David Silva for FWA Player of the year?

All things considered Silva's performance this season is even more remarkable than that of De Bruyne or Salah.

It's a disgrace he's never won either award but the football writers have a chance to remedy this, on merit.

As the season has progressed Spanish Dave has got better and better, at this point it’s hard to choose between him and Kevin.

Would be fitting for them both to win an award.

It's quite subjective, cant argue about assists and goals but tbh he sits behind the front 3 and without him it could be argued they would not be performaing to the level they are, There have been times when we couldnt do without him, a palpable gap in the team and performance because he wasnt in the side.

All of that against a backdrop of his newborn being ill and worried if his child would survive, inbetween he is putting in a shift for City.

I would vote for him, maybe even above Kev, I think the fwa might just do the same.

Potentially controversial viewpoint incoming:

I don't think Silva deserves it.

I'm not debating he's our best player of all time- a phenomenon. But this season he's got (I think) 8 league goals and 9 league assists, and has missed several games for perfectly understandable personal reasons. Extremely good statistics, no doubt, but not the very best. He does a lot of work outside of goals and assists, true, but is it really enough to overshadow the numbers of the two frontrunners?

In my opinion David Silva is the Premier League Player of the Decade. But this particular season, I feel Salah and De Bruyne are more deserving shouts.

Perfectly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. As fans that get to see him every week, we've almost become used to the brilliance he produces every single time he's on the pitch. The games when Silva hasn't been involved or once hes been subbed off is probably the easiest way to see just how influential he is. The obsession with stats in football now is the reason why he's overlooked so often, what he does is something that isn't quantifiable by stats, he dominates and controls games with ease, that makes him more deserving of recognition than anything else.

Without poo pooing the thread, do you really think the journo's minds will change?

I really do, mate. It took one or two journalists to start singing Scott Parker's praises around this time of year and then they all got behind him and he inexplicably won it in 2011. I've seen the journos on Sunday Supplement take the piss out of themselves for that vote recently.

Then there was Giggs ridiculously winning the Player's Player of the Year in 09 after making 12 league starts. That all came on the back of Fergurson coming out in the press, championing his cause and saying he deserved to win it.

Players, pundits and journalists are almost universal in their praise of David Silva. But they also seem universal in their assertion that he is "underrated" and "under-appreciated".

Perhaps with a little cheerleading from City fans on social media, the journalists might finally give him the recognition he deserves.

I really do, mate. It took one or two journalists to start singing Scott Parker's praises around this time of year and then they all got behind him and he inexplicably won it in 2011. I've seen the journos on Sunday Supplement take the piss out of themselves for that vote recently.

Then there was Giggs ridiculously winning the Player's Player of the Year in 09 after making 12 league starts. That all came on the back of Fergurson coming out in the press, championing his cause and saying he deserved to win it.

Players, pundits and journalists are almost universal in their praise of David Silva. But they also seem universal in their assertion that he is "underrated" and "under-appreciated".

Perhaps with a little cheerleading from City fans on social media, the journalists might finally give him the recognition he deserves.

Should we start with Duncan Castles? :)

Perfectly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. As fans that get to see him every week, we've almost become used to the brilliance he produces every single time he's on the pitch. The games when Silva hasn't been involved or once hes been subbed off is probably the easiest way to see just how influential he is. The obsession with stats in football now is the reason why he's overlooked so often, what he does is something that isn't quantifiable by stats, he dominates and controls games with ease, that makes him more deserving of recognition than anything else.

It's a great post, mate and one I agree with wholeheartedly.

But the thing for me this season is, the stats actually do back up Silva too. He's scored more goals in less games than DeBruyne for example and that's always pointed out as a flaw in his game. He's also up there for assists and chances created, as he always is.

He's also broken the record for the most consecutive wins in a season by a player in English football. I think I also read somewhere that he and DeBruyne when starting together have won their last 26 games or something? Quite phenomenal.

But the stat that backs him more than anything for me is the fact we are 16 points clear. The team is on course to break the points record, goal record and wins record. It would be ridiculous for the Player of the Year to come from any other team than ours. We don't have a forward scoring 60 goals a season like Ronaldo, so we should look how does this team work. What makes it tick. What's the most important element.

For me the most important element of the team by far is the midfield 3. They've allowed us to play how we do. To stay high up the pitch, to close down quickly when we lose possession, to load the bullets for the front 3. To dominate possession, unlock parked buses.

It comes down to a straight decision between Silva and DeBruyne for me. I keep changing my mind who deserves it the most. It would be perfect if they won one award each. I think the FWA would be more inclined to consider Silva than the PFA would.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.