Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly once I started down the path of the UAE’s culture I negated to mention that Sheikh Mansour is our owner, although I did mention his family.

The fact is the Al-Nahyan’s govern the UAE using a deeply conservative Islamic Sharia, so I think it’s a safe bet that our ultimate owner who belongs to this very family, holding key roles within the state apparatus also maintains the same views. I did clearly state he should be applauded for getting behind causes here that would be at odds with those views however, the same ones you listed.

Lastly, I stated you cannot apply Western held views of human rights to the UAE and broader region. However it is a fact that they have aligned more with how the West see the world since their formation in 1971.

Totally agree that we have hold no better record on Human Rights etc than them, especially given Iraq etc.

Not even sure Mansour holds key roles in the government, to be honest. He is deputy prime minister (one of three and not even the most senior) in an absolute monarchy. He probably has some familial influence, but power? I don't think so. And as for minister of presidential affairs, that just makes him first season Jim Hacker. I don't think we should just accept that Mansour has an important role in the governance of the UAE.

Admittedly once I started down the path of the UAE’s culture I negated to mention that Sheikh Mansour is our owner, although I did mention his family.

The fact is the Al-Nahyan’s govern the UAE using a deeply conservative Islamic Sharia, so I think it’s a safe bet that our ultimate owner who belongs to this very family, holding key roles within the state apparatus also maintains the same views. I did clearly state he should be applauded for getting behind causes here that would be at odds with those views however, the same ones you listed.

Lastly, I stated you cannot apply Western held views of human rights to the UAE and broader region. However it is a fact that they have aligned more with how the West see the world since their formation in 1971.

Totally agree that we have hold no better record on Human Rights etc than them, especially given Iraq etc.
I'm not an expert on the UAE but while they are obviously Muslims and run their state on basic Islamic principles, I don't think it's right to call them "deeply conservative". Places like Saudi, Afghanistan, Pakistan are all more conservative as far as religious observance is concerned. And our own owner was educated at Community College in California, which wouldn't be an obvious choice for someone with deeply conservative religious views.

If I look closer to home, in the Jewish areas of North Manchester, I will find people who live deeply conservative religious lives, more akin to the 17th/18th Eastern European lives their ancestors would have lived. They simply don't live in the same world as the rest of us and have no desire to. But I'll also find people who are quite religious but lead pretty normal lives that would be pretty recognisable by most on here.

I'm not an expert on the UAE but while they are obviously Muslims and run their state on basic Islamic principles, I don't think it's right to call them "deeply conservative". Places like Saudi, Afghanistan, Pakistan are all more conservative as far as religious observance is concerned. And our own owner was educated at Community College in California, which wouldn't be an obvious choice for someone with deeply conservative religious views.

If I look closer to home, in the Jewish areas of North Manchester, I will find people who live deeply conservative religious lives, more akin to the 17th/18th Eastern European lives their ancestors would have lived. They simply don't live in the same world as the rest of us and have no desire to. But I'll also find people who are quite religious but lead pretty normal lives that would be pretty recognisable by most on here.
I am on an American football site and there are a couple of people on there who will not write the word God, they always put G-D G.d etc

When I asked why they said it was to do with something in their Jewish religion that forbids them to write the name of god.

Or something like that, I just thought that was a bit over the top in 2020 (at the time)

Last edited:
I am on an American football site and there are a couple of people on there who will not right the word God, they always put G-D G.d etc

When I asked why they said it was to do with something in their Jewish religion that forbids them to write the name of god.

Or something like that, I just thought that was a bit over the top in 2020 (at the time)
Would that not be the name of G-D?

Too busy watching the clock to go out once my lad gets up from down south.

Nope, just us
I wrote something in KOTK a few years back about this. Someone told me that united insisted on their full title so that's what I wrote.

Stuart Brennan kindly contacted me and explained that the Trinity Mirror SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) team had worked out that printing the full united name got significantly more hits than 'man utd' whereas it didn't make any appreciable difference with us. So that's why they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.