other thugs plying their trade in their colours. They were a disgusting team to play against and watch last season and I laughed when they went down.

Halifax sprung to my mind on this thread.
I've got to say, watching their final game of the season last year was quite entertaining. The whole thing with Jackie McNamara stinks.

I've got to say, watching their final game of the season last year was quite entertaining. The whole thing with Jackie McNamara stinks.

Yeah the York supporters I know can't weigh him up. Some haven't got much bad to say about him, whilst the others, well they barely want to share a stadium with him let alone a room.

Went to St John's university which is a stones throw away and used to go regularly. Got a lot of York supporting mates and watched them against my home team Lincoln a lot. Generally like them and want them to do well but they can fucking rot whilst they have Jon Parkin, Sean Newton and various other thugs plying their trade in their colours. They were a disgusting team to play against and watch last season and I laughed when they went down.

Halifax sprung to my mind on this thread.

Wait til Martin Gray weaves his magic, Mourinho is an admirer of his hoofball tactics.

I think you might be a year or two out.

Carlisle were promoted at the end of the 73/74 season; just after the Lawman's wonderful back-heel at the swamp.

Carlisle and the rags missed each other, as the Cumbrians went straight back down and, unfortunately, the scummy twats were promoted.

That season the running joke was that if the rags were drawn against Carlisle in one of the cups and the rags won would they be classed as giant killers.

And yes, after 4 games Carlisle were top of Division 1 but their early season form soon collapsed and they were relegated. That didn't stop City from doing the seemingly impossible and losing home and away to them.

Gretna FC. Came to prominence when insurance entrepreneur Brooks Mileson invested heavily in them. Played in the Scottish Cup Final in 2006 but ill health meant that Mileson was forced to withdraw his support and they folded 2 years later.

Metamorphosized into Gretna 2008 who now ply their trade in the Lowland League (Division 5/6 in Scottish football).

Ujpest Doza. Hungarians, used to feature in Europe regularly. Had some famous players too:
Horvath, Toth, Nagy. Remember them?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.