Worst decision by Peter Swales?

As an old Altrincham follower.
Worst mistake he made was leaving Altrincham, and thinking he could run City the same way.
Swales and Noel White had a good club - I think we can guess who really knew how to handle things.
Swales took us close to the precipice, White became chairman down the East Lancs and eventually went on to be heavily involved with the FA

Don't know how true this is but a lad I know said his m8 installed a burglar alarm system in his home, he said his carpets, settes, etc were all blue he obviously deep down was a blue like the rest of us

Pulling out of the ricky villa/ossie ardilies deal,
re-appointment of big mal,
And many more.

Though now after all these years I look back at old weetbix head with fondness more than rage.

He was a blue, just not a great chairman.

Lakes book shows what a twat he could be

Think we should have a banner
;-)

Peter_Swales_Fan_Club_TShirt__96960.1438271710.500.750.png

Last edited:
Scrolling back I just realised this post was started in 2010!!

Looking back I remember as a kid we won everything playing great football with Bell, Lee, Young and Summerbee and we should have won the title again in 1972 but slipped up near the end allowing Derby to win it. Swales was appointed chairman in 1973 and in spite of winning the league cup in 1976 and coming runners up to Liverpool for the title the following year the rest was pretty dismal. The only bright spot being the 1981 cup final.which we lost.

I felt sorry for Swales as he was a blue through and through ( Although we were so bad that there were rumours he was a rag plant! ) but things just didn't work out for him or us. I actually have two hand written replies from him after I wrote to him in the eighties and his passion for the club came through. About a week before he died I bumped into him in Altrincham and said hello but he looked guarded and haunted so I left it at that. I wanted to chat to him but left him in peace.

People may say our dark times were character building and all that which they were but for a club of our size to have won nothing for 35 years was a disgrace really.

I stumbled on this short piece written just after he died which gives younger fan's s brief insight into his life and period here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...people/peter-swales-obituary-1346086.html?amp

I love threads like this. You get to see the posters who know their stuff when a thread like this is up and running.

I was born in 82 so never lived the Swales era but certainly felt the effect throughout the 90’s of his reign.

Any supporters in their 20’s now should read this thread, pick up any books and watch any documentaries about the club during his time as chairman. It’ll make you appreciate what we’ve got going for us right now 1000 times more than you already do.

I love threads like this. You get to see the posters who know their stuff when a thread like this is up and running.

I was born in 82 so never lived the Swales era but certainly felt the effect throughout the 90’s of his reign.

Any supporters in their 20’s now should read this thread, pick up any books and watch any documentaries about the club during his time as chairman. It’ll make you appreciate what we’ve got going for us right now 1000 times more than you already do.
Yeah but half our older fanbase yearn for when we were shit :)

Like others have said our decline under Swales was him bringing Malcolm Alison back. We spent big money in the late 70s early 80s but we never had a settled period under Swales. His obsession with united meant he was always sacking managers looking for the magic formula. Constantly hiring and firing managers, always in transition, buying expensive players, then the next manager would flog the 'deadwood' in a fire sale.

We never had any stability and throughout the 80s and 90s we were yo-yo-ing relegation promotion. I remember it being pay on the day in the Kippax and some games were a lot more full than the pink final would print as the attendance. Hmm, I wonder where all that extra cash went.

I also can't understand how the club did own it's own badge or souvenir shop.

Swales loved the club, but under his reign we were a standing joke.

Last edited:
Scrolling back I just realised this post was started in 2010!!

Looking back I remember as a kid we won everything playing great football with Bell, Lee, Young and Summerbee and we should have won the title again in 1972 but slipped up near the end allowing Derby to win it. Swales was appointed chairman in 1973 and in spite of winning the league cup in 1976 and coming runners up to Liverpool for the title the following year the rest was pretty dismal. The only bright spot being the 1981 cup final.which we lost.

I felt sorry for Swales as he was a blue through and through ( Although we were so bad that there were rumours he was a rag plant! ) but things just didn't work out for him or us. I actually have two hand written replies from him after I wrote to him in the eighties and his passion for the club came through. About a week before he died I bumped into him in Altrincham and said hello but he looked guarded and haunted so I left it at that. I wanted to chat to him but left him in peace.

People may say our dark times were character building and all that which they were but for a club of our size to have won nothing for 35 years was a disgrace really.

I stumbled on this short piece written just after he died which gives younger fan's s brief insight into his life and period here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/people/peter-swales-obituary-1346086.html?amp

Really good read that and staggering what happened with the Steve Daley transfer. I’ve been a blue since the mid 80s so the only City I knew under Swales was one that yo yod between the top flight and the old division 2, we started to stabilise under Kendall and we could have gone on to be a big hitter in the league under him, wonder if Swales could have done more to keep him and if Kendall ultimately regretted going back to Everton when he looked back at how it went on his return?

Reid kept Kendall’s work going and we were a club not looking over our shoulders worrying about relegation. Then once Swales had departed we started to slide from 94 onwards and we realised we’d all been taken for fools by Franny with his promises of big name managers and players. We got Alan Ball and Kit Symons instead.

Character building as to what we faced as fans, I wonder how Swales would have sorted the Sanchez and Mahrez deals? Million pound a week for Sanchez and silva and De Bruyne plus money for Mahrez?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.